best way to strengthen subframe on EG?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I have heard stories of civic rear subframes tearing/shearing under stress from having a big sway bar installed and was wondering what the best way to prevent this would be.

Comptech makes a kit for the EK's that has a swaybar and a billet plate that ties the subframe and provides mount points for the swaybar bushings.... would this fit an EG?

comptech3_bar.jpg

there is a similar kit by Suspension Techniques that has an adjustable tie bar instead of a solid piece... they make a kit of the EG, would the adjustable tie bar be better or worse as far as subframe tears are concerned?
ST-SPTCSW.jpg

there is another company that makes a kit for strengthening the subframe as well but it doesn't seem like that would do much (Beak's Subframe reinforcement kit)
fig5.jpg

also, are there any sway bar kits that can be used on a car that didn't come with a rear swaybar? or would I have to get new LCA's that have the mounting holes allready in them?

thanks

i'm using the beaks right now on my del sol, and used it on my 96 coupe. works out very well. however, i think the comptech is the best produced one out there, if you can afford it, get that one, no question. you will need the one for the DC2, the EK one does not fit the EG.

you have never had problems with the subframe when using the beaks kit? are you running a tiebar as well as a swaybar?

does comptech make that kit for the dc2/EG? I have only seen it for the EK's and the 03'si

I like the look of the suspension techniques kit, but it seems like it would be the same as the beaks w/tie bar

did the sol come with a rear swaybar? if not, what did you do to install it?

is it possible just to drill a hole in the lca that you could use to connect the sway bar too?

yes, they make one for the DC2, but they do not state that it is for EG also, but it will work.
no problems with beaks yet, on the del sol i have no tie bar, on my coupe i did. if you have a tie bar in the EG, you need longer bolts for the tie bar if you wish to use it along with the beaks sway bar kit.
my del sol is a del sol vtec, so yes it had a sway bar stock. i don't know of anyone who has drilled their lca's for the mounting bolts, they usually get ones from EG's that had stock sways.
i still suggest the comptech unit, i should have gotten it myself. but the beaks is working fine so far.

ive got the suspension tech setup ... its pretty badass... i love it

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Nov 4 2003, 04:20 AM

no probs with the subframe with the ST setup?
does that come with sway bar end links?

if I were to pick that up all I would have to then do would be to find a set of LCA's that had a mounting point for the endlinks?

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Nov 4 2003, 04:20 AM

I saw the research they did on the full susp. techniques setup on a del sol si.
it registered 1.01 lateral G's on the skidpad!! that's the same as a mclaren f1! a stock civic pulls 0.46G ish

Originally posted by seanjuan+Nov 4 2003, 11:03 AM-->
@Nov 4 2003, 04:20 AM

no probs with the subframe with the ST setup?
does that come with sway bar end links?

if I were to pick that up all I would have to then do would be to find a set of LCA's that had a mounting point for the endlinks?

my setup required a little modification to the end links (used one for the Del Sol but i have ITR LCAs) it wasnt too bad though

so if I were to find a set of Teg LCA's (non-itr) the endlinks that come with the Susp. Tech. kit should work just fine?

what happened to your Sol LCA's? if you still have them would they fit my EG?

make something.

for the itr bar to work on the teg you needed a metal plate and a spacer.find some washers and some 1/8" thick metal plate stuff and drill some holes.

mine has survived 5 days at the track (300+ miles easy) and a ton of autox.

i can take pics when i take off my suspension

Originally posted by 98integrals@Nov 5 2003, 03:55 PM
make something.

for the itr bar to work on the teg you needed a metal plate and a spacer.find some washers and some 1/8" thick metal plate stuff and drill some holes.

mine has survived 5 days at the track (300+ miles easy) and a ton of autox.

i can take pics when i take off my suspension

I thought about doing that as well
it doesn't seem like it would take too much work to put something like that together

I'd love to see pics,

thanks

these arnt my pics but it is what i used to make mine:

here

i know that its for an ITR bar but most bars have the same/similar mounting point to the subframe.

anyways its not that hard to measure stuff either.

i had a type-r sway bar on the eg and it ripped my sub frame apart. i ended up havin to spend about 2 days. making my own brackets and re-welding the whole thing. i use 3/8 steel plates and hand bent them (welding tourch and heat does wonders to steel) and shaped to the subframe then welded them on. the process was long as hell and it was all custom work.

Originally posted by 98integrals+Nov 5 2003, 10:26 PM-->
these arnt my pics but it is what i used to make mine:

here

i know that its for an ITR bar but most bars have the same/similar mounting point to the subframe.

anyways its not that hard to measure stuff either.
that is a sweet page, thanks for the link

"dragoon118"

i had a type-r sway bar on the eg and it ripped my sub frame apart. i ended up havin to spend about 2 days. making my own brackets and re-welding the whole thing. i use 3/8 steel plates and hand bent them (welding tourch and heat does wonders to steel) and shaped to the subframe then welded them on. the process was long as hell and it was all custom work.

could you tell me more about your setup? did you JUST have the ITR bar on there with no reinforcement? When you say it "ripped up the subframe" do you mean the subframe started coming off the bottom of the car or that the mounting holes just got torn up? Do you have any pictures that you could show as far as the damage or the custom work you did... I'd like to see

thanks guys, I'm going to put a sway bar on for sure still, I just want to make sure I know how to prep my ride to handle it

would I have to worry about the subframe if I were to put a stock GSR bar on the back? I might be able to get one really cheap with the purchase of some GSR lca's and maybe I'd just put it on for a while and save some cash for a nicer bar next summer

Originally posted by seanjuan@Nov 7 2003, 08:16 AM
would I have to worry about the subframe if I were to put a stock GSR bar on the back? I might be able to get one really cheap with the purchase of some GSR lca's and maybe I'd just put it on for a while and save some cash for a nicer bar next summer

you wont have to worry about it with the stock gsr sway bar.

that's what I figured

I think I might do that and see how that changes the handling and then start a "good sway bar fund"

we'll see though

thats good news about the ST rear bar and tie kit. My brother just got me that for Christmas, cant wait to get it on the car.

Did you have to modify anything to get it on the Del Sol? I have a Del Sol Si, im not worried about it fitting, just want to make sure its good that im not worrying, ya know? Any problems with that tearing the subframe?

-Chris

Originally posted by BlackFrog@Nov 8 2003, 11:01 PM
thats good news about the ST rear bar and tie kit. My brother just got me that for Christmas, cant wait to get it on the car.

Did you have to modify anything to get it on the Del Sol? I have a Del Sol Si, im not worried about it fitting, just want to make sure its good that im not worrying, ya know? Any problems with that tearing the subframe?

-Chris

you are allready getting x-mas presents? WTF?

I found some DC rear lower LCA's locally so I just have to pick them up and then choose a sway bar setup

gotta order some upper strut bars as well

what's a good choice for a front lower tiebar?

Back