Best ECU

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redrex90

I have a 89 crx with a 94civic block and a 96 civic vtec head and i want to know what is the best ecu to get.plz lemme no what u guys think

thanks
nick

many choices, "best" depends on what is important to you.

First off, is your CRX an Si, HF or DX?

If you have a DX, be prepared for a DPFI to MPFI conversion.
If you have an HF, you'll have to yank a few wires to get rid of some odd codes but you are basically in good shape.
If you have an Si, you are in good shape, electronics wise.

There are two basic approaches to doing a mini-me when it comes to electronics:
1. Keep car OBD0 and convert motor to OBD0 (personally, I think this is easiest)
2. Keep motor OBD1/OBD2 and convert car to OBD1 (personally, I think the wiring is a nightmare here)

You are lucky because the CRX Si+HF share a common bolt pattern with the D16Y8 head for the distributor. Most simply: a OBD0 distributor will bolt up and work right without modifications if you choose to keep the car OBD0.

The main obstacle if you keep the car OBD0 and convert the motor (aside from getting an OBD0 distributor if you don't have one) is vtec. The only OBD0 ECUs that support vtec natively are the PR3 and PW0. These ECUs are relatively expensive and hard to find, as they were JDM+EDM only. They are also designed to run a B16, so they must be chipped in order to run a mini-me, z6 or Y8 effectively. An alternative is a 1wire vtec ECU, which is a PM6 converted to run vtec. Zdyne sell a 1wire, and the pgmfi crowd also has instructions for a 1wire. Alternatively, a RPM activated switch can be used in conjunction with a PM6 Si ECU to run a mini-me pretty effectively.

The main obstacle with converting the car to OBD1 is that it requires a lot of wiring. You need an OBD1 or OBD2 distributor (and the appropriate plugs), a P28 SOHC vtec ECU and a conversion harness. You can build a conversion harness, or you can buy one. The P28 was designed to run a SOHC vtec motor, so although this approach is a PITA to wire, cars generally run really well after an obd0-obd1 conversion.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by radnulb@Jan 16 2004, 01:31 PM
...and the pgmfi crowd also has instructions for a 1wire.

he doesnt even take credit for his own work. Damn you're modest.

use the 1 wire VTEC. it is kick ass. We are running a JRSC b16 EF with it right now. Mmmmmm...nothing like a $7 OBD0 VTEC ECU.

Ben

Originally posted by Ben Ogle+Jan 24 2004, 12:03 AM-->
@Jan 16 2004, 01:31 PM
...and the pgmfi crowd also has instructions for a 1wire.

he doesnt even take credit for his own work. Damn you're modest.

use the 1 wire VTEC. it is kick ass. We are running a JRSC b16 EF with it right now. Mmmmmm...nothing like a $7 OBD0 VTEC ECU.

Ben

:doh:
Damn, I'm a fuckin idiot. All this time. radnulb=blundar.

Back