Best Car for 6-8k

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Here's a good car..Plus if you wanna do mods, Cameras are extremely modifiable..and easy to work on and get parts for...Not sure if your in the market for muscle cars??

1995 z28 camero

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Jun 23 2004, 03:06 PM-->
I don't think I would buy another civic/del sol again. I love the sol to death but its just not me anymore. All the coupes and sedans that I've driven have had the same problem with rough rides, loud on the highway, and dont hold up very well after 80-90mph. I do a lot of highway driving and thats why I was thinking about the ride and comfort of the 325is. i can get like a '92 325is with 90-100k on it for around 6-7Gs, i can get a bit newer like '95 with 100-125k on it for about the same price.

Interesting... my car is extremely stable cruising at speeds well above the legal limit on the highway, but my idea of a comfortable ride and yours are probably completely different. If you can get a mid 90s 3 series BMW in your price range, go for it.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Jun 23 2004, 03:06 PM
I thought about a prelude but the retail is still pretty high on them, i've never actually driven/riden in one and i dont know if the power/torque i want is there especially in the years that i would have to get to fulfill my price requirements.

I don't know if the torque would be enough for you if you want something to kick you back in your seat- but you might head over to a used car lot and try one out. I honestly think the Preludes are pretty overpriced- but they are nice cars.

In the end, I don't even know if I'm going to be able to cough up anymore than 6Gs by the end of summer and even then I might need to take out a loan for the car with college coming up and all. First step is to find a steady decent paying job but i just wanted to get researching some cars early so when the time comes i know exactly what i want.

Maybe a Camry V6?

I'm not even sure with 160hp and around the same amount of torque, that the 2.5RS will fulfill my wants and needs but it was apealing because i wont have enough for the wrx but it still has awd. anyone have experience with the impreza 2.5rs? or anyone have specs on the 325iS, 2.5Rs, and the 300zx? Its hard searching google for specs anymore because damn msn reviews come up and take up all the results.

I've ridden in an AWD 2.5RS in an autocross- those things really move. They're very quick, and they can run around the turns way better than you expect. Go test drive one.

corvetteguy
@Jun 23 2004, 03:27 PM
Here's a good car..Plus if you wanna do mods, Cameras are extremely modifiable..and easy to work on and get parts for...Not sure if your in the market for muscle cars??

1995 z28 camero

You mean Camaro, not Camera or Camero right? :lol:

Hehe yeah my typing sucks :) I lurned 2 tipe withe huked on fonex, itt reely wurked fore mi, now i cann tipe 2 al mi frends

Originally posted by corvetteguy+Jun 23 2004, 03:24 PM-->
New2TheCarScene
@Jun 23 2004, 03:09 PM
Here's a '92 325iS with mods, that has 51k on it for 7,800

here

Dead link?

Let me try to fix it. They probably don't like remote hosting.

As far as the camaro, I like them but they would be a gas guzzler, insurance would be high, maintenance may be high, and I couldnt have a full time convertible anymore...unless it was a bmw z3 for the right price or an audi tt. :worthy:
T tops however may be a very nice option, and I would definately want a sun/moonroof.

As far as the camry...maybe, I don't know. I half thought about a maxima as well, they're not bad cars.

As far as the 2.5RS thats good to hear, I'm never going to take a car to the drag strip that i can forsee in the near future, but i do like to enjoy myself around the turns and would certainly like a car that could easily go 85-90mph on the highway and do 100+ if i need to pass someone in a hurry or if i'm in a hurry. Like someone else said, they may be out of my price range though...even with 100k on them. I'm looking for basically between 6-7k if I can manage.

BTW, thank you, you two for the help

Originally posted by corvetteguy@Jun 23 2004, 04:09 PM
Hehe yeah my typing sucks :) I lurned 2 tipe withe huked on fonex, itt reely wurked fore mi, now i cann tipe 2 al mi frends

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I'm on my girlfriend's comp and I have to backspace four times before this keyboard finally responds and puts down the right letters. I'm about to slug the damn thing.

