Best handeling setup for 95 HB?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

totalburnout

VIP
Alright, it looks like I'm about to get a '95 Si HB and just wanted to have a really nice suspension setup, it already has ground control coilovers on and a decent set of yoko tires.

I'm not a mechanic by any means and figured a sway bar would be an easy, inexpensive mod to do to the car that would make it handle better and would be fairly easy to install.

I would do front and rear sway/strut bars or what not. If it made a noticeable difference in daily driving...i dont plan to auto x this car or do anything else, its just for my enjoyment down winding roads. I'll have about $400 to spend if that. Best bang for the buck would be nice.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 23 2004, 03:42 PM
What kind of shocks does it have?

Tokico Illuminas > any other upgrade

that's if it has stock shocks.
[post=380628]Quoted post[/post]​

And how much is that going to run me?

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Aug 23 2004, 10:11 PM-->
Battle Pope
@Aug 23 2004, 03:42 PM
What kind of shocks does it have?

Tokico Illuminas > any other upgrade

that's if it has stock shocks.
[post=380628]Quoted post[/post]​

And how much is that going to run me?
[post=380772]Quoted post[/post]​

any idea?

Illuminas usually go for around 350-500 for a set. Depends on where you find them and who's supplying them. Here's a set for '92-00 civics on ebay for 360 shipping included.

Tokicos

I would go for a used set of Koni reds or yellows over the Tokicos.... a used set of yellows might go for around $200 if you take the time to shop for them. I would recommend a rear sway bar... a GSR one would be fine, and you can find those cheap. Too thick, like a 22mm, and you will need to watch your corner braking. You will need to re-learn how to handle your car. It will rotate a lot differently with such a thick rear swaybar.

I just beefed up the trailing arm bushings in my teg with silcone, and it feels tighter. That was a cheap fix. I will do the same for my Si shortly. By this age, those bushings are very tired looking.

My very favorite Si mod was installing a JDM LSD tranny... I found one for $275. :)

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Aug 24 2004, 10:37 AM
I would go for a used set of Koni reds or yellows over the Tokicos.... a used set of yellows might go for around $200 if you take the time to shop for them. I would recommend a rear sway bar... a GSR one would be fine, and you can find those cheap. Too thick, like a 22mm, and you will need to watch your corner braking. You will need to re-learn how to handle your car. It will rotate a lot differently with such a thick rear swaybar.

I just beefed up the trailing arm bushings in my teg with silcone, and it feels tighter. That was a cheap fix. I will do the same for my Si shortly. By this age, those bushings are very tired looking.

My very favorite Si mod was installing a JDM LSD tranny... I found one for $275. :)
[post=380966]Quoted post[/post]​

If I had something to pull an engine with and knew how to do the work myself I might think about doing a lsd tranny...

As far as the shocks go...I would definately perfer new ones to used ones that could be beaten and torn apart. Any other suggestions that you think are better than the tokicos? How much would an install on those run me?

you don't need to pull the miotor to drop a tranny. its a lot of work, but wildbill droped it, installed a new clutch, put it back on in his 30 min lunch break at a shop :)

now, without a lift, you're WAY slower.

it will take an un expr. guy all day probably, but its not complicated.

installing suspension is the same way.... but with regualr springs, you need a spring compressor.

honestly, unless your shiocks are blown, i'd wait and do springs and shocks at the same time.

its a lot less work in the long run, and it will actually ride good :)

How much would shocks/springs run me? The car already has ground control coilovers on.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 25 2004, 11:04 PM
coilover200 bucks and used struts 200 or so and your looking at 400-500 total
[post=381933]Quoted post[/post]​

Shocks, not struts :p

Just FYI, the best bang for the buck will be a ITR rear swaybar.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 25 2004, 11:04 PM
coilover200 bucks and used struts 200 or so and your looking at 400-500 total
[post=381933]Quoted post[/post]​

It ALREADY has ground control coilovers. So just get a new pair of shocks and a ITR rear sway bar?

How much is the ITR rear sway going to run me?

Also the car has two yokos upfront and cheap honda tires on the back, is it going to make much of a difference if I get two more yokos to make a full set, or just leave the cheap honda tires? I want a smooth ride, good handeling and as much power as i can get.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 25 2004, 11:28 PM
no i meant struts honda have struts not shocks.
[post=381950]Quoted post[/post]​

01+ Civics and RSXs have struts but EGs, DCs, EKs, EFs and most everything else has SHOCKS.

Originally posted by nfn15037+Aug 30 2004, 01:24 PM-->
hcivic.com
@Aug 25 2004, 11:28 PM
no i meant struts honda have struts not shocks.
[post=381950]Quoted post[/post]​

01+ Civics and RSXs have struts but EGs, DCs, EKs, EFs and most everything else has SHOCKS.
[post=383766]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Struts and shocks are very similar in function, but very different in design. The job of both is to control excessive spring motion; however, struts are also a structural component of the suspension. Struts can take the place of two or three conventional suspension components and are often used as a pivot point for steering and to adjust the position of the wheels for alignment purposes.

shit i just went and got the same qoute
struts are also a structural component of the suspension. Struts can take the place of two or three conventional suspension components and are often used as a pivot point for steering and to adjust the position of the wheels for alignment purposes.

a shock can be removed and will not affect the the vehicle other than the ride qaulity, a strut cannot be removed or it will make the vehicle in operable.

You are obvously unclear as to how a strut works. McPherson strut cars have no upper control arm, the strut itself is bolted to the knuckle and pivots at the top of the strut tower, a far cry from what Integras and Civic use, which is a double wishbone suspension with a SHOCK. I am done arguing this, I am right, and you are wrong. I don't need to quote nameless sources, I have experience with both and know the difference. <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back