best car for under $7k

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

djyox

I am looking for the car I get get the best performance out of for around $7k, doesn't need to be all speed, all take off, or all handling, just a good car that has a good amount of both, or the most you can get for a car around that...way older cars are welcome too.

i'd get a 97-98 grand prix. Thats what i have, except 2000. paid 8.5 for it. performance,handling and speed are enough for my requirements. :worthy:

If I were you, I wouldn't mind getting a 1996ish Mustang GT (maybe newer, not realy sure about prices) or a DSM.

If you got a DSM, the only way to go is AWD! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by dveit@Aug 15 2003, 05:42 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't mind getting a 1996ish Mustang GT (maybe newer, not realy sure about prices) or a DSM.

If you got a DSM, the only way to go is AWD! :thumbsup:

95 y0. You don't want that modular 4.6L.

DSM's are not very good for being reliable. I love them, but it's expensive to maintain one. If you do get a GSX or Talon TSI, make sure it's 97 or newer. 95-96 are very very bad for crankwalk and the bumper styling is much better on the 97+ ones.

a friend of mine bought a 1988 stang that has a couple of things done to it like a kit, headers, and that thing is FAST for well below your budget. I'd look at somethin like that. :p

Originally posted by Prowler@Aug 15 2003, 07:46 PM

DSM's are not very good for being reliable. I love them, but it's expensive to maintain one. If you do get a GSX or Talon TSI, make sure it's 97 or newer. 95-96 are very very bad for crankwalk and the bumper styling is much better on the 97+ ones.

Aren't the 4.6L's faster than the 5.0's?

Originally posted by SolPWR@Aug 15 2003, 06:12 PM
get a Eclipse GSX or a Pontiac trans am

i second the trans am thing.

i fell in love with them after i rode in my friend's '96 Trans Am w/ the LS1

Originally posted by dveit+Aug 15 2003, 06:54 PM-->
@Aug 15 2003, 07:46 PM

Aren't the 4.6L's faster than the 5.0's?

Depends what years, but yeah in some cases you're right.

A 4.6L GT from the early 90's is faster than a 5.slow from the same area.

Early ere 4.6s? They replaced the 5.0, it wasn't an option at the same time. The 4.6L has good stats and all, but if you're going to build up a car, it's definately wiser to go with a 5.0L

what do you guys think about suburu? a buddy of mine has one and he was talking me into that....if I look hard enough I could find a nice one for around that....maybe.

And we are talking totaly stock, not building up a car. So i don't want a CRX I pick up for $200 and then dump in $6800 into the motor, because I am taking out a loan to do this. I mean I will build it up sooner or later, just want a good platform to start with that will tickle my nuts when I play with it, a 240 isn't a bad idea....but around here you can hardly find one thats not an auto. and ontop of that, one that is in some what good cond.

:withstupid: Thats a damn nice car. Everyone will be like "its just a celica" and then you'll see em in the rearview.

AWD + turbo = :worthy:

what's the stock hp anyways?

edit.. BTW, that ebay alltrac posted above looks in the best shape i've ever seeen before, plus the engine bay looks FLAWLESS. :thumbsup:

USDM HP/ TQ is 200 each. JDM HP/ TQ is 225 each.

And yes, that AllTrac is in better condition than I've ever seen. ~$7000 for that thing would be a goddamn steal.

I agree wtih both Loco and B, both of you beat me to it. I used to have a talon tsi and I only ended up having it for like one month, shit just started to fall apart, big pos.

Milan

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 16 2003, 05:27 PM
3S-GTE engine (internals can handle 600 HP on just a head gasket swap), no driveline problems like DSMs, AWD, nobody knows what the hell it is, and stock, it's a damn fine car.

3S-GTE 600 hp on just a head gasket swap? holy shit i hope you're serious...

ST205 anyone?

Back