I'm not even sure with 160hp and around the same amount of torque, that the 2.5RS will fulfill my wants and needs but it was apealing because i wont have enough for the wrx but it still has awd. anyone have experience with the impreza 2.5rs?

I don't think I would compare a stock 2.5rs with any of the cars you are looking at. They are nice cars, and feel VERY planted to the road, but they don't have a lot of power IMO. My integra kept up with it no problem on the streets, and that was with a stock b18a and an AEM cai. But it definitely has a better quality ride than the integra. It feels a good bit heavier, because it is, but it does feel more connected to the ground than the integra. I'd get one if I had the money, then turbo it.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jun 23 2004, 04:25 PM
I'm not even sure with 160hp and around the same amount of torque, that the 2.5RS will fulfill my wants and needs but it was apealing because i wont have enough for the wrx but it still has awd. anyone have experience with the impreza 2.5rs?

I don't think I would compare a stock 2.5rs with any of the cars you are looking at. They are nice cars, and feel VERY planted to the road, but they don't have a lot of power IMO. My integra kept up with it no problem on the streets, and that was with a stock b18a and an AEM cai. But it definitely has a better quality ride than the integra. It feels a good bit heavier, because it is, but it does feel more connected to the ground than the integra. I'd get one if I had the money, then turbo it.

See it doesnt have to be some supercar, I hear the 325is handles gorgeous and is pretty powerful, but i think its 1/4 mile is still like 17sec. Although I had one piss all over my sol by what seemed like a lot more than that and it was stock.

If i had the money, I would just get the WRX but my car is basically in self destruct mode and its pointless to put money into...plus I travel a lot and the Sol is becoming a chore to drive as opposed to the fun it once was, so i want something pretty much by summer's end. Or early if someone would be so kind as to run into the back of my car and total it for good.

The link works if you cut/paste it.

Even if the cars aren't all that fast in the quarter mile, the better ride and higher torque numbers will make the car feel like it's not working as hard to accelerate. It'll be more comfortable than a higher strung Honda that can still run the same quarter mile time.

That looks like a really nice Beamer....They seem to put alot of work into the car.......The KBB value is only 5920 but they have lots of aftermarket mods...Might be worth it....51k is nothing on that motor...See the KBB report below

Connecticut • June 23, 2004
1992 BMW 3 Series 325is Coupe 2D

Engine: 6-Cyl. 2.5 Liter
Trans: 5 Speed Manual
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 51,000

Search Listings for This Car

Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Multi Compact Disc
Premium Sound
Front Side Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Sliding Sun Roof
Rear Spoiler
Premium Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Excellent
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks great, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. It should pass a smog inspection. The engine compartment should be clean, with no fluid leaks. The paint is glossy and the body and interior are free of any wear or visible defects. There is no rust. The tires are the proper size and match and are new or nearly new. A clean title history is assumed. This is an exceptional vehicle.

Private Party Value Search Local Listings for This Car $5,920
Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.

1990-1995 Thunderbird SC $2000-7000
310 ft/tq stock!!!!
not great at turns but hella torque!!!!

~1996 GTi VR6<---- awesome handling and V6 power $7000

Originally posted by corvetteguy@Jun 23 2004, 09:08 PM
That looks like a really nice Beamer....They seem to put alot of work into the car.......The KBB value is only 5920 but they have lots of aftermarket mods...Might be worth it....51k is nothing on that motor...See the KBB report below

Connecticut • June 23, 2004
1992 BMW 3 Series 325is Coupe 2D

Engine: 6-Cyl. 2.5 Liter
Trans: 5 Speed Manual
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 51,000

Search Listings for This Car

Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Multi Compact Disc
Premium Sound
Front Side Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Sliding Sun Roof
Rear Spoiler
Premium Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Excellent
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks great, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. It should pass a smog inspection. The engine compartment should be clean, with no fluid leaks. The paint is glossy and the body and interior are free of any wear or visible defects. There is no rust. The tires are the proper size and match and are new or nearly new. A clean title history is assumed. This is an exceptional vehicle.

