Best Cam's For Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slow hatch

people have told me civic type r cam's work good with turbo or interga type r ,which cam is better, not just those two , other one's too

may i offer a suggestion though....

cams should be the LAST thing you do to get MORE power.
use the turbo. 1 psi = $800 in cams

GSR cams for vtec turbo, LS for non-vtec turbo. Stock Honda cams are awesome, don't doubt the power you can make with stock honda cams. So save your money and give them a try.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the GSR cams have a longer duration (which is better for FI) than the B16 cams and I think the lift is generally the same. For FI, it is better to have a low lift, and long duration cam....just better for boost.

the duration of the gsr is minimally bigger compared to the b16

Specs from Civic Si
advertised duration
Int-265 mid
Exh-267 mid
@ 50
Int-219 mid
Exh-214 mid

lift
Int-.412 mid
Exh-.379 mid

Specs from GSR
advertised
Int-274 mid
Exh-276 mid
@50
Int-230 mid
Exh-216 mid

lift
Int-.423 mid
Exh-.378 mid

It's duration that causes overlap that makes one set of cams better than another.

B16a cams have fairly high overlap even though duration is less than the GSR.

The GSR engine was designed to feel torquey, so it has less overlap, slightly longer duration, and significantly more lift than the b16a cams.

There are really two options that I have heard that are best for factory cammed turbo B series VTEC's.

GSR cams with stock gears work REALLY well out of the box. No tuning required.

ITR or B16a cams with cam gears and the overlap dialed out <meaning advance the exhaust, and/or retard the intake slightly>. This will cause the valves open period to not overlap so much and make the boost stay in the combustion chamber instead of jsut blowing straight through, and leaving the scavenging effect of valve timing in the dust.

This is all theory, but theory that has been used time and time again with very nice results.

FYI, I am selling my ITR cams for $300, and I jsut picked up a set of decent 80k mile GSR cams for $50. You do the math.

GSR with no cam gears needed = $50 bolt in for power, or $300 + gears + tuning gears?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 2 2003, 02:11 AM
may i offer a suggestion though....

cams should be the LAST thing you do to get MORE power.
use the turbo. 1 psi = $800 in cams

never thought of it that way.....

Back