Best PS2 RPG Game

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dveit

VIP
I'm the type of guy who really enjoys a well put together RPG game. Something that has a good story line, character development, battle system, etc. I've been looking around for a good one for the holidays and it seems this year there is not much of a selection for RPG games. Here are just a few that I am looking at, that look good:

Final Fantasy X-2 (i know kinda old)
Star Ocean: Till the end of Time
Shadow Hearts: Covenant

I know there's plenty more, doesn't necessarily have to be new (although ive beaten most of the old ones) so just help me out, please.

you're going to scoff at me for saying this, but what about Metal Gear 3

it has a great story line, character developement and obviously the battle system is all first class

i know i know, it's not really an rpg

Castlevania: Lament Of Innocence is pretty good. It's the first Castlevania game to go 3D. It's entertaining so far. I'm a huge fan of the Baldur's Gate games as well. Those each have an awesome story, and decent gameplay.

Not an RPG guy, so get Killzone.

Not trying to threadjack but what makes an RPG an RPG? Me and my friends started talkin bout this the other day.

Not really an RPG but the Splinter Cell series should be looked into.

killzone sucks. horrible controls, linear gameplay, and split screen is unplayable (maybe 10fps best)

buy an xbox and get star wars KOTOR II.

i am not an rpg fan, but this game seriously has me addicted.

I've been hearing that a lot about KOTOR...Too bad I won't buy another Xbox game until Halo 3.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Dec 15 2004, 08:26 PM
KOTOR II is teh sex.
[post=432874]Quoted post[/post]​

Waiting for PC version...

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Dec 15 2004, 06:13 PM-->
Castlevania: Lament Of Innocence is pretty good. It's the first Castlevania game to go 3D. It's entertaining so far. I'm a huge fan of the Baldur's Gate games as well. Those each have an awesome story, and decent gameplay.
[post=432749]Quoted post[/post]​
Yeah, my friends got it, its pretty badass. :thumbsup:
cycloneb18c3
@Dec 15 2004, 10:26 PM
We might have GT 4 by next christmas, so does that count?.....lol
[post=432875]Quoted post[/post]​
Hmm.... random...

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Dec 15 2004, 09:26 PM
We might have GT 4 by next christmas, so does that count?.....lol
[post=432875]Quoted post[/post]​

Just found out tonight that its been pushed back to Feb 3 again. fuckin bitches, im getting so sick of waiting for this fuckin game, it better be the baddest fucking game ever to come out, and it better not suck like GT3 did. that game was a big dissappointment.

I'm about to say Fuck Sony and DL the bitch and rip em for their 50 bucks just cause they are dicking around with the release date for like 2 years now

Have you heard of Legaia 2? It's a bit hard to find, but it's a great game.

It's called Legaia 2 because it's second in the Legaia series, but it's not a sequel, so there's no story continuity to worry about. The original Legend of Legaia for PS1 was one of the best games I've ever played. Legaia 2 is much similar, but they changed a few things that I liked. The story is interesting, albeit a bit more standard. There are some interesting gameplay elements, and it has one of the best battle systems I have ever seen in an RPG.

The battle system is extremely innovative and unique. Think of a combination of a fighting game and turn-based battle system. Instead of having your typical "attack" "magic" "item" functions, you have your items, magic, and the attack subsystem. You choose "attack", which takes you to a menu with a high strike, low strike, and left/right strikes. You have a bar that you can fill up with strikes, which increases in size with your level. You have combo moves and special moves which you learn by either putting in the right combo of strikes, or obtain via the storyline. Using certain moves (over 4 strikes) drains your AP, which you can recover by performing the low-level 3 or 4 strike moves. It's a very intuitive battle system, which I think makes this game a worthwhile experience on its own.

If you can possibly find both, Pick up both Legend of Legaia and Legaia 2. They are both extremely good games storywise, and gameplay wise. Well worth the money.

Back