BEST eCu FOR AN H22 SWAP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TeamUrbanChaos

Certified H22 Super-tech
i just recently picked up a JDM h22 for my accord and i was lookin around ebay and some other sites and i came past this ECU here:

***Click Here : P13 ECU FOR H22***

what do u think about the price..is that average price for an ecu chipped like this one or woudl it benifit me to just pick up a stock OBD1 p13 and chip that

also do u recommend using a p28 or even a p72?? im tryn to get the best ECU with the most horespower for the best price so please...let me kno your opinion!!
:poop: :poop:

Don't bother with those ECU's, or the "chipped" ones. The ones on Ebay are just like a chipped ECU, anyway. You're better off getting a stock P13 and then running some sort of engine management on top of that. Plus, do you really want to trust an Ebay seller that advertises "Dual Stage VTEC"?

Also, I'd be scared of a 9600 rev limit on that engine. It won't make power that high (you won't see any power after 8300 rpm or so), and it's nice having the protection of the stock rev limit. You don't want to accidentally over-rev the engine and destroy the head.

ok cool...do you kno of any places or sites that sell stock ECU's and which type of engine management do u recommend? are you refering to like a APEXi V-afc or something of that sort
:blink:

well what about this whole knock out sensor thing?? p13's have them stock and p28's dont am i correct?? so do i want an ECU with a knock out sensor or not???

p72 with a vafc to correct for fuel tuning...the p72 has the knock sensor and runs alot leaner fuel curve than the p13 which in turn makes more power....but without the vafc you will experience a bog when vtec engages bacause of a lack of fuel. and thus use the vafc to correct this. and now u also have a ecu with a 8000 rpm redline and or 8300 rpm fuel cut which is as high as youd want to run the h22 with a stock topend anyhow. This is the exact setup i have in my car with a few other select bolt ons and it pulls very well. much much better than on a stock p13.

If you get a "PROPERLY" programmed (chipped) P28, then you should not have any problems.

I have used a P28 more than once for a H-deuce/deuce and the results are amazing. Power all the way through VTEC to redline.

Yes, 9600 redline is VERY SCARRY on a H22, I would say 8200 at the MOST!!!

I won't give my secrets away, but VTEC needs to be set JUST right in order to achieve max power.

As far as the knock sensor, it's pretty much useless. It is an "Actionary" type, not a "REactionary" type. Meaning it retards the timing AFTER the pinging has occured. Thus, the damage has already been done, so what's the use?

If your P28 is programmed properly, then detonation should not be a problem.

ok so basically i should be looking for a p28 ecu which you say does not have a knock sensor correct?? also as i first stated in the beginning of the forum i been lookin on ebay at these "chipped"ecu that their selling for about $200 a pop. am i better off going with a stock P28 and buying a chip and having it souldered in, or is it pretty much the same thing as buying it from them off of ebay??? :poop:

There is no reason not to just buy a stock JDM P13- It's a stock H22a, why not run it with the stock ECU?

but if you're going to run it with a P28, you'll need to buy a stock P28- Don't buy anything that is generically chipped or even chipped to run an H22 from ebay- That's generally bad news-

After you purchase the ecu, look for a basemap from a reputable source made for running an H22a- Proceed to burn said maps on a chip and then solder that chip into your ecu

and no the P28 doesn't look for a knock sensor

Get a P28 and tune it with uberdata. I have no idea if your going turbo (doesn't really matter either way), but my buddy's girlfriend made 346whp @ 10 psi on her built h22, using a P28 street tuned with uberdata of course.

what is uberdata?? ive never heard of them ...and how do i go abouts in tuning this p28 ecu with them?? also it wouldnt bennifit to me to get a stock p28 because it wont work correctly right?? :blink:

uberdata is a free rom editing software

go to pgmfi.org and start reading

I'm not 100% sure but i bet someone has a basemap for running an H22a with a P28

you take the map, burn it onto a chip, solder the chip into your ECU

like i said before

Originally posted by radnulb+Oct 7 2004, 05:22 PM-->
rebuild em - 15 min with a soldering iron = good as new.
[post=399670]Quoted post[/post]​

Slammed90Lude
@Oct 8 2004, 12:33 AM
uberdata is a free rom editing software

go to pgmfi.org and start reading

I'm not 100% sure but i bet someone has a basemap for running an H22a with a P28

you take the map, burn it onto a chip, solder the chip into your ECU

like i said before
[post=399910]Quoted post[/post]​

ok i went to that site and i was totally confused as to what i was looking for?? i downloaded something called a UBERDATA 1.7 BETA and it looks like a bunch of codes and shit...i dont kno if this is what you were refering to hopefully it is because that site is WAY too confusing to find your way around!!! so if this is the program how do i go abouts in burning this onto a chip that i can use??

Buy a P13 and save yourself and a lot of other people the headaches. You're not going to learn this shit overnight, and you're not going to find anyone to spoon feed it to you.

:withstupid:

which is what i recommended 10 posts up......no one ever wants to do things the easy way :)

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Oct 8 2004, 12:26 PM
:withstupid:

which is what i recommended 10 posts up......no one ever wants to do things the easy way :)
[post=400088]Quoted post[/post]​

i wasnt doubting you or anything im just tryn to find the best ECU for this motor as well as trying to find the best one that will give me the most horsepower and best efficiency. my original idea was to pick up a p13 and call it a day but everybody was saying differently as u can see from the above forums and that i could achieve more horsepower by goign with somethign else but if the p13 is the easiest then :censored: it ...ill just go with that!!

You will get the most horsepower by having your car tuned after you are done setting it up.

Let the software complement the hardware.

P13 is great, and chippable, but isn't supported by aftermarket ECU tuners(Hondata, Uberdata)

Personally, I'd chip a P28. If you want to keep the knock sensor, chip a P72. They are both supported by Hondata and Uberdata.

P13 is plug and play, this is your easiest option, but your goals will determine which ECU you want.

Originally posted by tab@Oct 8 2004, 02:24 PM
You will get the most horsepower by having your car tuned after you are done setting it up.

Let the software complement the hardware.

P13 is great, and chippable, but isn't supported by aftermarket ECU tuners(Hondata, Uberdata)

Personally, I'd chip a P28.  If you want to keep the knock sensor, chip a P72.  They are both supported by Hondata and Uberdata. 

P13 is plug and play, this is your easiest option, but your goals will determine which ECU you want.
[post=400166]Quoted post[/post]​

ok but i dont have an ecu right now so ima have to get something which is wha tim trying to find out now do i get a p13 or a p28? i mean i dont plan on using boost anytime soon so im just lookin to get the best for now.. what ECU are u runnin ?? also will it make a difference if i keep the knock sensor or not ??...do i even need it?

Back