1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best engine for a 92-95 civic?

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by c97x, Jun 20, 2007.

1. c97x

c97x sorry boss, its turbo

I'm going to be picking up an 92-95 civic soon, and there are so many options of what i could swap in the bay, nothing crazy like a k series cuz im not made of money but my choices are

d16z6
    zc
    b16 (1st/2nd gen)
    d15 (but i dont know anthing about this motor)

i was never into tuning these older civics so im a little sketchy on what engines are the best for them thanks

2. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

b18b, b18c or b16..

3. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

b16 is the best in your list. But for a few extra bucks you can get a GSR motor (B18c).

4. Dark93DX

Dark93DX New Member

I don't think there is a best engine, more like the best engine for your application.

For cheap DD I'd go B18B or B20B/Z.

For more expensive DD B18C

For Racing B18C R or B16B

I would stay away from the ODB1 ZC, cause i've heard its difficult to get parts for. I'd choose a D15B SOHC VTEC over the ZC, but the Z6 would prob have the cheapest and most avaliable parts if something goes wrong.

5. c97x

i forgot how hard my friend said it was to get parts for the zc, now the d16z6 isn't that what comes in the 92-95 civic si? its got some thing like 130hp, sohc,vtec?

like i said i dont know much about the older engines

6. Amack

Amack New Member

I say a B16 or a B18c. Good for daily driving and racing if you want. I don't suggest putting a sohc motor in it. One of these motor will give you a nice litte get up. You wont be satisfied if you put one of those other motors in it. I have a 94 ex coupe Accord with an H22a swapped in it and I drive it everyday. Really this is my only transportation.

7. Amack

Amack New Member

Well if someone has a stock B series motor with a nice i/h/e, they will get him. He might as well put a b16 or b18c in it and get it over with instead doing so much to that motor when he can put that in and go from there. Mod for mod he will lose.

8. ALEXBECK23

ALEXBECK23 N/A boost=Turbo boost

yeah..some people confused new guys..when they refer to mod D-series...they go like get a GRS thats the true power,,but u talking about $4kkk for the entire swap into ur bay...but for less money u can get the same hp as a stock b-series engine...and then even go turbo...which i dont like it...but dont get me wrong i love turbos is just that the tunning for winter and summer mean spending extra money....which means busted ur ass working all day long..................can i make a 200whp all motor d16z6?????:ph34r::confused

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  9. eg6sir

nice threadjack

10. c97x

well money is somewhat of an issue, i have a 97 hatch but i cant really even dick around with it because i live in ny and its obd2 that means every swap is like4k and i dont feel like spending that.

so im gettin a 92-95 i wouldnt swap in the d16z6 because if im doin a swap i may as well put something dohc in

i think im goin to go with the b18b out of an ls, cheap usdm engine and it will probably pull decent and has potential

im thinkin i get a 4door just to have the sleeper effect

11. Dark93DX

Dark93DX New Member

Good choice,

B18B and B20B swaps are good budget swaps, especially for a DD. If I were you I'd sell the ls tranny and get a GSR (or SIR if you want more acceleration) tranny w/ an LSD.

12. Amack

Amack New Member

yea the dohc will be better. you can get an ls and build you money back up and get a vtec head for it.

13. c97x

if i get the ls motor i wont even turn it ls/vtec, that would be like another 400 bucks or so,

if i wanted vtec id just go gsr from the start

eventually ill end up turboing the ls motor to get the power i want

14. eg6sir

make sure you get a b16 or GSR tranny for it.. the gearing on the LS blows

15. Dark93DX

Dark93DX New Member

A properly built ls/vtec will cost alot more then $400, I agree, go turbo later on when you want more power and you'll end up faster then a gsr or ls/vtec swap anyway. make sure your tranny's got an lsd.

16. Somnambulist

Somnambulist New Member

It depends on your budget. Do you have one?

I would suggest a Bseries. That's just me. B16 would be fun but if you have the cash get the GSR. Or if you have a little more mechanical know-how try an LS/VTEC.

17. riceburner89

riceburner89 Banned

b16a , u gatta get the 2 gen tho. hydrolic tranny. thats ur best option on that list.

18. vtecsir1

vtecsir1 Senior Member

ls/vtec is not cheap even if you go with a budget build like mine. the great thing about getting a d series vtec motor is they are so damn cheap and abundant its ridiculous. homeade turbo on a d series would be a lot of fun and still cost about the same as the b18b swap. im not saying i would rather have that than my ls/vtec though by any stretch.

19. c97x

what im goin to do is the b18 (ls version)with a gsr tranny that should fit my budget for the time...

20. eg6sir

nice choice...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted