Best way to stay awake

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yoshi

I'm headin down to A&M this weekend to see a friend and its about a 4 hour trip.No big deal but I have problems stayin awake when i drive for extened amounts of time. so I was just wonderin what do you guys do to stay awake when your drivin for a long period of time.

4 hour drive ain't that bad. i'm planning to drive up to PA next month and its 10 freakin' hours. Hell, i went down to FL a coupla times and it took me 8 hours. GA sucks.

you could stop every hour or so at a rest stop/gas station and stretch your legs, drink some soft drinks. while you're driving you can blast the music, or you could just speed, that'll keep you awake for sure.

i am having a lot of trouble stayin awake in classes......the harder i try to stay awake the sleepier i get. =/

Shit, ten hours is nothing I drove from California to Texas. I did have my fiance' with me, but it was still hard. I just blasted the system, only thing that worked, also new scenery helped, but I can't give any more advice other than loud music and lots of caffine, you could also try some "SPEED" keep you wired for a long time. J/K.

Beef jerky and orange soda. Play loud rock music. Or if you have bass, some rap. Run DMC!
Umm...If you get sleepy, roll the window down and stick your head out. Act goofy. Wave at people as you drive by. Blow girls kisses. You look like an idiot, but I got a number like that one time. Talk to people as you drive by them. Say hi and all that. Make the best of it. The most fun I have is when I'm in my car all by myself.

And cheer up, word. Ga isn't that bad!
You gotta represent the dirty south!

I can't tell you what to do about the sleeping in class thing...
Me----> :sleep:

Four hours is NOTHING dude. lol. Try driving 1050 or 2100 miles in one shot. ;)

Well good music helps and also before the drive, I kind of psych myself up thinking about how great it will be when I get there. It builds up the adrenaline levels. Never think negatively about the drive. Don't dread it. I'll drink water or a little Gatorade, but not tea (not a coffee drinker)... the caffeine will make you want to pee, and the blood-sugar level fluctuations ain't so hot for you either.

The thing that I have always used and my boss told me about is to chew gum, and it works well, but sometimes you have a really tired jaw afterwards, so remember to change your peice. Also I am an EMT and you will not believe how many cars we find that have over-turned and have the system blasting, it does not always work, and there is no real safe method to driving while tired, so if you are really tired pull over and sleep...

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Sep 19 2003, 05:24 PM
Four hours is NOTHING dude. lol. Try driving 1050 or 2100 miles in one shot. ;)

Well good music helps and also before the drive, I kind of psych myself up thinking about how great it will be when I get there. It builds up the adrenaline levels. Never think negatively about the drive. Don't dread it. I'll drink water or a little Gatorade, but not tea (not a coffee drinker)... the caffeine will make you want to pee, and the blood-sugar level fluctuations ain't so hot for you either.

Caffiene doesn't make me wanna piss, drinking ANY fluid makes me want to stop and leak.

I do a 14 1/2 hour trip to Myrtle Beach S.C every year from mass. I do it at the dead of night also. Leave at like 7 at night, get there at 8:30 or so.... The way I do it is I take a no dowse and a 6 pack of Mt. Dew........Keeps me wide awak..... oh and I get a shit load of rest the night and day before.....

I make the 500+ mile drive from San Diego to the Bay area and back at least once a month. It's not so bad. It takes me about 6 hours, speeding. Drink lots of fluids, bring a bunch of good music, roll a lot of joints... :wall:

head down to your local truck stop, im sure there's many where you live, and ask a skinny looking trucker if he will sell you a line of meth.

I have driven from michigan to LA. Very long drive. Playing loud music will not do it. Your body adapts to the loud music so you must always change what you are doing. Change styles of music all the time, go a 20 minutes with the heat full blast, then roll down the window the next 20 minutes. Drink alot of coffee, red bull, what ever. Eating also kinda wakes you up. Everyonce in a while, get off the highway, stop somewhere, run for a little bit.

Also, if you have loud exhaust, see if they have a silencer for your exhaust. The constant loud droan will put you to sleep.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Sep 19 2003, 05:10 PM
I have driven from michigan to LA. Very long drive. Playing loud music will not do it. Your body adapts to the loud music so you must always change what you are doing. Change styles of music all the time, go a 20 minutes with the heat full blast, then roll down the window the next 20 minutes. Drink alot of coffee, red bull, what ever. Eating also kinda wakes you up. Everyonce in a while, get off the highway, stop somewhere, run for a little bit.

Also, if you have loud exhaust, see if they have a silencer for your exhaust. The constant loud droan will put you to sleep.

I agree with everything asmallsol said exept the running part. If I drove by and saw you running down the freeway I would laugh at you. :lol:

My buddy recently pulled a 20hour trip to AZ from WA, and all he did to stay away was a case of rockstar. Every hour or so, he would drink one, pull off the free way, piss, then drive for another hour or whatever. Wasn't too tough he said at all.

I have never driven over 4 hours and yeah 4 hours is usually pretty easy, maybe a couple yellow jackets like B said, they get you wired pretty good for a while, but coming off them is what kills me. I snooze right afterwards.

u guys are a bunch of girls! i drove from phoenix to south carolina in 2 days....16hrs worth of driving per day..all done on lots of coffe and soda pop.

DUDE you need to take a Girl and have her BLOW you every 20minutes .....lets make it 5 minutes,TRUST ME that will keep you up and HAPPY,With that i drove from Los Angeles to Calexico mexican border and back 6 to 8 hour drive non stop dont ask why.

NO DOZE, thats all you need, just take 1/2 when you leave, and the other half when you start to get tired, you will be fine, its only 4 hours.... if your really bad just take a 2...

no doze is pussy shit. Yellow jackets dude. trust me.

E was up for 3 days on 2 pills. "All natural" too

Back