1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best exhaust for H22A in a civic

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by tip, Jul 23, 2005.

1. tip

tip Senior Member

I am changing setup to a h22a ing my 92 4dr civic and want to know the best exhaust to put on with this set up. I recently asked this same question but for the SIR 2 . I will be looking for a deep sounding exhaust and no prefence as far as price goes. NOT rich just want to know the best for this setup.

oh yeah i was looking into the apex ws 2 but they don't list it for the 4dr....? does anybody else list for the 4dr or any good ideas...?

2. driver1

driver1 Senior Member

rsr ex-mag

3. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

4. drpenguin

drpenguin Senior Member

2.25'' Straight pipe, no cat, comming out infront of the passenger rear tire? Muffler optional?

5. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

No way. 3 inch mandrel bent all the way back with a loooooooong resonator in the center section, then a good quality straight through muffler. If you're not going to mod the engine, stay with a 2.5 inch or 2.75 inch if you want. If you're going to do anything like cams or higher compression pistons, a 3 inch exhaust never hurts.

6. tip

tip Senior Member

ok thanks for all info i will go with the 2.75 because i am going to do a little building up but not a all out drag car....

7. phunky.buddha

2.75 is kind of a funny size... but you can usually buy most aftermarket systems in a 65-70mm pipe diameter, so you might want to look at something like that.

8. tip

tip Senior Member

ok will do that. i cousin owns his own exhause shop so is there a custom seld it together yourself kit..? because his bender does not bent it like i need it.

9. phunky.buddha

10. tip

tip Senior Member

thanks for the info

11. jimboburgess

jimboburgess Go fast, Go Cheap

why 3" exhaust? it is only a 2.2 liter engine. that means with every puff from a cylinder .55 of a liter needs to flow through the pipe. soda bottles are two liters.

And sticking it out front of the rear tire would result in only one bend it the pipe. maybe two. depending if you angle cut the end of the pipe. Even if you have major plans with the engine, the size of the stock pipe(for the engine you're using) is usually the best. Stepping it up doesn't always hurt it, but honda had many people thinking about the right size exhaust, especially in the sportier models (like those in japan that our engines come from). putting better flowing exhaust components is what makes the difference; muffler, cat, removing the resonator, mandrel bends.

12. phunky.buddha

3 inch because with tuning, even a mildly modded GSR will still make more power. On a 2.2L, there's still a good amount of difference. Hell, all the 240sx guys run 3 inch exhaust all motor, and they're running 2.4L engines that only rev up to 6500rpm. They're getting good gains on the stock engine, and it doesn't breathe any more than the H22 does.

13. nismogod

nismogod Senior Member

isn't your exhaust only as good flowing as the most restrictive piece? in an NA setup, who sells a 3" collector header? i think ima go with the guy's 2.5" stainless app. and just remove it and run open header on "those" days.

14. phunky.buddha

Yeah, it's still only as good as your most restrictive piece- but an exhaust that's larger than the collector still helps. If it didn't, why would people bother posting gains with aftermarket exhausts on an otherwise stock car?

You can make a header with a 3 inch collector. :)

15. nismogod

nismogod Senior Member

you are right, i can make one. lol, i was curious slightly, if anyone produced them.

16. phunky.buddha

Not as a standard off the shelf header, no.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted