best solution for JDM engine harness

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

so my D15b7 is out and sitting on the floor next to the JDM b16a. My mechanic and I are now trying to determine wether to take the harness off of my d15 and put in onto the b16 or if there is a better way to do it.

the issue is that the ECU plugs are on the drivers side and I need them on the passenger side, as well as the other plugs being reversed.

does anyone know if there is someone out there that makes extensions for thes 6 plugs so that I could leave the harnesses alone and just plug an extension in between the engine harness and my chasis harness?

this would be of great help to me

thanks
Sean

i guess what I am trying to avoid is having to go through all the work of removing the harness that came with the engine and removing the harness from my d15 and puting that onto the b16.

it would be nice if I could just find some extensions that had the matching plugs on them. unless someone knows where I could buy the plugs that join the car and the engine and I could make the extensions myself

thanks

what you do is put the harness from the D onto the B,then get any additional wires from hasport or something..but if you want some extensions for the jdm harness i got the jdm wire harness off of my b16a.its a little cut up but if you want it you can have it..

itll take about 20 mins to remove the harness. you can either trade them out and add a few wires, or lengthen/shorten 100 wires and have shit everywhere

I suppose I'll just use the harness off of my D. It just seems like there should be someone out there making a JDM harness conversion kit that would enable you to retain the JDM harness by just having some wires that run accross the back of the engine bay so that they plug into the correct places. It seems like it would be a simple thing to do if you could get a bunch of civic harness plugs.

oh well

BTW
thanks for the offer kingwilly, but I think I'll just go the normal route and reuse my engine harness. I would need both sides of the harness plugs in order to make the extensions and I don't know where I would find the chasis side plugs. I'm going to call around to some junk yards I think

thanks though

Originally posted by seanjuan@Jul 16 2003, 02:07 PM
I suppose I'll just use the harness off of my D. It just seems like there should be someone out there making a JDM harness conversion kit that would enable you to retain the JDM harness by just having some wires that run accross the back of the engine bay so that they plug into the correct places. It seems like it would be a simple thing to do if you could get a bunch of civic harness plugs.

oh well

Someone does make one....

Honda.

Go find a delSol DOHC VTEC or GSR engine harness and save yourself the trouble.

I'm not talking about a complete engine harness, that wouldn't be saving me much over reusing my D15 harness. What I'm looking for is a harness that connects jdm engine wiring to usdm chasis. jdm wiring has the ecu on the driver side of a us car so why doesn't someone start making extensions to bring the ecu wires across the engine bay over to where the ecu chasis wires are?

anyone know where I could buy the plugs myself, I'll start making a harness like this if no one else will

Always use your stock harness, and add wires as necessary.

half the wiring jobs that come through the shop are jobs where kids tried to et creative with JDM harnesses. Rarely works.

Do you know that your car has the same options as the one the B16 came out of? Do you know that your car is wired the same? The chassis wiring on JDM cars can be totally different.

Hasport.com has nice, easy conversion harnesses you can buy if you feel lazy.

Originally posted by seanjuan@Jul 17 2003, 08:35 AM
What I'm looking for is a harness that connects jdm engine wiring to usdm chasis. jdm wiring has the ecu on the driver side of a us car so why doesn't someone start making extensions to bring the ecu wires across the engine bay over to where the ecu chasis wires are?

You really want one?

Here's what you need to do....

1- Buy a JDM car and strip out the interior harness....
2- Rewire the interior harness to extend the wires from the cluster, signals, and fusebox to reach across to the proper location.
3- Then buy a OBD1 adapter that is about 6' long, and plug your ecu in the proper location.

I can make you a long OBD1 extension, but the rest of the work is up to you.

The reason no one makes one, is because there is no benefit to doing the above work, it's cheaper and less time consuming to buy a USDM harness and just plug and play.

It's pretty clear you've never done and engine swap, so when you finally get around to doing yours, you will understand why the adapter harness is not being made. They are 2 completely different vehicles.

maybe I am still being unclear in my description of what I am looking for.

