bent valve(s)?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GlassHeadlights

West West Yall
in my dads 91 civic si (d16a6) we tried to move the timing belt 1 tooth on the cam gear to fix the timing and when we turned it over the mark we made on the t belt and the gear were about 10 teeth off. then we pulled the #1 spark plug and put the cam gear to "up" and stuck the t belt back on and it runs fine again but under acceleration it makes a bit of a ticking/rattleing noise.then when crusing it is silent and sounds fine. i heard that when timing belts break they usually bend a valve or more, and i was wondering if we may have. keep in mind we havent set the timing or anything.

Yeah being 10 teeth off will make the pstons and vavles get pissed off at each other. If its ticking you couldve tweaked a valve a little.

Hey man Im new to the honda world of swaps. I have done swaps on lots of American made and German made cars n Subaru . My buddy is crazy about Honda del sol and he finaly bought one. Its a 93 1.5 L. he was woundering if i can do a swap with a 1.6 vtec. I dont know too much about this swap i have oned 4 hondas so far but never done any swaps. Can u help me out on is the harnes need to be changed, does the trans fit, and which 1.6 should i b looking for? wut year of of wut car? Thanks a lot in advance.

First off, start your own thread. Second, you don't want a 1.6vtec, you want a 1.2. Carbed.

Congrats on spelling vtec correctly the first time.

Hey man Im new to the honda world of swaps. I have done swaps on lots of American made and German made cars n Subaru . My buddy is crazy about Honda del sol and he finaly bought one. Its a 93 1.5 L. he was woundering if i can do a swap with a 1.6 vtec. I dont know too much about this swap i have oned 4 hondas so far but never done any swaps. Can u help me out on is the harnes need to be changed, does the trans fit, and which 1.6 should i b looking for? wut year of of wut car? Thanks a lot in advance.

Why dont you try buying a new timing belt tensioner. When the bearing inside begins the end of its "life", it will tick intermittently until it becomes a steady ticking. This sound can easily be mistaken for a valve tappet noise. Using a mechanics stethoscope you can determine whether its the tensioner or the valves. Since you said it jumped 10 teeth on the timing belt, I would do a cylinder leakage test to see if anything is getting by those valves just for clarification.

wait you made a mark on the timing belt and the camgear??
that never works it will always be off when you rotate it,,,the only true way to check is to set the number one piston to TDC..and set the cam,

wait you made a mark on the timing belt and the camgear??
that never works it will always be off when you rotate it,,,the only true way to check is to set the number one piston to TDC..and set the cam,
thats what we ended up doing when it got so far off, after school today i checked the compression and they are all PERFECT at 185 psi, so that ruled out a valve, so whats next, a timing belt tensioner? it only ticks under a load. when parked and you rev it its fine, and if i spun a bearing i would defintally know by now, right?

o ya, and i know its not the best thing to do but when doing 20mph in 3rd gear then putting the pedal doun it is really loud.

o ya, and i know its not the best thing to do but when doing 20mph in 3rd gear then putting the pedal doun it is really loud.

i wouldnt suggest doing that my timin was off and my Cams got pissed off and bent each other... so i had to get a new head

thats what we ended up doing when it got so far off, after school today i checked the compression and they are all PERFECT at 185 psi, so that ruled out a valve, so whats next, a timing belt tensioner? it only ticks under a load. when parked and you rev it its fine, and if i spun a bearing i would defintally know by now, right?

Just because you passed a compression test, that doesnt mean your valves arent damaged. The correct test is a cylinder leakage test. Its very easy to do.

i think i screwed the head, it idles like crap and its missing. i think one or more of the valves are not sealing and not enough compression is being made, or at least its not balanced. how do i do that cylinder leakage test? good news is that i have a spare BRAND SPANKIN' NEW head to put on it.

Last edited:
The cylinder leakage test needs to be done with shop air, so unless you have the proper tools to perform this test (which I doubt), than pay a reputable shop to do the test, or just put the new head on.

Well thats it, I had it running again May 10 and running perfect. June 5, yesterday, 5 miles away from home it all of the sudden ran like crap, no boom, no noise, nothing. Black, white and blue smoke was pouring out of the pipe within a second. Got it home right away and let it cool down then did a compression test and number 3 cylider has 0 compression. Could this be from the timing belt being out awhile back, doesn't matter. I'm rebuilding the whole engine with a z6 head on top.YAY:) The thing that pissed me off was that I just spent $50 worth of synthetic oil the day before, and yes i put the drain plug back in. The dipstick still reads full.

oem, stock a6 pistons, i think it is a headgasket too but my dad thinks it might be a hole in the piston, i dunno.

i think its a headgasket because now and then a fair ammount of coolant would dissappear. and i think it heald up as long as it could then it finally let go. the motor had never been rebuilt and it made it to 230k miles.

Back