been thinking of turbo again....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Seany-izzle

Whats up fellas? Well ive been thinking that i would like to go turbo. I should of just kept myold parts, but i needed the money more than the turbo. Well i just wanted to see what you think of this setup id like to put together.

This car is NOT for track, drag or auto-x. I'd justlike a little more oomph around town, more of a point and squirt car, something with good low to mid range power more than peak hp. This would be going on a d16y8..i have the rsr exmag exhaust (the quiet one), i just bought it this past summer and i reallllllly dont want to replace it, I should be fine using that right?

heres the list of parts im thinking of, let me know if i left anything out and shit..

- ihi rhb5 turbo or a tdo5h, but id rather the ihi for the t3 flanges.
- johnny racecar classic 5/6 inch intercooler (i may just use the probe ic if i stil have it at my parents house..)
- i pm'ed hotrex about a mani, a mini ram style or possibly just a log, im keeping p/s, no arguement about that, but i can live w/o ac.
- Custom DP
- p28 with obd2->1 harness (who makes them? pm me por favor) One thing though, do i NEED a p28, could i just as easily get a dx ecu, and get it programmed for vtec and all that???
- friend burns chrome chips.
- stealthmode oil lines
- 1g dsm bov (unless i can find piping with a bov on it.... hmmm)
- custom charge pipes
- dsm blue top injectors (unless anyone has any recommendations, but money IS a factor)
- walbro fuelpump
- i have a boost gauge, so ill just need a oil pres and an egt gauge.
- already have a turbo timer as well.

Thats all that i came up with off the top of my head when i was in class tonight. I HOPE to build all this for a grand (up to 1300), less if possible. If i were to do this id put on some new belts, new hg, and a new timing belt (its about that time anyways)

So how does this all look? I am going homemade route, so dont say "buy a kit", because i wont listen. Ive been looking at the SS AutoChrome piping and ic kits as well as their mani and dp sets, i know i know... edit: nevermind, realized id need to use one of their turbos for the mani and dp kits... no thanks to that, but im still considering the ic kit, unless someone can come up with something better for around the same price or less...
If anyone has any parts, knows anyone with parts, anything... let me know. I wont have money until mid next month seeing as i dont have a job and school ends at the end April.

thanks guys. :mrgreen:

Sounds like a nice budget setup, you usually can find whole IC piping kits for civics and such on ebay, or just piece together your own with random piping and bends in which you can buy.

Sounds like a decent budget list- but the IHI RHB5 is still a tad small. You're really going to run into a wall up top.

Sounds good to me too. As far as the turbo goes - I'd go witha 14B DSM turbo. A lot of D-series guys run them and are happy. Although not meant for your turbo, SSAC piping may be able to be made to fit your setup. You'll also wanna look at an adjustable fuel pres. regulator as well.

Yup. The DSM 14B is definitely an excellent budget pick for homebrew turbo Hondas. It's one of the better and bigger ones you can pull from an OEM application.

yeah, i was looking at those, the only thing that turns me off is the gay compressor housing with that dumb outlet you need a flange for... although ive heard of people being able to put t25 housings on em... im not sure if it requires more than just the housing...

Ji's old civic hatch had the IHI RHB5 and it pulled great, almost all the awy up to redline, full 10psi at under 3k?? sign me up. i imagine a 14b would do just about the same.

edit: ohhhhhh shit, check out this homemad top mount mani... cost: 50 bucks.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1564066&page=1

heres his dyno sheet with the new mani.. http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=59512.0 scroll 1/2 way down.. there is no real hp difference from his old mani (ssautoshieeet), but its more durable plus he is making more tq, too.

yeah yeah, but thats what im lookin for, it does not flow as well as real top mounts, hell, its better than a log manifold....

anyone who can make mani's and dp's hit me up!
anyone with parts hit me up!
anyone with friends, le tme know!!!

im in college, im poor, HS discount always appreciated!!! :p

I'm not sure if you would be interested, but I have a 14B with about 30K on it and no shaft play at all. I'd sell it for 100 shipped with the nice Stainless outlet elbow. PM if youre interested.

I used to have a t20 turbo specialties kit on my 00 ex and loved it, but I love the home made route!!! Grass routes baby! I'm thinking of going this route with my s2000. Any ways it might be a little out of budget but check out this bad ass intercooler I'm thinking about for the 2000.Big Cooler Good luck with the kit!!!

boomslang.us makes conversion harness and so does xenocron.com
I just ordered mine from boomslang on saturday and it was here monday evening. 85 bucks shipped
as for the ecu...p28's are like 120 bucks when you find them. you could always use a p06 and do the vtec conversion on it. I've done one, it was the same difficulty as chipping the ecu...not really too hard. you might end up spending more money on the p06+vtec conversion chip kit.

Back