Bet with my friend

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i think John Kerr used some form of Uberdata, either way it's chipped. Let me get my new turbo in i ordered a new wastegate that has yet to come in, then i need to redo my downpipe and some charge piping should be a day or two of work some saturday afternoon and then tuning will be in order.

so EGT is just a gauge?

You need to drill a small hole in the mani for the probe, then wire it to the gauge with pwr/gnd.

why do you think that is essential,
for figuring out the efficientcy of the turbo as a part of tuning?
for a wideband, doesn't VW make one that i could use for around $50?

oh i have money, i like to smoke weed. . . he'd rather see me spend that money on my car.

so i'll put in a new transmission, get slicks and learn to drive it, and i should be set after i install my turbo. seems simple let estimate how much i am going to spend
liberal high end estimates
transmission from hmotorsonline: type-r $1200, b16 $700
Good tires - $250
tuning - $200
total - $1450
not too bad, i can budget that much in 4 months

oh yeah, the turbo i have, has a 2 inch outlet to the exhaust should i still use a 3 inch downpipe since the gases are under pressure they need to room to expand is my reasoning.
this is getting kinda technical maybe move it to the another forum, i am not sure which one though

ok.. so you're going to spend all this money to win $40... :shrug2: .. doesnt seem worth it..

I think its the bragging rights.

The EGT helps with tuning timing. Also will be a good sign if something is going wrong and to LET OFF! :lol:

all about bragging rights, this is stuff i am going to do to my car anyway he just wants to see me at the track, i want to be at the track.

too bad he'll never use fifth gear in the 1/4 mile.
i have to worry about 1, 2, 3, and 4.

depends on the length of the gears but you're probably right.
i need to eventually get a vtec head and such, as of right now i am at the redline in 3rd at the 1320 mark

that was NA

i didn't boost my hatch, only my current car but due to poor sixty foot times i could beat my old times.
I need to make my currently 16 second del Sol into a low 13 second car.
plans thus far;
new syncros in the trans at the very least.
good tires up front
60 trim t3 turbo(.60intake/.63exhaust) with 10 psi in boost, compared to the malfunctioning wastegate i have that puts me around 2-3 psi with a 14b
15's in a b18a1 hatch
16's in a del sol
Ummmmmm ooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.................dude thats like very unusuall for those cars and motors.
You probably could have hit 16's with the stock hatch motor.
I mean a good driver can hit 16's with the stock hatch motor.

I think we will get along well dude. Smoking, welding, cheap power......you just need a lil help on the tuning end and making that car run what it should be running :cool:

I can get a basemap for your motor and make a map with crome with boost tools and all that crap added. I know crome pretty well now and could get that car running fast pretty quickly. lemme know when you're done building and have a wideband. I have an EGT gauge sitting in a box for another car I'm working on. We could just use it for tuning purposes and then put a plug in the hole for the probe when we're done. Then if you get a guage its already tapped too :)

I honestly think you're lining yourself up for some disappointment.

Where's the disappointment going to be?

He originally ran ~16seconds.

By the end of this project he should be running a high 13 second pass, ATLEAST. Depending on how well he learns to drive and what he does, he could be out there beating up on some respectable modern cars like stock Evo's, STi's, 350z's, mustangs, etc.

Of course his buddy's Mach 1 mustang is a better platform to start from for the quarter mile, but that doesn't mean that he can't get satisfaction from vast improvement.

When I started with my WRX, I was going to be one of the fastest around. There wasn't much local that could beat me except for corvettes and such. Now that the new WRX came out, the mazdaspeed 3 and 6, STi, Evo, etc., etc. I'm not so quick anymore but that doesn't make what I accomplished any less impressive.

Thank god for that WRX.

////sarcasm ////sarcasm.

I haven't seen any of the problems, with my car, that you complained about with your WRX with the exception of poor gas milage after I did some serious modifications.

Anything less than perfect with the car is a result of modding. Even so, after being tuned my gas mileage should be around 25-27mpg on the highway again.

yeh, i guess this is basically about building a 13 second turbocharged honda, which is easily accomplished.
I think my ingrediants are right.
but the Mach 1 will be faster if he does anything to it.

Back