Best DOHC Motor for 94 coupe 5spd

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94CivicSlow

I read through all of the articles on this site, and still have a few questions..

I just bought a 94 civic dx coupe 5spd and want to buy a DOHC motor this winter and keep it OBD1. I mechanical skills, and have done motors, 5spd swaps etc on other cars (non hondas).

My question is... I have been looking to b16a2 and b18 motors. I know I will also need the hydraulic tranny for the B series. Are there any sites that sell or list all of the parts I will need, and has any ever made a "how to"... I want this swap to go as smoothly as possible and want to put in the motor that will fit into my chassis with least complications.

Also, when you guys swap motors do you also swap wiring harnesses too? Obviously the ecu will need to be swapped, but will I also need the wiring harness/engine harness... thanks

;)

If you want to swap a OBD 1 motor, than the easiest engine to put in your coupe would be the JDM B16A. The B16A2 you're talking about is a OBD2 motor.
Just so you dont get confused, the JDM B16A is still a "second generation" B16 in that it's a hydro tranny, but has a higher 10.4.1 compression over the OBD0 B16's, and more aggressive cam profiles. The JDM B16A SiRII is the higest output B16A of the bunch, and also the easiest to install.
Here is some more info on the diffrent B16A variants...
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29823

A safe, cheap VTEC fix for your car would be:
JDM B16A Swap (axels and all the other crap)
B16 Hydro tranny (w/LSD if you can)
P30 ECU (P28s are cool and all, but a P30 will make the engine run as it was intended....If you want a higher rev limit or a diffrent fuel map then you can upgrade later with Hondata).

My Dx Hatch with the B16A SiRII with only a Magnaflow 2.25" exhaust w/no cat and a AEM short-ram intake for a 200SiR puts down 160hp to the wheels. Fun as fuck and I didn't break the bank by buying a GSR or Type R.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions.....

Enjoy.

Originally posted by adnoh@Nov 10 2004, 10:33 AM
If you want to swap a OBD 1 motor, than the easiest engine to put in your coupe would be the JDM B16A.  The B16A2 you're talking about is a OBD2 motor.
Just so you dont get confused, the JDM B16A is still a "second generation" B16 in that it's a hydro tranny, but has a higher 10.4.1 compression over the OBD0 B16's, and more aggressive cam profiles.  The JDM B16A SiRII is the higest output B16A of the bunch, and also the easiest to install.
Here is some more info on the diffrent B16A variants...
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29823

A safe, cheap VTEC fix for your car would be:
JDM B16A Swap (axels and all the other crap)
B16 Hydro tranny (w/LSD if you can)
P30 ECU (P28s are cool and all, but a P30 will make the engine run as it was intended....If you want a higher rev limit or a diffrent fuel map then you can upgrade later with Hondata).

My Dx Hatch with the B16A SiRII with only a Magnaflow 2.25" exhaust w/no cat and a AEM short-ram intake for a 200SiR puts down 160hp to the wheels.  Fun as fuck and I didn't break the bank by buying a GSR or Type R.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions.....

Enjoy.
[post=414677]Quoted post[/post]​

I appreciate any help you guys can offer.. So a good choice for me to use will be the SIR II Motor and Hydraulic B Series Transmisison. I will need axles, mounts, etc will I need to swap the engine harness or can I use my SOHC non vtec harness? Also, I have a POS Cluster with no tach and because its a base model... it is possible to swap another cluster in there withouth extensive wiring?

Are the B18's from an LS for example worth considering also?

Thanks

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 10 2004, 11:08 AM
an Si cluster shoud plug in no problem.
[post=414684]Quoted post[/post]​

as far as I know you can use your existing OBD1 harness, but you'll have to add a wire for the knock sensor and one for VTEC.

Originally posted by civicious+Nov 10 2004, 11:50 AM-->
Originally posted by 94CivicSlow@Nov 10 2004, 10:13 AM
civicious
@Nov 10 2004, 11:08 AM
an Si cluster shoud plug in no problem.
[post=414684]Quoted post[/post]​

[post=414686]Quoted post[/post]​

An LS cluster won't plug right in, if thats what you're asking
[post=414700]Quoted post[/post]​

No I was asking about considering purchasing the motor... LS drivetrain

As far as engine harnesses are concerned, all of the sensors share the same connectors? I understand I will have to modify the VTEC harness and run those wires to the ecu.

But Will say... an EX Cluster fit a DX.. obviously it will physically but will it connect and work properly? I have no tach and wish to add an oem tach without all the headache of wiring

the sir 2 is a good choice. the ls will be slower out of the box.

and if you can, spend the extra $300 on the LSD tranny on the sir2 :)

i always say which ever engine is dohc and u can get the best price on .. can always make it vtec! (edit=vtech)

Originally posted by b204dr@Nov 10 2004, 11:38 AM
i always say which ever engine is dohc and u can get the best price on .. can always make it vtec! (edit=vtech)
[post=414763]Quoted post[/post]​

zc?

But Will say... an EX Cluster fit a DX.. obviously it will physically but will it connect and work properly? I have no tach and wish to add an oem tach without all the headache of wiring

but will it connect and work properly?

THe answer is yes.....I did it on my 93 civic and everything worked perfectly...all the plugs are the same....and it works....THeres no need to redo any wiring. everything plugs right in....No headache.... Now I have a gsr cluster instead of the civic cluster, but to install this one you have to do some mods to it and wiring is different so.....

Goood Luuuckk!

If i would suggest any motor for a civic it would be a H22a its got a hydro tranny but you will have to modify you harness but theres some performance shops you can send it to they will modify it. but if you got a hatch then this motor will be no good because its puttin out lots of torque i have a 93 civic dx that im gonna swap an h22a into it will hit 13.5 stock so thats something to think about.

Originally posted by runningnaked@Nov 13 2004, 11:18 AM
i have a 93 civic dx that im gonna swap an h22a into it will hit 13.5 stock so thats something to think about.
[post=416349]Quoted post[/post]​

No......... it wont!

Originally posted by twisted civic+Nov 17 2004, 05:53 PM-->
runningnaked
@Nov 13 2004, 11:18 AM
i have a 93 civic dx that im gonna swap an h22a into it will hit 13.5 stock so thats something to think about.
[post=416349]Quoted post[/post]​

No......... it wont!
[post=418399]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

He's right. Low 14s at best.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 18 2004, 08:36 AM
h22's are over-rated
[post=418649]Quoted post[/post]​

:eek:
so why am i running a 13.7 with the stock manifold, a three inch high flow cat, custom 2 1/2" pipe to the v6 accord dual mufflers, msd, a short ram intake, and a vafc? in my civic 2 dr!

and why do stock mustang gt's run the same time?

see ya in the twisties.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 18 2004, 08:36 AM
h22's are over-rated
[post=418649]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

But......

It is quite common around me at our elevation for stock H22 hatchies to hit high 13's. At the track I go to, any EG hatch that pulls up to the tree with an H22 runs under 14 seconds unless they fuck up. I dunno man, guess it just depends where you are.

Back