best car for under $7k

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by silver@Aug 17 2003, 01:32 AM

3S-GTE 600 hp on just a head gasket swap? holy shit i hope you're serious...

ST205 anyone?

Yes, the stock internals will handle 600 HP. However, the stock intercooler, turbo, exhaust manifold, downpipe, and fuel/ ignition maps won't.

As for the 205, we never got that here in the states, and it's not worth trying to duplicate/ import. Find a 185 or 165 and build that.

crx plus a nice swap and some suspension

He already said that he doesn't want to buy a CRX for $200 and put $6800 into it. He want a nice stock car that he can leave stock for a while.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 17 2003, 04:33 AM
crx plus a nice swap and some suspension

he just said before he didn't want to do that.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 16 2003, 05:27 PM
Celica AllTrac. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2427183192

3S-GTE engine (internals can handle 600 HP on just a head gasket swap), no driveline problems like DSMs, AWD, nobody knows what the hell it is, and stock, it's a damn fine car.

:blink: Holy shit, that is one fucken sweet car. how rare are these? I mean...I know nothing about these, toyota anything really....but I always did like the looks of a celica....I'm gonna do a search on these alltrac's and see if there is anything in my area...that would be a sweet ass sleeper some day, even the day I got it. sweet, keep any other ideas coming..I still got plenty of time before I should buy anyhow, or before I can really.

also, what were the years of the gens on those celicas? did they only make them in that body style for how meny years or what else do you guys know about em?

almost like a mini supra huh, power potential i guess :D

Milan

what do you guys think about a mr2 like 91 body style....can pick up a non turbo for less than $5k in mint cond. and I do know where I could pick up a turbo cheap, or maybe run across a turboed mr2....i did always like the looks of them, very sexy fucken cars.

Some info about the Celica AllTracs-

50/50 weight bias
50/50 power split
-It's a FWD car 'till the front wheels slip, then it takes 1/4 turn for the viscous coupler to lock up. You don't even feel it locking and unlocking.
200 HP @5600 RPM
200ft lbs from 2900 RPM to 5200 RPM
-JDM motors have 225/ 225 HP and TQ.
3350 lb curb weight
Full leather
10 speaker CD/ AM FM/ Casette stereo w/ factory 8" subs in the doors and a 250W factory amp
Cruise control, ABS, airbag, power everything and a tilt wheel that pops up when you take the key out so you can get out of the car easier. Put the key back in, and you can pull the steering wheel back down to your normal driving height.

Performance is right around what an ITR will do.

And yes, power output levels similar to a Supra, AND the ability to actually use all that power on the street. Toyota was getting 980 HP out of a 3S-GTE in their Pikes Peak hill climb cars and use the 3S-GTE in their JGTC Supras. Ever since the MK1 3S-GTE was produced in '88, it's been the world's most powerful production four cylinder. Current versions are putting out 265 HP and 280 ft lbs of torque. I've heard of more than a few 750 HP daily driven AllTracs cruising around Japan.

The driveline is so tough, all you have to do to handle 750 HP is throw in an aftermarket clutch. Unlike DSMs and Subees, it can handle the power for extended periods of time.

Production numbers were around 25,000 for the ST185 ('90- '93), and we got 2500 of 'em in North America. The '93 ST185 is the rarest here in North America, as only 80 were sold that year.

Here's mine: http://thenew.gamesbbs.com/~vassago/pictures/celica

If you're thinking MR2, better think of 93+ because the older ones handle like shit because of a problem.. i forgot what, but besides that their pretty bad ass.. but id say a 300ZX TT.. you can find some 90-91 TTs for a fair price and they make power just as easy as Supras, but actually get grip and no have 1000hp but run 12s..

91-92 MR2 had a problem of the rear end sliding out very easily, 93+ they fixed it and added the new generation 3S-GTE

some people wouldnt mind being prone to oversteer

I found a GREAT deal on an 87 mr2 for $450, had a bad clutch, and needed some body work, motor ran great, only bad thing about it was, the lady sold it when she knew I was coming out to look at it...but what can ya do. I wouldn't mind having the older box style mr2's I am thinking of just making an wanted list, of all the cars I would like to have and put that in the paper and see if anyone bites on that. looked for alltrac's and couldn't find any for under $10k, so I think that idea is going to leave my mind. but mr2 I have loved from the first time I saw one. also don't mind older supra's, one of my buddys was trying to talk me into a merkur scropio or something like that, 4 banger turbo, he said it was a total sleaper, and I saw it...and they are one hell of an ugly car. I don't know...keep the ideas coming. what do you guys think about the 1st gen mr2's? I've seen some super/turboed I don't know if they came stock like this or if they added it on later?

yeah...worth getting one just a normal one rather than an alltrac?

Originally posted by djyox@Aug 18 2003, 04:03 PM

I personally wouldn't. The ST has 116 HP 1.6 DOHC motor, and the GT and GT-S have 140 HP 2.2L DOHC motors. Both are FWD. The only other Celica I'd get, other than the AllTrac would be an '85 or older GT. They were RWD and had the 22R motor. Boo yah.

The 4.6L (281 ci) modulars replaced the 5.0s in I think it was 96...the year after the new body style came out. The 96 GT will run 0-60 times of 6.5 seconds with the 281. The 302s were faster partially because they were in a lighter body.

I would go with the Trans Am, but that's because the TA and Camaro are two of my favorite cars. But AWD and a turbo equals some serious fun in the snow, rain and even on dry pavement.

Subarus are fun. but good luck trying to find a used one in fairly good shape for under $7k.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Aug 18 2003, 09:31 PM-->
@Aug 18 2003, 04:03 PM

I personally wouldn't. The ST has 116 HP 1.6 DOHC motor, and the GT and GT-S have 140 HP 2.2L DOHC motors. Both are FWD. The only other Celica I'd get, other than the AllTrac would be an '85 or older GT. They were RWD and had the 22R motor. Boo yah.

what year Celicas are you quoting? You're probably right, so I'm not going to argue those numbers... but the newest Celica GT has 140 hp/125 tq out of a 1.8 and the GTS has 180 hp/130 tq out of the same 1.8, with a higher compression ratio.

Of course those are over $7k so that's probably why you weren't talking about the newest ones.

I was talking about the ST184s- '90- '93, and ST204s- '94- '99. Weak cars. Although, the ST204 is a fine car handling wise. Throw the usual handling crap at it and it feels like a $40,000 sports car. Thing is, you still have the 5S-GE in there, so it feels like a $40,000 sports car powered by a $12,000 truck engine.

That's really the '86- '99 non AllTrac Celicas main problem- the engines. They were super reliable, bulletproof, and gave good economy, but they totally lacked power.

89 and before MR2..AW11 i think