Best Agp Vid Card

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brc80

Like the topic says whats the best video card you can get for an agp motherboard.

the top-end cards aren't available in AGP so I'd say the Nvidia 6600GT. Not sure what the ATi one is since nvidia is kinda romping on em again IMO.

Yeah my board doesnt have pci-e so im not to worried about that, but there has to be a better carth then my 5200, i was looking at the ati800xl seems to be the best agp card out at the moment.

either that or try to get your hands on a x850 xt pe.

but i think for you to be upgrading to the most expensive card isnt a smart decision. why upgrade to something that is dying?? for that 400 dollars i rather spend it on a new motherboard cpu and decent card combo.

you can pick up an SLi combo or Crossfire (just came out) motherboard for like 140, decent amd 64 processor for like 150-300, and a decent card for another 200-250. this way you'll have pci-e, sata, firewire, dual channel, and possibly dual core. then if you fill like you want to upgrade later you can always pop in another card when you have extra cash. many games are starting to utilize sli and the 6600gts can be picked up for a 120 or so after rebates.

however, if youre stuck on the agp and dont want to upgrade, picking an x800xl for 250 or so isnt bad either because if you have a good processor, most of the bottlenecking will be in the video card and ram.

so it if youre spending between 200-300 id pick up a x800xl. if youre spending more id rather go with a new system because you'll get more stuff than just better graphics. most of the sli boards come with dual gigabit lan, 8 sata 1 or 2 connectors, pci-e, firewire, integrated 7.1 surround sound, dual channel ram (doesnt really matter but gain like 5% in performance) and dual core support.

x800xl or the 6600GT...depending on the budget. Unless a manufacturer has done it since i was REALLY into computer hardware, i do not think the 6600GT has a 256MB version...if it does, thats my recommendation. If not, go with the x800xl...its a good card and in a 256MB option, there isnt a whole lot in the price range that will beat it.

My problem is i have a good board, amd64 3200, and sata, only problem with the board is no pci-e and im not that into games although i picked up f.e.a.r and my 5200 is killing me.

Whatever you do, don't buy ATI. Every product I've owned of theirs has sucked hard. Really hard. They don't know how to create a stable product nor can they program drivers worth a shit.

I say you get a 6800GT AGP, I know they make them, and it should perform damn well.

oh just what i was suspecting, a socket 754.

here are you options find a used ati 9800pro for 80ish and it will play games well or get a 6600gt. the 6600gt isnt THAT much better than 9800pro, but it is better.

if you're looking for one monarchcomputer had one for sale and its 130 after rebates. its an evga card and theyre a great company. you can trade in your card within 90 days. say you bought a 6600gt and wanted more performance. trade that for a 6800gt and pay the difference. also whats cool is now they offer lifetime warranty. it says 2 but its lifetime. check their website. make sure you have an extra molex plug and your power supply is at least a quality 350. if not, newegg has a tagan one for 25 after rebate. its a 380watt with 22a on ur 12v.

i recommended these upgrades along with another 512mb for my friend's hp and he seems really happy about the performance gains.

here is the power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817101508

unfornately i think the 6600gt deal is dead, but it may come back again.

either those choices or pick up the ati 800xl. i cant agree with citizen, but many people seem to like the card and ive never had any experinece with ati so i cant say, but itll be around 200-250, but imo thats over kill because you said you didnt game. the 6600gt should be plenty eye candy for resolutions up to 1024x764 or maybe even more if you have a tendency to overclock :mrgreen:

yeah. im with the say no to ATI guys.

we have G5 macs running the x850 card. it works AWESOME for them.

in the CAD pc's, not so good. i will be soon swapping them out for some high-end nvidia card.

then one of those x800's will make its way to my monster desktop. still way better than my current ti4200.

I'd say watch newegg for a couple weeks and get a 6600GT.

I know they come in 256mb and agp because my brother has one. It performs quite a bit better than my ati 9800xt.

ATi cards are fine, my 800Pro was almost as good as the 7800, nothing wrong with them. 6600GT is fine also.

Quadro FX4400 - I am pretty sure they make an agp version of thiss card. It's probably not what you are looking for, unless you are into 3d rendering. not for gaming.

Quoted post[/post]]
oh just what i was suspecting, a socket 754.

here are you options find a used ati 9800pro for 80ish and it will play games well or get a 6600gt. the 6600gt isnt THAT much better than 9800pro, but it is better.

if you're looking for one monarchcomputer had one for sale and its 130 after rebates. its an evga card and theyre a great company. you can trade in your card within 90 days. say you bought a 6600gt and wanted more performance. trade that for a 6800gt and pay the difference. also whats cool is now they offer lifetime warranty. it says 2 but its lifetime. check their website. make sure you have an extra molex plug and your power supply is at least a quality 350. if not, newegg has a tagan one for 25 after rebate. its a 380watt with 22a on ur 12v.

i recommended these upgrades along with another 512mb for my friend's hp and he seems really happy about the performance gains.

here is the power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817101508

unfornately i think the 6600gt deal is dead, but it may come back again.

either those choices or pick up the ati 800xl. i cant agree with citizen, but many people seem to like the card and ive never had any experinece with ati so i cant say, but itll be around 200-250, but imo thats over kill because you said you didnt game. the 6600gt should be plenty eye candy for resolutions up to 1024x764 or maybe even more if you have a tendency to overclock :mrgreen:

No its socket 939 just no pci-e, it kinds sucks.

Quoted post[/post]]
yeah. im with the say no to ATI guys.

we have G5 macs running the x850 card. it works AWESOME for them.

in the CAD pc's, not so good. i will be soon swapping them out for some high-end nvidia card.

then one of those x800's will make its way to my monster desktop. still way better than my current ti4200.

thats because those are cad PCs...get a FireGL card for that mess...the x-series was designed for games not CAD rendering.

We had some kind of 3dLabs card (i think it was Realizm) running in our R&D computer in highschool (basically for students with internships that knew wtf they were doing), and that thing rendered to our 2 21" monitors like I wasnt doing anything. If memory serves is was a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 HT with 2GB of RAM. We could render Brice, Inventor, Arch Desktop, AutoCAD 3D, Engineering Desktop and 3D Studio faster than i could think. I wish i had that computer...but the card cost more than my current computer from what i remember.

why not just switch to a pci-e board?? you can find some good ones for around 100 or so move up to SLi for additional 20-30 like the DFI boards. then you can get a bad ass 7800gt that would kill a 6800gt and consume less power. that or get an ati x800gt02 by sapphire. many people have been able to unlock all 16 pixel pipelines and getting x850xt pe speeds for around 200-250 which is crazy. better hurry, its flying off the shelves.

Yup and the GTX. Both are essentially the same except the GTX is clocked higher. The 7800GT is the best bang for the buck. Faster and cooler than the 6800 Ultra.

Back