Best Motor 4 '93 Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swar1

I can't decide which engine should I slap in my '93 civic. . .I need help!!! Should I go LS turbo or H22 turbo. . . but I have doubts that the civic wouldn't handle the h22, and I would end up breaking motor mounts every week or so!!!

WHAT?
breaking motor mounts?
what the hell?
lol

what are you gonna try and run 30 pounds of boost?
and you know you need mounts for the H22 swap right?
get hasport and you will NEVER break them...

and it all comes down to how much money do you have...???

H22 swap = 2500 with swap and mounts and everything
turbo kit is another 3500 roughly...

ls/vtec, i have no idea how much that costs to build...

The H22 is a bigger engine but alot more power. The LS isn't bad, cheaper then a H22 and but I would go with a B18c if you could afford it.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 9 2004, 03:01 PM
i highly doubt an LS vtec is cheaper than an H22

a b18c is nto an lsvtec, and with all the fabrication costs and time for the h22 the b18c will cost you roughly the same and you will have aot more evenly distributed wieight in ur car

have you done an H22 swap?
what fabrication costs?
the mount kit? the axles? cause thats all the fab you need...

everyones getting away from the point...what motor do u think he should get? any b series vtec would get my vote

he makes a reasonable point- an H22a swap from hmotorsonline is about 2800 including shipping I think (don't quote me on that) plus the cost for mounts (500) and the shifter and linkage which you can get from a junkyard (~75-100)- axles (~120) and a slim pusher type fan (125) you're looking at a cost of around 3620 not including a new clutch and the other shit you'll need to replace- My complete changover B18C1 swap was 3499- so you're talking 120 dollar difference?

H22 swap should not be more than 2200 or 2300 shipped TOPS, if you paid more you got raped...
you can get mounts for about 300...

and the other stuff i agree on...

and anything you replace on the H22 you would replace on the B18 as well...

so i still say H22... you get better than type R hp and torque numbers for less than the cost of a GSR

I was assuming he was talking about a B18b with vtec. He did say LS not GSR. I stated I would go with a B18c.

you are correct sir...

and if you've got the money then get the money motors, but if you;re poor get the poor mans type r = H22

A H22A swap, and a GSR are going to be roughly the same, and the H22A is going to stomp the GSR bad.

The weight distibution is a lame argument, since it's only like a 85 lb difference which can be made good with a battery relocation, and a CF hood. Mounts aren't a problem, the HAsports can be found used, but even for the new price are worth the perfect design, and durability.

Of course a B series is the best OVERALL swap, since Civics have B's in hte,m all over the world, and they slide right in, and make for a nice if not down right nasty power plant in a light ass Civic.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 9 2004, 04:36 PM
The weight distibution is a lame argument, since it's only like a 85 lb difference which can be made good with a battery relocation, and a CF hood.

the weight isnt really the issue as much as WHERE the weight is
the weight is all in front of the axles... this makes the car very nose heavy and more prone to understeer (plow) when pushed hard in corners

relocating the batery to the rear will not help this much if at all because the battery is already behind the axles
a CF hood would not help that much because, while it does remove some weight from in front of the axles, it is not that much, maybe 3-4 lbs

but once again like i have said before... this is not an issue for a car that will be mostly straight line raced
even as a daily driver it will not be an issue
if the car will be road coursed, autocrossed, of driven hard on some twisty ass roads ... then i would recomend reconsidering whether the H series is really the best choice for you

and as far as cost goes
the H22 will cost you about the same as a B18C1 by the time you get it in the car (+ or - a few hunderd depending what kind of deals you find)

As far as fabricating, you have to cut the hole in the floor under the shifter to accept the H22 tranny linkage, cuzz its WAY different than the D series and B series trannys. It uses cables instead of mechanical "bars" to shift. ;)

Moving the battery doesn't nescessarily help take the weight of the axles, it helps displace more weight to the rear, since you're adding alot up front.

now ive been thinkin the same thing (bout the weight problem) say u go for the h22 makin it nose heavy. get the right suspention as someone said earlyer and throw a 30lb or so system in the back would that help out any. yeah u still got 80 lb more up front but now u got 30lb of junk in the trunk to even it out a lil. dunno :huh: just somethin ive been thinkin bout

also which motor is better for a turbo daily application? a friend of mine is gettin an srt-4 and i need to show him that it may b a turbo but its still a neon. so i need somethin that i could blow on him any day of the week.

u still got 80 lb more up front but now u got 30lb of junk in the trunk
bahahahahaha

uhm... you will prob need a type r to complete with that neon, they are quick...
not even sure if a type r will beat it...

Back