Best Turbo Most Power For The Money

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

350 on any stock motor b, d, or h isn't safe. its been done, but its not safe...hell I'm gonna try to do it on my motor. in general though b series motors handle boost better than h series motors. you still need to tell us what the car is going to be used for...drag racing, autocross, road racing...daily driver? I have a lot of lag. if I would do it again I'd get a smaller turbo to eliminate some of that lag since I dont race that often.

road racing / drag i have another daily driver but i like to drive the civic so i do drive it alot but mainly highway rolls or drag

so mainly what i want is a good drag / highway car that can be daily driven if need be but will only be a daily driver 25 % of the time

if you have $4000 to spend get a garrett gt series ball-bearing turbo. if i were in your shoes, i would look at either a GT2876, or a GT30. but i believe in achieving boost lower in the power band where it is more useable for street driving.

Pistons, rods, and if youre not going sleeve the block i recommend using a Blockguard.
Now if you're a baller like me:p get yourself a gt35r turbo with .63ar for quick spool, 3" exhaust and dp, and a nice equal length turbo manifold. dont forget about the clutch.:D

Ohh and of course TUNING.

Good Luck!

i am putting the motor in now i am puttin stage 2 exedy cluch and 400whp shafts hasport mounts ect. then in a few months by the turbo kit i will prob put thicker head gasket and block gaurd in with some arp head studs and i plan on running open down pipe, fuck exaust u dont need it just un-needed back pressure. and i found a guy to tune it for me that is really good with hondas. i was looking into the gt30 but i was just wondering when it starts to spool.

WHY SHAFTS? Theres no need to upgrade em..The stock ones should be more than enough... Why not upgrade your fuel system instead. Your engine will love you.:D

WHY SHAFTS? Theres no need to upgrade em..The stock ones should be more than enough... Why not upgrade your fuel system instead. Your engine will love you.:D
+1

i plan on adj fuel reg and bigger fuel pump when about to turbo i saw the gt30 doesnt come in complete package where could i get a complete package with a gt30 or where can i buy a kit with no turbo, or will i have to buy it piece by peice. the shafts will have to be swap shafts and i found a good deal on some shafts they just happened to be rated at 400 whp, and what about the clutch i am think exedy but is there a better company to go with i had ram before it sucked lasted a year.

doesn't B swear that blockgaurds lead to hotspots at the top of the block, on a good tune stock sleeves could handle 250 ft/lbs asumming your spinning up to 7200rpm.

i think thebad outways the good for block gaurds. if your not going to build it i see no reason to even use it concidering you have to bore after installing a block gaurd.

i think thebad outways the good for block gaurds. if your not going to build it i see no reason to even use it concidering you have to bore after installing a block gaurd.
huh? ^^^ Bore what? you dont have to bore the cylinder after installing a block guard.... Just get the block guard in place and wuallaaaaa.

ohh shit...I just noticed youre building an h series... i, for some reason thought you had a b series.
I dont know crap about h series...damn

huh? ^^^ Bore what? you dont have to bore the cylinder after installing a block guard.... Just get the block guard in place and wuallaaaaa.

Installing a blockgaurd will distort the roundness and the straightness of the cylinder walls, requiring a hone to bring the cylinders back within spec.

how does a hone get rid of a oval cylinder? a hone refinishes the walls of a cylinder so the rings will seat properly when you do a basic rebuild, or so i thought.

H22 or B

The B series will take more boost with a stock setup. H22s are notorius for having weak ringlands. I've seen more than one set of broken pistons on H22s. H22s also have a different type of sleeve (FMR) so you can't use forged pistons with them. Mahle makes a specially coated piston to use with the FMR sleeves but you really need to get the right hone for the pistons to work. (shops that build Porche engines should be familiar with that sleeve type) With good tuning you should be able to get around 300 reliable whp out of a internally stock H22. A good engine management setup is necessary. Air/fuel ratio under boost will be around 12:1 and timing will be dialed back considerably.
I'm using a GT 30 with a .82 hotside and it works great on the street, spools fast and it's good for over 550 whp. Dont use anything smaller than a GT28. You'll be pushing a lot of air with a 2.2 liter.
Again a B series will make more reliable hp on a tuned stock engine. Use good aftermarket headbolts and upgrade fuel, engine mgmt., clutch etc. systems.
Up through 96, H22s are closed decks so block guards can't be used and aren't needed.

Good luck

Last edited:
Back