best engine for a 94 del sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I think im going to go w/ a b18 gsr also known as a b18c1. I wanna stay vtec w/ my del sol. Is there any suggestions on a specific site or place i should check out first w/ some good deals that might be out there.

Just get the itr swap, god knows your going to need it with all these built ls-vtec's running around today... ;x

since you already have the turbo kit, and a b16 will drop right in (the si's came with them stock), spend 1500-1800 on the swap, buy a b series manifold, and slap the boost kit on that. itll make WAAAY more power than any swap, and be far cheaper and easier

That is incorrect!

The Honda Del Sol S is a D15 (1.5L SOHC)
The Honda Del Sol Si is a D16 (1.6L SOHC)
The Honda Del Sol VTEC is the B16A3. The VTEC model was put out 94-97

If you're looking to do an engine swap on your car. you really need to do your research! use google and search functions on this forum and any forum you find for Del Sol's.

The easiest swap for a del sol is going to be a B16A (since it came factory) or a B18C1 (the GSR).

Considering your weak knowledge on cars in general. This will be a tough task for you. READ READ READ!!!! RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!

K-Series is a great engine, but very costly!
H-Series is HP and TQ but are heavier and greatly affect your weight distribution and are known for having shitty transmissions.

If you want to turbo, find a B16A or B18C1. This will bring you to 160-180 HP stock.

If you want more TQ you might consider frankenteining your engine. This is a challenge cuz you're taking a B20 non-vtec block and mating it with a B16 or B18 VTEC head. It can be done and is probably your best bang for your buck... if you know what you're doing. This engine can go both ways, either N/A or FI depending on how you set it up and tune it.

Any engine is worthless without a tune if you're gonna hook it up.

Before you take anyone's word for it on this forum or any forum, do your self some research first. Find out for yourself! It's really the best way and to make sure you're not getting a line of shit from peeps.

my 2 cents! :)

H-Series is HP and TQ but are heavier and greatly affect your weight distribution and are known for having shitty transmissions.

If you want to turbo, find a B16A or B18C1. This will bring you to 160-180 HP stock.

You tell him to research, yet how much research have you actually done?

Yes, the H22 is heavier than a D or B-series engine, but not that much heavier. It's nothing that some stiffer springs won't fix. And having some additional weight over the front wheels isn't such a bad thing for a FWD vehicle. Also, who says the H-series have shitty transmissions? Shitty in what way?

And how are you figuring that a turbo will only bring a B-series engine up to 160-180 horses? You sound like you're just quoting numbers from an off-the-shelf turbo kit advertisement. 200+ wheel horse is certainly possible on a B16 or B18 with a good tune...

You tell him to research, yet how much research have you actually done?

Yes, the H22 is heavier than a D or B-series engine, but not that much heavier. It's nothing that some stiffer springs won't fix. And having some additional weight over the front wheels isn't such a bad thing for a FWD vehicle. Also, who says the H-series have shitty transmissions? Shitty in what way?

And how are you figuring that a turbo will only bring a B-series engine up to 160-180 horses? You sound like you're just quoting numbers from an off-the-shelf turbo kit advertisement. 200+ wheel horse is certainly possible on a B16 or B18 with a good tune...

i may have worded that wrong... what i meant was a b16 or b18 were good candidates for turbo. a b16 is 160hp stock!! and b18 is 180hp stock.

notice on what you quoted me i said stock at the end. turbo on your car isn't stock.

don't pick a fight.

I am simply stating my opinion from research i've done. if you disagree then, show me some proof to back your theory. otherwise we'll just go back and forth and that's gets people that seek help no where.
-------------------------------------------
I'm curious why you think more weight on the front of your car is better? that just gives the car more understeer which the del sol already has a bit of understeer to begin with.

An H swap in my opinion wouldn't be worth the hassle, when you can drop a B-series into without any problems, weight issues and achieve your goal.

I'm just gonna make an appearance and walk right out of this thread.

Lot's of misinformation other then what's coming from the senior members.

I don't want to knock the original poster, but like you said, you're just a kid and you NEED to read up a little more. All you keep saying is b18, k, b18, boost, b18, boost, b18, k, boost, unlimited funds, b18, b18c5, boost, b18, b18, unlimited funds, b18, boost.

shakeybones, step off, you're not sure what you're talking about, please don't post opinions that are wrong.

i may have worded that wrong... what i meant was a b16 or b18 were good candidates for turbo. a b16 is 160hp stock!! and b18 is 180hp stock.

notice on what you quoted me i said stock at the end. turbo on your car isn't stock.

You're right, I did miss the part where you said stock, so my apologies. Still though, it doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about. Unless you're thinking of some obscure JDM version, the B18C only puts out 170 horses stock.