Private Party Value Search Local Listings for This Car $5,920
Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.

Yeah and chances of him getting that extra money for those mods is pretty slim, so I might be able to offer a bunch less.

Originally posted by SolPWR@Jun 24 2004, 12:01 AM
1990-1995 Thunderbird SC $2000-7000
310 ft/tq stock!!!!
not great at turns but hella torque!!!!

~1996 GTi VR6<---- awesome handling and V6 power $7000

How many miles would be on it for 7k? The newer the car, the more the insurance cost...and i'm too lazy to go look up the kbb value.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Jun 23 2004, 12:50 PM-->
Originally posted by driverunknown@Jun 23 2004, 12:03 AM
New2TheCarScene
@Jun 22 2004, 02:30 PM
I want something thats relatively quick and no 4 bangers that I have to rev to 6k to get some power.  <after driving the sol and then a mustang gt, i cant stand the 4 banger with no power)

I just don't know if I could stand only having 160hp...

Sounds like a :mullet:

Go do some research and look in to power:weight ratios.

Sounds like I drive a Del Sol and every car in my driveway is 1.5-2.5L 4cyl 5spd...and I know what the hell a four cylinder car is like.

From driving a GT for 500+ miles at a time, I also know what the hell a 8 cyclinder car is like and 6cyl seems to be a good middle ground.

I understand power to weight ratio, I also understand that torque means a hell of a lot more than horsepower and most four bangers dont have very much torque at all. I like being able to put someone back in their seat, and to get up to and take off at highway speeds easily. A modest sedan can burn the Sol especially because its a 1.5L S, perhaps if it were the DOHC VTEC model then it wouldn't be so hard to wind the engine out to 90mph-100mph and not feel like the car is about to go into self destruct mode but I dont know.

Del sol + DOHC VTEC + Turbo = Problem solved.

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Jun 24 2004, 01:09 PM

That also = alot of downtime....Tell em Brian :p

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si+Jun 24 2004, 01:09 PM-->
Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Jun 23 2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by driverunknown@Jun 23 2004, 12:03 AM
New2TheCarScene
@Jun 22 2004, 02:30 PM
I want something thats relatively quick and no 4 bangers that I have to rev to 6k to get some power.  <after driving the sol and then a mustang gt, i cant stand the 4 banger with no power)

I just don't know if I could stand only having 160hp...

Sounds like a :mullet:

Go do some research and look in to power:weight ratios.

Sounds like I drive a Del Sol and every car in my driveway is 1.5-2.5L 4cyl 5spd...and I know what the hell a four cylinder car is like.

From driving a GT for 500+ miles at a time, I also know what the hell a 8 cyclinder car is like and 6cyl seems to be a good middle ground.

I understand power to weight ratio, I also understand that torque means a hell of a lot more than horsepower and most four bangers dont have very much torque at all. I like being able to put someone back in their seat, and to get up to and take off at highway speeds easily. A modest sedan can burn the Sol especially because its a 1.5L S, perhaps if it were the DOHC VTEC model then it wouldn't be so hard to wind the engine out to 90mph-100mph and not feel like the car is about to go into self destruct mode but I dont know.

Yeah except the quality of the ride and the little amount of sound deadening material in the car isnt very great. Plus for a DOHC VTEC sol in decent condition with 80-100k on it i can still expect to pay 5k for and atleast another 2-3k for a turbo to be set up, being as i dont have the tools to work on it and it would have to be professionally done.

Also the leaking during the rain, after I've opened the door once and the seals are wet...gets to be a pain in the ass.

I love my sol, but its becoming like a kiddy car. I took it out today, on some big wide open road in PA and took it to 80 as fast as it could go and thats the first time in months that I actually had an enjoyable ride in the car.

The z3 has always been like a dream car, even if its not the fastest but insurance + actual cost would be a big issue.

I thought you said you had a Del Sol already, which is why I said:

Back