Bi-Metallic Flywheels

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thetoymaker

Hi Guys!

I've been working hard and educating myself and have run across an interesting material, I work with it everyday, specialty bonded metals, Bimetallics, Sheets of it in various thicknesses we CNC it for our customers.

I want to make some flywheels or brake rotors out of it, The machine shop I have downstairs can fabricate ANYTHING, or at least it would seem so.

Think, thin stainless steel bonded to slightly thicker aluminum and how light you could make that, or how about Ti? Of course Ti might be a little more that SS but some people have it, we do.

This is not a bolt-job or a weld, it is explosion-bonded and therefore retains the strength of both parent materials, I'll bet bi-metallic brake rotors could be nice as well, for Aluminum is very heat conductive compared to steel, making for a quick cooling rotor, if cross-drilled and sloted (which we can do on our CNC's) it would cool even faster.

If interested, ask more questions and get back in touch with me so I can show the boss your interest.

It's good to be back!

L8ter

The toymaker.

How about accounting for differences in expansion rates vs heat for the two different metals you would put in a brake rotor? I don't think I would want that.

Back