best autocross car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

ok here it is i was looking for a car that i could use for everyday driving and then at the autocross. My sol is under the knife for a suspension and minor power for autocross. Well being in NE and having a sol with all race mods its not fun on the road.

Now im looking into a car that can have some balls and be used on the street. I would bring both cars to autocross so my GF has something to do. I have a low budget of about $2500 for a car. I was looking into a MX6 LS V6. They seem decent and some have leather. This doesnt have to be all out race but would this be a good contender? Any other cars?

a 92+ nissan maxima se is a damn good cantidate- good power, luxury, handles decent, and lots of room.

except the 92-94 have a horrible valve problem that have an adjusment made at wrong times....

so I agree with the maxima part... but 95+ wins that debate... especially the se with the 5speed.... mmmmm good times..

You guys are all pussys. I dare you to show me a maxima thats better then a civic on the AutoX course.

Civic 4dr Sedan DX
102-hp, 1.5-liter I-4 Standard
Manual transmission 5 speed
Automatic transmission : 4 speed Optional
Overdrive Standard
Axle ratio 4.25
Axle ratio : 4.33 Optional
Fuel economy city 34 mpg
Fuel economy highway 40 mpg
Fuel tank capacity 12 gal.
Engine displacement 91 cu.in.
Engine horsepower 102-hp
Engine torque 98 lb.-ft.
Front tires 175/70SR13.0
Rear tires 175/70SR13.0
Curb weight: 2480

24.3 lbs: 1 hp
25.3 lbs: 1 ft/lb

Maxima 4dr Sedan SE
190-hp, 3.0-liter V-6 Standard
Manual transmission 5 speed
Automatic transmission : 4 speed Optional
Axle ratio 3.82
Axle ratio : 3.62 Optional
Engine horsepower 190-hp
Engine torque 205 lb.-ft.
Front tires 215/60HR15.0
Rear tires 215/60HR15.0
Curb weight: 3146

16.55 lbs: 1 hp
15.34 lbs: 1 ft/lb

Civic 2dr Hatchback Si
Engines
160-hp, 2.0-liter I-4 See Specs Standard
Transmissions
5-speed manual w/OD See Specs Standard
Engine horsepower 160-hp @ 6,500 rpm
Engine torque 132 lbs.-ft. @ 5,000 rpm
Curb weight 2,782 lbs.
17.38 lbs: 1 hp
21.06 lbs: 1 ft/lb

Maxima 4dr Sedan 3.5 SE
265-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 See Specs Standard
6-speed manual w/OD See Specs Available
P245/45VR18.0 BSW AS tires Standard
Engine horsepower 265-hp @ 5,800 rpm
Engine torque 255 lbs.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm
Curb weight 3,473 lbs.
13.10 lbs: 1 hp
13.61 lbs: 1 ft/lb

.... ummm you might want to think about what you just said...

Ummm....... you might want to think about what was asked in the first place, and then about what i said. He says "best" i doubt out of the civic line up if im trying to get the (best) car for AutoX im gonnna run to the first Sedan i see :D You must have thought you were gonna get away with trying to be a smart ass or you wouldint have said what you said, seeing as how i didint finger any one model civic.

And if i had sumed it up with (CRX) would you have still considered posting your lil comparo?..........I doubt it.

Now had the thread been " Best sedan autoX car" you might have a point, but it isint and you dont.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Oct 14 2004, 10:09 PM
91 ford aerostar XL
[post=402779]Quoted post[/post]​

funny I have a 94 aerostar XL! Haha anyone wanna buy it $500! best autocross car eva :lol:

1990 CRX 1.6i
150 bhp@7600 rpm
106 lbft@7100 rpm
Front tire: 195/60 R 14
Rear tire: 195/60 R 14
Weight: 2260

15.06 lbs: 1 hp
21.32 lbs: 1 ft/lb

soo... uhh I still win?? or is that not the specific one you were talking about....

so with a power range between 7100 and 7600.... 500rpms of a power range and pretty damn high....

the CRX can handle and stuff, but i thought the most hp they ever had was around 130hp; at least USDM Si's. I know first hand a Maxima will smoke a CRX in a straight line :p

i like maximas but they cant be had for cheap.

My friend has a 96 max (190hp) and I killed it in my sol with i/h/e off the line and rolling from 30

here in the US, the most powerful engine was in the 2nd gen gen CRX with 108hp. But in autocross, who gives a shit about power? Why do you think that 250whp+ honda's suck at autocross. I have seen almost dead stock enginewise ford feista with suspension and hoosiers pull some of the best times of the day.

i dont think you are gonna get a good autocross car for that much. no matter what it is mx-6, civic, maxima, 200sx....they still wont handle very good. maximas can beat civics in a straight line, but they wont be able to keep up on an autocross course.

Originally posted by SolPWR@Oct 14 2004, 11:39 AM
ok here it is i was looking for a car that i could use for everyday driving and then at the autocross. My sol is under the knife for a suspension and minor power for autocross. Well being in NE and having a sol with all race mods its not fun on the road.

Now im looking into a car that can have some balls and be used on the street. I would bring both cars to autocross so my GF has something to do. I have a low budget of about $2500 for a car. I was looking into a MX6 LS V6. They seem decent and some have leather. This doesnt have to be all out race but would this be a good contender? Any other cars?
[post=402532]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, thats about what my girlfriend and I payed for our miata. Though its lacking in the "balls" department it is still a fun car that handles incredibly well stock.

I vote for an EF hatch or a CRX. Followed by an EG hatch. For your budget of $2500, with the first two choices, you can get a decent one and still have some money left over to mod it up a little. EG hatches are my personal favorite though as a great all around car for both work and fun. Your Sol doesn't have much cargo area, so a Civic hatch would also be a practical choice.

Back