On the passenger side of my car there is an ECU, the wires go through the firewall and there are three harness clips mounted on the shock tower. on the passenger side of my USDM engine there are the same three clips that plug into the other ones.
Now those three clips are also on the JDM engine except one the JDM engine is in my car the ECU clips are on the drivers side. This means that the male and female ends of the ECU clips are about 3' or so from each other.

what I would like is to find someone who has made a 3' or so harness that would go between the 3 motor ECU clips and the 3 chasis ECU clips

-blundar, I do know that the ECU wires are the same because I have checked them pretty thouroghly. I will end up just using my old harness, but I was hoping it could be even simpler that it would be to swap the harnesses over and add the extra wires.

-MotorMonster, you are right in saying that I haven't done a swap before. Other wise I would have found the clips allready and made the harness myself. My problem is that I don't have time to find the right clips before the engine goes in. However, I don't agree with you when you say I will see why the adapter harness is not made and that they are two completely different cars. The only difference I have been able to find is the whole RHD/LHD issue. Maybe it is just not common for companies to send uncut motor harnesses like the one that I got.
I'm sure you weren't trying to be condesending in your reply but it sort of came off that way.

Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear about the engine/ecu harness.

USDM car, standing at the front looking at the engine bay.

Left shock tower side:
3 or 4 Gray plugs with mulitple wires
1- 8 gauge cable to fusebox from alternator
1- 4 gauge cable to starter from battery

Right firewall side:
2 Gray plugs with mulitple wires, 2 10 gauge wires to interior fusebox are for IGN and START

JDM car, standing at the front looking at the engine bay.

Left firewall side:
2 Gray plugs with mulitple wires, 2 10 gauge wires to interior fusebox are for IGN and START

Right shock tower side:
3 or 4 Gray plugs with mulitple wires
1- 8 gauge cable to fusebox from alternator
1- 4 gauge cable to starter from battery

Inside car:

USDM car, passenger side (right side of car)
3 or 4 ecu plugs, some wires go to dash cluster, some go to engine bay, some go to interior fuse box. Ecu plugs are part of the interior dash harness as a whole.

JDM car, passenger side (left side of car)
3 or 4 ecu plugs, some wires go to dash cluster, some go to engine bay, some go to interior fuse box. Ecu plugs are part of the interior dash harness as a whole.

*****NOTE***** 3 or 4 plugs depends on OBD1/2a/2b Auto/Manual

Does this clear things up for you???

Monster,
I still don't understand why you don't get what i'm talking about?

yes, your description of the differences in wiring is exactly correct 100%

so this all means that if I put a JDM motor into a USDM car the JDM engine ecu plugs will be on the USDM drivers side instead of the passenger side. so what I was looking for was an extension wiring kit that on one end had the male ecu engine plugs and the other end had the female ecu engine plugs and could connect the jdm engine ecu plugs to the USDM chasis ecu plugs

sort of like if your speakers were wired wrong and the wires for the left speaker went to the right side of the car. I just wanted to run a new wire from the right side speaker to the left side speaker without rewiring the stereo

if you still don't understand what I'm saying then we should just agree to forget about it because I have allready taken the wiring harness from my d engine and put it onto the b engine and added the extra wires for vtec and knock so even if you do finally understand what I was saying it will be in vain because it is too late

Sean - I understand EXACTLY what you want to do....

But by the time you buy the connectors, wires, and spend the time crimping/soldering and extending, you could have bought a harness off ebay, and had the engine bay looking like it was supposed to.

The "few" wires you want to extend are actually about 50 of them.

Ok, as long as you understand what I was talking about.

my hope was to find someone who was making such a thing and buy that and save the trouble of rewiring the whole engine (which I did yesterday in about 3hrs)

I know that there are more than a "few" wires, but with a couple of plugs that still had all the pins in them it wouldn't take too long to slice and solder to two ends together

sorry this whole thing escalated from what I thought was a simple question (does something exist, or not?)

anyway
have a good one

Back