I am simply stating my opinion from research i've done. if you disagree then, show me some proof to back your theory. otherwise we'll just go back and forth and that's gets people that seek help no where.
-------------------------------------------
I'm curious why you think more weight on the front of your car is better? that just gives the car more understeer which the del sol already has a bit of understeer to begin with.

Most FWD cars have some degree of understeer. Like I said (and like Blanco said), it's nothing that can't be fixed with some stiffer springs and upgraded sway bars. As for why having that extra weight over the front wheels is better, see Blanco's response. It's the same reason people put sandbags in their truck beds during the winter; more weight over the drive wheels = better traction.

An H swap in my opinion wouldn't be worth the hassle, when you can drop a B-series into without any problems, weight issues and achieve your goal.

I'm not really trying to advocate one or the other, I'm just correcting the misinformation you're putting out. Like Blanco said, the H22 swap really isn't that much heavier than a B-series swap. It does add some additional weight, but so does any engine swap outside of another D-series.

You keep telling me to prove what I'm saying but you yourself seem to be just stating opinions with no documented proof...

It's a little over 100lbs. of difference, which is .1 second difference in the 1/4 mile. Put a larger rear sway on and the undeersteer issue solved. What you've stated has been proven to be internet myth. :)

Oh, and more weight over the front tires equals a greater traction potential. Just like how hot rod guys put weights in their trunks. Or why BMW recommends putting 150lbs. of ballast in the trunk to improve winter grip.

:werd:

its prob the d16z6, really if you wanna get good power go for a ls vtec and get it turboed and make it JDM

What the hell are you talking about? "Make it JDM!" What the hell does that even mean? If you don't know what you're talking about then don't post please.

shakeybones, step off, you're not sure what you're talking about, please don't post opinions that are wrong.

:werd:

You're right, I did miss the part where you said stock, so my apologies. Still though, it doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about. Unless you're thinking of some obscure JDM version, the B18C only puts out 170 horses stock.

The B18C1 puts out 178HP stock. every company i have found selling engines or complete swaps shows specs of that engine putting out that much HP. Seeing several different companies selling this engine with the same specs leads me to believe this is mostlikely true.
JDM B18C GSR 92-95 JDM RACING MOTORS - JDM Engines, Transmissions and Accessories.

Most FWD cars have some degree of understeer. Like I said (and like Blanco said), it's nothing that can't be fixed with some stiffer springs and upgraded sway bars. As for why having that extra weight over the front wheels is better, see Blanco's response. It's the same reason people put sandbags in their truck beds during the winter; more weight over the drive wheels = better traction.

I never disagreed on this fact.

I'm not really trying to advocate one or the other, I'm just correcting the misinformation you're putting out. Like Blanco said, the H22 swap really isn't that much heavier than a B-series swap. It does add some additional weight, but so does any engine swap outside of another D-series.

agreed, however the Del Sol came stock with a B-series engine not an H-series. why go thru additional upgrades putting an H22 in your del sol when you're just gonna boost it anyways. you can be just as happy with a B-series.

research i have done has mainly been on engine rebuilding, turbo's and B-series engines. i haven't researched D-series, well cuz i'm not really interested in SOHC. nor have i researched H-series engines either. I'm far from saying I've done all the research and studying i can do, but the more i dive into swaps into a del sol, i repeatedly see negative things about an H in a del sol.

what exactly is wrong with my opinion? Below is my original post. please explain to me how my opinion is wrong? I'm not saying i know everything, my opinion is based of
my research, not asking people questions via forums. if you wanna teach me something, i'm all for it. so please tell me what is wrong with my "opinion"
That is incorrect!

If you're looking to do an engine swap on your car. you really need to do your research! use google and search functions on this forum and any forum you find for Del Sol's.

The easiest swap for a del sol is going to be a B16A (since it came factory) or a B18C1 (the GSR).

Considering your weak knowledge on cars in general. This will be a tough task for you. READ READ READ!!!! RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!

If you want more TQ you might consider frankenteining your engine. This is a challenge cuz you're taking a B20 non-vtec block and mating it with a B16 or B18 VTEC head. It can be done and is probably your best bang for your buck... if you know what you're doing. This engine can go both ways, either N/A or FI depending on how you set it up and tune it.

Before you take anyone's word for it on this forum or any forum, do your self some research first. Find out for yourself! It's really the best way and to make sure you're not getting a line of shit from peeps.

Last edited:
The B18C1 puts out 178HP stock. every company i have found selling engines or complete swaps shows specs of that engine putting out that much HP. Seeing several different companies selling this engine with the same specs leads me to believe this is mostlikely true.
JDM B18C GSR 92-95 JDM RACING MOTORS - JDM Engines, Transmissions and Accessories.

