best car for under $7k

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You can get a 95-96 240sx for around $5000 and if you wanted you could always keep the KA and turbo it or build it up. If not they are still pretty peppy. Stock 155hp and with a few suspension upgrades you could have hella handling and even get a little sideways from time to time if the need arises.

I was really looking into a 240, but finding one that is not an auto that is closer than 200miles away is quite hard. MR2s people are selling like they are going out of style. this would be a summer only car as these damn MN winters should be in nothing other than an SUV or pickup if you ask me. something that will be fine with a little rust. now I do however have a question, about the 1st gen MR2s they came supered, or non right? so is there enough room for a turbo?....and the celicas how about them same amount of room? or none? or tons? Also, what do you guys think about those old box style fastback supra's they arn't all that fast but I believe a turboed supra was around 232hp. that was something around 90 I believe...but don't quote me. any any other options you guys can think of? what about mazda? I drove an MX6 back a few years ago, and I believed that was quite the fun little car, and if I remember right it had fwd lsd....dunno about that either?

Originally posted by silver@Aug 17 2003, 10:30 PM
91-92 MR2 had a problem of the rear end sliding out very easily, 93+ they fixed it and added the new generation 3S-GTE

some people wouldnt mind being prone to oversteer

Its a mid-engine car. If you can't drive it, you shouldn't attempt to.

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Aug 17 2003, 10:26 PM
If you're thinking MR2, better think of 93+ because the older ones handle like shit because of a problem.. i forgot what, but besides that their pretty bad ass..

Wrong. I had an mr2. If you dont know what the fuck you are doing driving a mid-engined car. the later mk2 mr2s will be a better choice for you. BUT, the earlier mk2 mr2s will reward a good driver. I forget exactly what the change was, but it was something in the rear suspension.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 18 2003, 07:27 PM
MR2= tail happy bordering on squirrly handling, no trunk space, no passenger space, no winter or wet driving (don't believe me? Go drive one.), too much weight aft for the tire size. Awesome engine.

Celica AllTrac= trunk space, passenger space, all weather performance (meaning, you don't have to put it away for the winter), more stable at higher speeds, 50/50 weight bias, same engine as the MR2.

Ji is right on this one. I owned an mr2 NA, and have driven 3 different models. One SC and a turbo. I have also driven ji's alltrack, and hands down I would take it over any mr2. I wouldnt even have to think about it. I never drove my mr2 in the winter. I owned it in the winter, just never drove it. Reason why?? The thing was the worst car ever to drive in the rain. I wouldnt drive more than 50mph when it rained, and slowed down to stupid speeds for corners. I spun the car out 3 or 4 times before I realized just how dangerous it was in the rain. (never put it off the road though) Also, if you are going from a FWD honda or something to this, you have a lot to learn. every honda ive driven is fuck easy to drive. they are predictable cars. You know exactly what they are gonna do at every moment. it is almost boaring. try taking an mr2 through a corner, close to the limit and shift, or let off the throttle, or tap the brakes. any shift in the weight balance will totally fuck up your day.

If i were you, i would check into a 944 turbo. Insurance isnt THAT bad, and you can scoop one for about that price if you are lucky. they top out at around 165mph, are full loaded and run I BELIEVE, but dont quote me on this, a low 14.

http://vista.pca.org/stl/944turbo.htm

page has some good info on it. check out the performance numbers :)

for right around 7grand you have a car that chicks think is hot as fuck, you will get compliments everywhere, turn low 14, possibly mid 13 1/4 miles. get almost 20mpg. did i mention drifting??

oh yah, and when people ask you what kind of car you have, you get to tell them Porsche Turbo B)

mister two is long gone man. Sorry. And since the whole import craze, the prices on those things just keeps going higher and higher. Good luck finding one though!

Originally posted by tedwright+Aug 18 2003, 08:23 PM-->
Loco Honkey
@Aug 18 2003, 07:27 PM
MR2= tail happy bordering on squirrly handling, no trunk space, no passenger space, no winter or wet driving (don't believe me? Go drive one.), too much weight aft for the tire size. Awesome engine.

Celica AllTrac= trunk space, passenger space, all weather performance (meaning, you don't have to put it away for the winter), more stable at higher speeds, 50/50 weight bias, same engine as the MR2.

Ji is right on this one. I owned an mr2 NA, and have driven 3 different models. One SC and a turbo. I have also driven ji's alltrack, and hands down I would take it over any mr2. I wouldnt even have to think about it. I never drove my mr2 in the winter. I owned it in the winter, just never drove it. Reason why?? The thing was the worst car ever to drive in the rain. I wouldnt drive more than 50mph when it rained, and slowed down to stupid speeds for corners. I spun the car out 3 or 4 times before I realized just how dangerous it was in the rain. (never put it off the road though) Also, if you are going from a FWD honda or something to this, you have a lot to learn. every honda ive driven is fuck easy to drive. they are predictable cars. You know exactly what they are gonna do at every moment. it is almost boaring. try taking an mr2 through a corner, close to the limit and shift, or let off the throttle, or tap the brakes. any shift in the weight balance will totally fuck up your day.

If i were you, i would check into a 944 turbo. Insurance isnt THAT bad, and you can scoop one for about that price if you are lucky. they top out at around 165mph, are full loaded and run I BELIEVE, but dont quote me on this, a low 14.

my bro has a 85 94X and yeah it handles like a biznatch, isn't really fast at all, but hey he got it for 2k w/ only 100k on it in mint condition and for another 5k or so it will be damn fast the local euro shop was saying. ITs the wide body style, and it is pretty nice for the price and the insurance for my 18 year old bro is only like 110.

It's the gutless n/a model though.

I say go with something that handles good and has some what decent aftermarket background that isn't played out extremely bad yet.

friend on the soccer team has a 91 shiny white MR2, im hoping he'll sell it to me when he goes to college

the nas arent THAT gutless. and they handle like they are on fucking rails. 2k is hella cheap. ask him if he wants to sell it;) and all of the 944s had the wide body flared out look.

and whats funny about it is, he is driving around a car he paid 2k for, but im sure he gets compliments on it all the time. most people just dont know those cars that well. They hear or see porsche and the first thing that they associate it with is $$.

I was never a fan of the "poor mans porsche", a buddy of mine actualy has a 928 for sale really cheap, it was repanted by spray can. :lol: I am really leaning tords an MR2, even the older ones, I think, are sexy as hell. and I've been wanting a mid motor, rwd car for a while. I've drove a '79 911sc and that car was a lot of fun. if you wanted it to go sideways, it was more than willing to do it. hoping that an MR2 would do the same, and I was looking on nopi, and there is a really nice body kit for around $500 that doesn't change the lines of the stock fourm too bad, and I want to keep the outside of the car stock as much as I can, the only way I will ever do a body kit again is if I do a crapy job of fixing rust on the botom of the car. or it needs a new front/back bumper skin. and the nice thing about them MR2s is that there are more than a few around the area, and when winter hits, I am willing to bet that there will be even more.

are there any fourms for toyotas? or even better one for MR2s? :blink:

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Aug 19 2003, 08:51 PM
those cars are ghetto, and if you ever need new parts for it your fucked.

We're talking about a lot of cars here. Which one is ghetto?

I think hes talking about an MR2...but i dunno why parts would be hard to find/get....a old porsche I guess would be hard to get parts for...I dunno?

In 1989 the 944 turbos BASE price was $47,600. that was 14 years ago, and the base price. even TODAY that is alot of money to spend on a car. I'd like to see a poor man afford that.

Back