Best Transmission for Turbo Setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

schleht

Automotive Addict
Well, as the title says I am currently piecing my turbo setup together, I will be running a super .45trim turbo with a .48AR. I need to know what tramission I should be running i'm shooting for low 300hp and have been looking around in mags and on the forums and it looks like people are using a honda B16A type transmission. I current am running an Acura Integra GSR transmission and my friend with a boosted B18c hatch an he's also running a B16A transmssion. Why is this? Are the gear ratios better suited for turbo powerbands or is it more durable and equiped with an LSD..or all of the above, or none. Please give me input, I'm relatively new to spooner tuning, I've been concentrated on ford modular and srt-4 tuning and was always around boosted spooners but, I never acctually went out and tried it. This is my first attempt on a boosted hatch and any input is greatly appreciated. Unless your just talking out of your arse, then just don't post please. Thanks so much guys.^_^

Well, shorter gears are always better for acceleration, period. A lot of people will tell you to use an LS transmission because the longer gears are better for boosted applications. This is true to a degree. If you make a lot of horsepower on a FWD application, you'll probably end up with traction problems. The proper way to fix this is through traction-enhancing parts (LSD, traction bars, good suspension, good tires, etc.). A cheaper way to fix it is to use a longer-geared transmission (i.e. slow yourself down a bit to have better traction and ultimately more consistent performance). It's a compromise.

If you're willing to spend the money on a B16/Type R tranny with a nice LSD and proper traction-enhancing measures, then go for it. If not, then just stick with the GS-R tranny you already have. It should work fine for your needs.

Oh, and LSDs are always a good idea for FWD setups. If you can find a JDM tranny that's already LSD-equipped that's probably good way to go. Decent after-market LSDs are usually expensive...

Well, shorter gears are always better for acceleration, period. A lot of people will tell you to use an LS transmission because the longer gears are better for boosted applications. This is true to a degree. If you make a lot of horsepower on a FWD application, you'll probably end up with traction problems. The proper way to fix this is through traction-enhancing parts (LSD, traction bars, good suspension, good tires, etc.). A cheaper way to fix it is to use a longer-geared transmission (i.e. slow yourself down a bit to have better traction and ultimately more consistent performance). It's a compromise.

If you're willing to spend the money on a B16/Type R tranny with a nice LSD and proper traction-enhancing measures, then go for it. If not, then just stick with the GS-R tranny you already have. It should work fine for your needs.

Oh, and LSDs are always a good idea for FWD setups. If you can find a JDM tranny that's already LSD-equipped that's probably good way to go. Decent after-market LSDs are usually expensive...

TY for the quality input, anyone else?:p

I would personally re-build an LS transaxle with my personal choice of gears to achieve what I want. But if you just wanna bolt up a transaxle, if its a DD car than I would personally go with the LS.

For you I'd say stick with the GSR since you already have it, it;'s most versatile trans. I've used both a GSR and LS's.

As for which is better, the guys above me layed it out nicely.

Now, personal preference, I liked the GSR, the only reason I downgraded to the LS, was because the GSR trans I had was beat to hell and the ring gear sheared a few teeth off itself.

The shorter geared transmissions will always be faster but as previously said, it can induce traction issues.

For your set up, if your using a 4/48 t3... that turbo is too small, I'd suggest a bigger turbo if you want to hit 300 hp more efficiently... in the least, upgrade to a larger intake housing, inexpensive and not that difficult to do yourself..

I wasn't satisfied with my results with the small 42/48, as soon as I upgraded I was much happier and was kicking myself for not listening to what people were telling me right from the beginning.

For you I'd say stick with the GSR since you already have it, it;'s most versatile trans. I've used both a GSR and LS's.

As for which is better, the guys above me layed it out nicely.

Now, personal preference, I liked the GSR, the only reason I downgraded to the LS, was because the GSR trans I had was beat to hell and the ring gear sheared a few teeth off itself.

The shorter geared transmissions will always be faster but as previously said, it can induce traction issues.

For your set up, if your using a 4/48 t3... that turbo is too small, I'd suggest a bigger turbo if you want to hit 300 hp more efficiently... in the least, upgrade to a larger intake housing, inexpensive and not that difficult to do yourself..

I wasn't satisfied with my results with the small 42/48, as soon as I upgraded I was much happier and was kicking myself for not listening to what people were telling me right from the beginning.
Very, very useful man, thank you so much. What do you think about a T3/T4 .50AR with a .63 Hot side equipped with a Stage III turbine wheel? Is this a better turbine choice to better accomidate the performance I'm looking for?

Back