best piston rings to get

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civic15.8

Ok i was driving my car the other day and i smelt oil burning so i stopped and popped the hood and oil was come out of my valve cover breather. i know it is cause of positive crankcase pressure for blow-by of the pistons. So this means the rings are bad right? So i need to know is there a best for rings to get for it or should factory just work fine? thanks

edit: car is in the sig

when i build my engine i'm going to use these total seal piston rings that are gapless they are always in the summit catolog in the sport compact car section if you are interested

gapless rings aren't necessary for a rebuild.
I've always used chrome moly , federal-mogu, or oem rings

thanks guys do any of you know about BECK/ARNLEY piston rings i found some for cheap but dont know much about them? also should i buy some oversized one? or standard size

Those are some of the cheapest parts you can get, stay away. The quality is reflected in the price tag, definately go OEM with these.

the best rings are the ones that your sleeve has been honed for.

97civic has a good idea. i've done the same thing on my zc. they are supposed to net a 10-15% decrease in leakdown across all cylinders, thus increasing tq and HP. no they are not necessary, i paid $127 for a gapless second ring set, its around 180 for a gapless top set, but it definitely cant hurt and ive heard nothing but praise about them.

if you are looking for a cheaper alternative, go OEM, thats as cheap as i would want to go in a motor.

Originally posted by Sobe_Death@Jan 23 2004, 03:13 PM
97civic has a good idea. i've done the same thing on my zc. they are supposed to net a 10-15% decrease in leakdown across all cylinders, thus increasing tq and HP. no they are not necessary, i paid $127 for a gapless second ring set, its around 180 for a gapless top set, but it definitely cant hurt and ive heard nothing but praise about them.

if you are looking for a cheaper alternative, go OEM, thats as cheap as i would want to go in a motor.

You don't have to gap OEM rings............Total seal you do!!!!!

not on stock bore you dont ;) , and besides, its a good thing to learn how to do, everyone who has any businees working on an engine should know how to end-gap piston rings.

Originally posted by Sobe_Death@Jan 27 2004, 07:03 PM
not on stock bore you dont ;) , and besides, its a good thing to learn how to do, everyone who has any businees working on an engine should know how to end-gap piston rings.

If you don't gap the Total Seal rings they will expand and break.

My point is, if you are not building a race engine why bother with gapless rings........while OEM ones work perfect for the application. Not to mention the time you save! One screw up and you have to reorder a whole set of rings!!!!

Back