Best Turbo Most Power For The Money

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99civicJDMh22

i am currently putting a h22a in my 99 civic and i want to boost asap, what is the best turbo that gives the most power for the money please help.

I dont know all that much about boost, im just getting into the boost scene as well. but from what I've heard so far...For HONDA engines, since they are really effecient but also really small, most people go with a T3/T4 hybrid, the smaller T25 off of the Nissan, or the 16G off of the turboed eclipse gst. I personally have a T25. If wasnt too expensive, and its smaller and spools at lower RPMS. so im seeing more power sooner. Personally, in my opinion I LOVE THE T25~ hey - if nissan can make some monster power numbers using it - it cant be that bad of a turbo! other then that, make sure you research your internals...dont try to smack a turbo on stock internals and think your going to run 12+ lbs of boost...Thats a good way to find your engine in the junk yard! Becareful! the only advice I can give is DO RESEARCH!!! dont get slap happy and do something you'll regret!

all i know is i ran a 100 shot of spray on a single cam d16y8 and ran low 13 and it held for a year and is still running stong i know i can easly run 12 pounds with thicker head gasket and bad ass cluch it just depends on who tunes it to. i have heard of t3/ t4 and i was thinking of a big 16g but i guees like u said i will have to get some info from other sources

Yeah bro - I agree with some other replies...Other then building the block and research...Tuning is the most important part! even if you dont build the block you would be suprised what a good tuner can do when your using forced induction! You might want to check CHROME as a fuel management system...I dont know much about it - but I've heard its significantly cheaper then Hondata and can do almost the same things...you'd have to ask around though - im jsut trying to help throw some options out there for you..I mean if your looking to spend 4,000 mayybe these different ideas can help you put more money toward the things that matter. Other then chrome you cant beat Hondata...I have the Hondata S200 system with boost. Its great! Anywho - does anyone else agree or disagree? or have anything to add? im jsut trying to help!

i have know guys running 20 pounds on a stock ls with bolt ons but tunned by a bad ass honda guy out of houston texas he knows hondas and the bottom end of the h22 should be stronger than the b18. on low boost he is pushing 385 hp to thw wheels (craZy fast) i just wanna know a good set up i plan on puttin a stage 2 exedy cluch and a thiker head gasket with a block gaurd. i should be fine i just wanna know a set up that will push more power than a t3 t4 or 16g or t25 i want close to 400hp tuned right and those wont get me close

i have know guys running 20 pounds on a stock ls with bolt ons but tunned by a bad ass honda guy out of houston texas he knows hondas and the bottom end of the h22 should be stronger than the b18. on low boost he is pushing 385 hp to thw wheels (craZy fast) i just wanna know a good set up i plan on puttin a stage 2 exedy cluch and a thiker head gasket with a block gaurd. i should be fine i just wanna know a set up that will push more power than a t3 t4 or 16g or t25 i want close to 400hp tuned right and those wont get me close
i dont' believe 385 hp on a stock h22 block. i would have to see the dyno sheet to believe it. and if you know the guy, why don't you just ask him what his setup is???

Stock ls i saw dyno sheets and i have rode in it when we raped a viper, i did ask him but i cant get a hold of him the turbo setup he has is like a hybrid ball bearing something i am just waiting for someone to say the kind of turbo and i will remember he is in iraq right now but i am in the middle of spending major cash on my ride and i want the best set up with best turbo i can get for 4000 and you can push mad hp with a bad ass tune. it is done everyday

yeah I agree - I would have to see the dyno sheet to believe it...if he is running that much power! im sure he can give you a hell of a lot better idea of what to buy then anyone on this forum! dont post here if your claiming to have someone with that type of set up

some please help know one know shit about boost

that is a great sentence!

if you have $4000 then just get any of your standard turbo kits and strap it on. Most kits are less than that amount for the most power get a larger turbo. a greddy tdo5h will make less than a t3/t04 hybrid. just get the turbo kit for an H22 and you'll make no less than 250whp unless you really screw someting up.

Exhaust might be a concern since i doubt the down pipe in the kit would match up in a hybrid car. look around on Hasport or search for hybrid down pipes or make one.

but when looking for the best power for the money spent junkyard is the way to go. you could save $3000 of those dollars peicing together your own kit.

then you could spend that extra oney on putting the power to the ground, slicks, axles

Last edited:
what kinda power do you want out of it. i could say for 650 whp the gt35r is the best at $1195 or for 300 whp quick spool a t3 57 trim is fine and would set you back about $500.

the motor will hold you back the most. In my personal experience I've never seen a stock h22 make over 300 whp. I've seen stock b-series motors make well over 400. what you should be focusing more on would be the lag...do you want a lot of lag or no? I dont hit boost till 5k and its pretty annoying. I could have gone with a smaller turbo and 1. hit boost sooner 2. made the same amount of power.

the bottom end of the h22...mostly the ringlands wont like boost at all. the ls motor is a much better motor to boost. I've seen 20+ pounds with a t3/t4 on an ls pushing just under 400 to the wheels, daily driven for a year before the car was sold.

we need more information...how much power you want, keep in mind anything over 250 on the h isn't safe. Not saying it cant be done but unless you have the cash to replace the motor when it goes, you probably shouldn't push much more than that. also what kind of lag you're looking for, what sort of racing the car is intended for...other stuff like that.

sorry if i come off like a bitch i am use to spray, i am looking to make 300, 350 i guess i could get a smaller turbo and get it ported and clipped and it should spool alot harder and faster. so i guess in yalls opinion h22 is not the motor to boost? so the ls is a much better set up for boost? what do you think about a big 16 G

Back