Big Important Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

IDMaxGuy

Okay heres the deal, I was supposed to get a 03' MazdaSpeed Protegé. But that isnt working out so my mom feels bad and knows I want a fast car. So she is lending me her platinum card, so I'll have about $7,500 to spend on the ole honda. I already know Im going H22 in the Accord. But I want to build up the motor. I have no clue what is best what Ill need. I am wanting a low 13 Qm set-up that is still street legal(even if barely). I know this is possible, but what will I need to do it? I already plan on using Hondata. Please ya'll, be serious no stupid shit, I know there are some really smart people on this board. And yes i want to put it into my Honda so dont tell me to buy another car., the only other car i want is more than $7,500.

Wow, an all-motor street-legal low 13 setup is going to be kinda tough. With an Accord, anyway.

First question, does the $7500 include the price of the engine and installation, or is that over and above?

Of course, all the typical bolt-ons. CAI, good header (none of the DC crap), exhaust, high-flow cat. Some adjustable cam gears to help with your Hondata tuning.

I suppose you could go with some overbore JDM Type S pistons and having the block bored out .025".

Throw the pistons on some Eagle rods.

Add some Skunk2 Stage 2 cams, retainers, valves, and valve springs.

Get the head ported and polished.

Get a Hondata intake manifold gasket.

Get a Skunk2 manifold (when they're released) or a Type S manifold, and have it port-matched and polished.

Have Kingmotorsports or someone like that bore and polish your throttle body.

Get rid of A/C and P/S.

Have inlinefour.com remove the p/s portion of your crank pulley, and rebalance it.

Think about a CF hood and other weight-shaving possibilities for that beast of an Accord.

Of course, all this stuff needs appropriate suspension and brake work.

How's that for a start? :D

skunk2 stage 2 cams
skunk2 dual valve springs
skunk2 titanium retainers
ferrea stainless valves(not oversized)
prelude type s pistons
eagle h beam rods or crower 4340(i think)
cometic head gasket
3 angle valve job
port and polish
skunk2 intake manifold or euro-r
port matched manifolds ;)
smsp header or an-r or mugen or greddy
hondata intake manifold gasket
test pipe/hi flow cat
whatever exhaust your heart desires
p72 ecu with hondata s200 unit
vafc controller(for on the fly vtec settings :) )
aem fuel rail
aem fpr
aem fuel filter
skunk2 cam gears
euro r tranny
act/clutchmasters/centerforce clutch. whichever you prefer
fidanza flywheel

and lots of dyno tuning. i'm sure i'm forgetting some things. :)

Or the JDM Type S tranny. Both are pretty sweet.

And I've done lots of research on that damn Euro-R intake manifold. It's a bitch to get it installed. MUCH less hassle with a Type S or Skunk2.

Alright, maybe it wasn't easy. But I did find one.

Back when I still had my Accord, I did some searching on the net and found someone who had a bunch of JDM Type S parts for sale. Cams, pistons, manifolds, etc. The only thing he didn't have was the LSD from the tranny....just whole trannies which I couldn't afford.

I really can't remember where it was that I found it....like I said, it was awhile ago.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Sep 26 2003, 09:23 AM
Alright, maybe it wasn't easy. But I did find one.

Back when I still had my Accord, I did some searching on the net and found someone who had a bunch of JDM Type S parts for sale. Cams, pistons, manifolds, etc. The only thing he didn't have was the LSD from the tranny....just whole trannies which I couldn't afford.

I really can't remember where it was that I found it....like I said, it was awhile ago.

i've looked and have came up empty handed. however the euro-r and type s manifolds are supposed to be the same manifolds. there are two problems people run into. the tb and the fuel rail. other than that. it's not a big hastle. a lot of sights advertise every part for the type-s but when the manifold comes up they sell the euro-r which makes me believe what i've been told about the two.

From what I've seen on tech articles posted on Honda-Tech, the Euro-R manifold (which came on the H22A7) ONLY fits the Euro-R engine. Easily, anyway. There are extensive mods that must be done to it in order to make it fit. I haven't heard of problems with the TB, but there are problems with the IAC (mounts in front on most models, mounts in rear on the Euro-R), EGR and some holes that are drilled in the mounting flange.

I'm kinda lazy to go search, but Honda-Tech has a wonderful write-up with tons of pics on the installation.

As far as I know, the H22A7 and the H22A Type S are somewhat different. The Type S H22A is very similar to the JDM H22A base engine, which is why the manifold is supposed to bolt up so much easier. One reason I KNOW they're different manifolds is the above-mentioned IAC mounting point.

well the problem with the tb was finding the manifold with the stock one on there. so when people bought them they'd use their h22a1 or h22a tb on it and it would cause problems and vauum leaks. the only real other problem i've sourced through honda-tech is that you cannot use a stock h22 fuel rail. you have to use like a 90-93 accord fuel rail.

the motor im getting come out of the prelude type s JDM, my accord is OBDII so im getting the 97-01 h22a motor. its more expensice but better. so ya the 7500 is for all swap and everything.

they all forgot 1 thing, get a FAT pair of slicks, with that h22a u will be able to spin it all the way through 3rd, so make sure they are HUGE. also think about getting MSD, for launch control, invest in some aftermarket axels, b/c my friend with a STOCK h22a in a civic coupe constantly breaks axels, but with slicks runs 13.3's.

As soon as you get a JDM motor it won't be street legal... unless you can find a good smog shop (where they don't do visual inspection).

Originally posted by jiahanhao@Sep 26 2003, 08:29 PM
As soon as you get a JDM motor it won't be street legal... unless you can find a good smog shop (where they don't do visual inspection).

lol i live in nixa missouri, wow, okay put this in perspective what u guy consider street "legal" is diff. Ill refrase that I want to run on pump gas. lol there are farm trucks driving around here with open headers, its common. all the cops do is tell you to put your exhaust back on... the only thing they know about imports that is illegal is nitrous, if they see an open wastegate they just scratch there heads. i live in hick-ville.

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Sep 26 2003, 12:41 PM
invest in some aftermarket axels, b/c my friend with a STOCK h22a in a civic coupe constantly breaks axels, but with slicks runs 13.3's.

Your friend broke axels cuz of the angle the H22 sits in a Civic, not a good angle for hard launches. In an Accord i dont think he'll have that axel-snapping problem.

Back