No, it doesn't. The JDM version of the GS-R (The SiR-G) has a B18C that puts out 180 horsepower. The B18C1, which is what we have here in the states, makes 170 horsepower. The one you linked to is not a B18C1, it's just a B18C, and it's clearly labeled as a JDM motor. This may seem nit-picky, but JDM engines don't have that fifth digit in their ID codes. Point me to a website that actually claims the B18C1 has 180 horsepower and then I'll be inclined to change my mind.

I never disagreed on this fact.

You asked why having that extra weight in the front is beneficial. Both me and Blanco explained it. It helps with traction.

And just FYI, the weight of a B-series swap will effect handling in a Del Sol as well. The B16-equipped Del Sol has stiffer springs in the front to negate that. If you're contemplating an engine swap into a Honda, then upgraded suspension should be on your list of things to do anyway. I don't see why the H-series isn't a viable swap.

agreed, however the Del Sol came stock with a B-series engine not an H-series. why go thru additional upgrades putting an H22 in your del sol when you're just gonna boost it anyways. you can be just as happy with a B-series.

research i have done has mainly been on engine rebuilding, turbo's and B-series engines. i haven't researched D-series, well cuz i'm not really interested in SOHC. nor have i researched H-series engines either. I'm far from saying I've done all the research and studying i can do, but the more i dive into swaps into a del sol, i repeatedly see negative things about an H in a del sol.

Like I said, I'm not advocating one engine over the other, I'm just correcting the misinformation you've posted so the original poster can get the info he needs to make a decision.

You freely admit that you've haven't researched anything but the B-series, so how does that qualify you to speak on the advantages/disadvantages of the H-series? You brought up the weight issue, which isn't really that much of an issue (your research source there must have been bad), and you brought up the "shitty transmission" issue which you still haven't explained further or cited any sources.

I'm just saying speak on what you know to be true, don't just throw stuff up here that you've heard from ricers or people on message boards as fact...

Just in case anyone is wondering, the disadvantages of the H-series into a Del Sol (or any Civic really) is that it's a tight squeeze into the engine bay (retaining accessories like power steering and air conditioning are somewhat tricky but possible), it does weigh more than a B-series swap (although, like I've stated numerous times, it's nothing that stiffer springs and sway bars won't fix), and fabrication is required to mount an H-series transmission (an alternative is to purchase an adapter plate and use a B or D-series gearbox, although this can be expensive)...

if it were me and i had the money i would just gsr swap it and save the turbo waste gate and bov, then get a new waste gate dump tube (manifold) for the gsr and turbo the gsr. then you could get new cams and cam gears and bs like that to bring your boost up. easiest thing possible i think (well besides a b16 swap cuz the mounts are in practically every car lot/junkyard, and they cost nothing cuz you can get then as a factory replacement)

if it were me and i had the money i would just gsr swap it and save the turbo waste gate and bov, then get a new waste gate dump tube (manifold) for the gsr and turbo the gsr. then you could get new cams and cam gears and bs like that to bring your boost up. easiest thing possible i think (well besides a b16 swap cuz the mounts are in practically every car lot/junkyard, and they cost nothing cuz you can get then as a factory replacement)

A manifold and waste gate are not the same thing, and cams and cam gears don't have anything to do with increasing boost. Please don't post on turbo-related subjects if you know nothing about them...

That is incorrect!

good god. all i said was that the b16 swap is the best bet. easy swap, boost it, done. which trim level came with which motor is irrelevant! are you familiar with hondas at all?:confused: you want to talk about researching? take your own advice, you fucking clown. whats wrong w/ an h swap's "weight distribution" or the h series trans? what the fuck are you talking about? and then you go on to talk about "tuning" after "turbo b16 or b18 brings you up to 160hp". youre worthless.

exhaust manifold (i know wat a waste gate is) and cams do add power i wasnt necessarily saying that for more boost.

Well what you wrote was confusing, read it again...

then you could get new cams and cam gears and bs like that to bring your boost up.

It sounds like you're saying that cams and cam gears increase the amount of boost your turbo setup will push. Cam gears themselves don't do anything, they require tuning to make power. And yes, cams will increase power, but if you don't use ones that are specific to forced-induction then you might actually lose power...

i didnt mean it like that and im sorry if it did but i ment cams to bring up power gears so you can tune it (or in his case get it tuned) and bs as in turbo timer vtec controler ex.
cuz thats what im probly going to end up doing. (b16 not b18)
but i promised my brother springs first cuz my car looks like a monster trunk with the wheel gap.

Back