Best location for muffler?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

I was just curious as to whether it makes a difference sound and performance wise where your muffler is.

A or B?
exhaust.jpg

And what muffler would you guys recommend for me? Will be on a daily ZC with just bolt ons. There is an exhaust shop here that will(and did on my friends car) run any size exhaust piping with a 3 chamber muffler(called it a 'turbo' muffler.. ha!) where ever you want(a or :cool:, for $120.

I'm thinking of running 2 1/4" piping all the way back, and I think it might look better with the muffler where it is stock("B"), because these CRX's have such 'high' rear bumpers.. .but I'm just trying to decide on one thing... so maybe you guys can help me out.

Also, on a side note, I've also seen a few people run an "A" placed muffler with a 'stealth' type exhaust pipe routing, putting it right behind the passenger door, like so:

stealthexhaust.jpg

But my friend said that might be too much heat on that rear tire... so IDK...
What do you guys think about that?
Go out and look under your CRX or Vic and see what I mean.. you'll see immediatly how that stealth would run.. and just stops about a foot in front of the rear tire...

Well? I'd love to hear your opinions... thanks.
-Andrew

Worked for Dado in the Teckademics vids. His Yellow M3 had the exhaust running through the interior after he turbo'd it. Ask him how stealth it was on the highway with it being inside the car :laugh:

get the turbo muffler. mount it where stock muffler used to be. Or you can do what Forby did and placed it in the center of the car. close to the shift linkage i believe. Any way he's got a magnaflow resonator and turboII muffler. sounds awesome. Go pick one up for 20 bucks at the local autozone. Ohh and get the 2.5 inch for enough airflow :)

Quoted post[/post]]
get the turbo muffler. mount it where stock muffler used to be. Or you can do what Forby did and placed it in the center of the car. close to the shift linkage i believe. Any way he's got a magnaflow resonator and turboII muffler. sounds awesome. Go pick one up for 20 bucks at the local autozone. Ohh and get the 2.5 inch for enough airflow :)

airflow :blink: :blink:

I have my muffler in the A location in the center of the car.

I run a cherrybomb muffler which also costs about $25.

Makes for a loud car but not too horrible and no resonence.

Also it makes for a clean looking back end with nothing but a tail pipe hanging out back there

Quoted post[/post]]
Also it makes for a clean looking back end with nothing but a tail pipe hanging out back there

Thats what I'm wondering about.. I'm not sure if I'd like that. can you get a picture?

I think I want something like this:
DC-Sports 4-2-1 header
High Flow cat
Resonator or just straight piping V
2 1/4" piping
Magnaflow Oval C/C muffler in the stock position:)cool:

Whatcha think?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

airflow :blink: :blink:

you know ehat i mean. usually some cheapo mufflers are very restictive. My origional idea was to use the turbo11 miffler and thats it. we mocked it up and it was nice and smooth not loud at all. Then i found a universal muffler at the shop bolted it right up. a little raspy but nothing obnoxious.

Andrew, just the muffler is all you need to make it quiet and not worry about any major HP loss. check out Formby's thread and see how his looks. nice and neatly tucked away :)

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Thats what I'm wondering about.. I'm not sure if I'd like that. can you get a picture?

I think I want something like this:
DC-Sports 4-2-1 header
High Flow cat
Resonator or just straight piping V
2 1/4" piping
Magnaflow Oval C/C muffler in the stock position:)cool:

Whatcha think?

resonator and the magnaflow with 2 1/4 piping and call it a day.

Thanks Taco15.
So should I use my cat? I will anyway...

Who makes a good resonator for cheap?

Quoted post[/post]]
Thanks Taco15.
So should I use my cat? I will anyway...

Who makes a good resonator for cheap?

if you use your cat dont use your resonator...well i mean you can but im just saying for the sake of less restriction. :wink: less restriction means more HP. if you do use it i dont see the car getting any quieter anyway. I've got only one of those fat exhaust,you know the one with some baffling inside. The next thing i'm gonna get is a magnaflow resonator. :cool: . at least when i get to run again :cry:

Quoted post[/post]]
Not using your cat will give you maybe 2whp. Just buy a Magnaflow cat and yes, use it with the resonator.

Ever sit behind someone on a hot day and have to breathe their exhaust fumes? Use a cat.

:werd: :withstupid:

There are textbooks devoted to things known as acoustics, pulse tuning, and the like, where you can actually calculate the correct location for the muffler/resonator, and how low long the reso needs to be. But for the sake of simplicity, the closer to the cg of the car, the better. You don't want some 50lb mass at the back end of the car if you can place it somewhere better.

And I vote for A.

Back