Best chemicals for degreasing engine block?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

Hey guys, I'm trying to clean up my engines, and have gotten most of the grease off, but it's still kinda brownish of 10yrs or w/e of being caked in grease. What are some chemicals people have been useing to clean there engines up?

Heres an example of what I want my block to look like.(eghonda should be proud I'm useing IT as an example...:p)

wNDAzNDYxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

Heres what I've got so far:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Well?
I used degreaser and a pressure washer to get it to that point. Now it's time to rub on some elbow grease, but wanna know what's worked best for everyone.

Thanks
-Andrew

Last edited:
Havok said:
Judging by his pictures, I would say use the shit that's sitting by the engine. :)

Well, I'm 'his', and thanks.....

heh. just to clear it up for those who can't read well...

The red-top is NOT mine.
The A6 IS mine.
I want mine to look like the red-top.

:)

BDN posted a link a while back to show little tips for things of this nature and other things. Anyway, it says the Eazy-Off Oven Cleaner works REALLY well for taking of shit that is caked on. Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

Try Simple Green.

btw, his block looked like it was hot tanked and/or painted.

How so?
I've only read good things about 'em

I used Armor All wheel cleaner once, just joking around, and it's the best degreaser i've ever used.
$4 for a small gray bottle though, i didn't even scrub it and all the shit came off, so if you plan to scrub it, it will probably look really good.

I don't suggest it for paint, but i put some on my paint to get some marks off and it worked great for that too.

I dont know... I used this orange shit from wal-mart yesterday (I will have to double check the brand, in the automotive cleaning supplies section). Any way it was just an orange spray bottle and doesn't smell bad either :D Just be carefull about your dizzy and wires cause I even wrapped my dizzy and other electrical stuff and still got water or something in my spark plug holes or some where. Any how the stuff just sprayed on (sat about 5 minutes) and then washed off (was at the car wash) and everything came out looking new.

i use that engine degreaser that comes in the purple spray bottle. it works really well. pretty cheap to. just spray on, let soak, then pressure wash it.

Back