Big lesson to learn about cars

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Im sayin 15k as in every thing over 10 years with my ek, honestly if i built the car over again i would spend around 6 maybe. Thats a good trade off for any thing over 250 to wheels in my eyes. My hole point of the post is just bolt on shit and dont try to make a superhonda, just buy a s2k and enjoy it. Honda prides it self on thier N/a horse power if you want a fast ef/eg/ek just buy a gsr motor and be done with it. As far as newer cars out look at the ep3 or a rsx you can drive one away for less than 8k. With minor bolt on's you can put down 200whp and spend next to nothing.

s2000 is nothing more than a rwd honda civic and the rsx has been proven to be a horrible base for a race car.

S2k makes a great race car. When ever my del slo dies, this is probably what I'll move onto; or I'll build the Evo for road racing.

Yes, the RSX does make a horrible race car, the TSX makes a great race car though. :)

This thread sucks.

Less hondas at shows = way more choices now then 12-13 years ago. That goes for both after market parts for many more cars and also TONS more choices with cars.

It took how long to get a real WRX here? now we have EVOs and STIs! Lets not forget cars like the Speed series mazdas, even chevy put out some good modding choices for compact cars and dodge got in on it with the neon.

Go back to mid to late 90s there was next to nothing out side of honda civics/accords and eclipses.

You will almost never get money back out of a car unless you buy a very old car and return it to stock. any mods to a classic car can hurt the value. If you build a car the correct way and list it at the right places you can get money for a car and recap a good bit of your investment.

example for a honda.

Very clean Civic with a low mileage GSR motor and Type R LSD tranny with a mugen or other higher quality, exhaust, intake, wheels and lowering springs/struts and brakes. IF clean should bring in good money if sold in the right market.

However a civic with a random JDM swap with a random intake, random exhaust some minor head work, basic body that is clean and a cool radio/sound system wont bring money in.

When looking at civics I aways passed on any car that had an engine swap with any type of motor work unless opening the motor meant putting in sleeves and legit head work.

My civic had a fully built block, darton sleeves, after market oil pump gear, head work, turbo system that was upgraded from day one (trashed the crap parts like the delta waste gate) full custom 3" exhaust with no bends, all bends were cut/weld/cut/weld/cut/weld everthing was done right, nothing motor wise was half assed.

body was clean, wheels were basic, brakes were basic, but the motor was done right.

I traded the car for $4500 cash + an audi A4. Did I make my money back? nope, I had around 25K into the car, if I bought any car for 25K drove it for 2-3 years and sold it, I would have made about the same money off the deal. a loss no doubt, but I was happy.

Is the honda scene from the past over? It will never be back to the ways it was, but when it comes to legit modders, I know a good bit of people who are still drag racing fans who I cant see ever leaving hondas, of course those same people are making 600-700-800-900WHP in their cars. In fact my old car (with the new owner) last time down the track made just under 900WHP and ran I believe a 9.3 To this day years later he's still running hondas.

S2k makes a great race car. When ever my del slo dies, this is probably what I'll move onto; or I'll build the Evo for road racing.

Yes, the RSX does make a horrible race car, the TSX makes a great race car though. :)

RSX and TSX both = FWD meaning for racing reasons outside of SCCA style stuff or straight line drag racing with big slicks. It's just a waste to make any real power.
My old civic at 260WHP street tune, was pointless in 1st and 2nd gear, 3rd gear was ok if you eased into it but would spin the tires with ease if floored, with the LS tranny I was running, 3rd gear = around 90mph

Total waste of a car for street use, looking back on it I wish I never did it unless I got into drag racing, something I never really cared about.

Linhs car is a 2007 Civic SI, I think they make 195hp? with the 17" wheels her car has traction issues in 1st gear. High powered FWD cars are just not fun once you get a taste of the other side RWD =)

RSX and TSX both = FWD meaning for racing reasons outside of SCCA style stuff or straight line drag racing with big slicks. It's just a waste to make any real power.
My old civic at 260WHP street tune, was pointless in 1st and 2nd gear, 3rd gear was ok if you eased into it but would spin the tires with ease if floored, with the LS tranny I was running, 3rd gear = around 90mph

Total waste of a car for street use, looking back on it I wish I never did it unless I got into drag racing, something I never really cared about.

Linhs car is a 2007 Civic SI, I think they make 195hp? with the 17" wheels her car has traction issues in 1st gear. High powered FWD cars are just not fun once you get a taste of the other side RWD =)
High powered FWD cars are great for road racing if built right. But I'm not quite sure what you mean in terms of outside SCCA type stuff.. Heck, BTCC is going to allow ONLY FWD cars in their series starting in a couple years.

High powered FWD cars are great for road racing if built right. But I'm not quite sure what you mean in terms of outside SCCA type stuff.. Heck, BTCC is going to allow ONLY FWD cars in their series starting in a couple years.

What do you call a high powered FWD car? My old civic would have been total crap on a road course 260WHP was enough to not have any traction in 1st or 2nd, I'd rather have a stock civic SI with suspension work for a race car then my old built civic.

road course track car for me would = CRX or old civic, slightly worked B18a/b 140-150WHP if even that motor, lots of weight reduction and suspension/brake work.

What do you call a high powered FWD car? My old civic would have been total crap on a road course 260WHP was enough to not have any traction in 1st or 2nd, I'd rather have a stock civic SI with suspension work for a race car then my old built civic.

road course track car for me would = CRX or old civic, slightly worked B18a/b 140-150WHP if even that motor, lots of weight reduction and suspension/brake work.
I saying up to 300whp. HCH1 civics make that much on frank k24 motors. With a proper clutch type lsd on race tires you have tons of grip.

My del slo makes 176whp and weighs exactly 2,000 lbs. I never have issues with wheel spin. I plan on putting a built B18C in there to make ~215whp and is considered moderate for TTC/HCH2&1

On a road course you never are in 1st unless doing a standing start; and I only use 2nd gear for a split second at infineon and thunderhill.

You've never beaten on one through the twisties then.

never beaten on one, but i have beat one. my buddy blue has a pretty nice s2k but no engine work done to it. my fit was faster when it was turboed. when we stopped he was like "man, i didnt know your car was that fast" and i said "i didnt know your car was that slow".

Last edited:
never beaten on one, but i have beat one. my buddy blue has a pretty nice s2k but no engine work done to it. my fit was faster when it was turboed. when we stopped he was like "man, i didnt know your car was that fast" and i said "i didnt know your car was that slow".

Wow you put a turbo on your car and managed to be a 14 second car that was designed from the ground up to handle twisties. Let me know when you're fit is ready to take on my 350Z.

I beat 911s and corvettes on the highway with ease in my old turbo civic, clearly those cars suck too.

Wow you put a turbo on your car and managed to be a 14 second car that was designed from the ground up to handle twisties. Let me know when you're fit is ready to take on my 350Z.

I beat 911s and corvettes on the highway with ease in my old turbo civic, clearly those cars suck too.

hey hey hey. im just not a fan of s2k's. just an opinion. but it is a fact that i beat my buddys s2k IN THE TWISTIES! also, once i finish my crx, and get the kswap in my fit all done, im sure i will be able to beat your nissan. straight line or twisties

hey hey hey. im just not a fan of s2k's. just an opinion. but it is a fact that i beat my buddys s2k IN THE TWISTIES! also, once i finish my crx, and get the kswap in my fit all done, im sure i will be able to beat your nissan. straight line or twisties

Sounds like your buddy A. couldn't drive or B the street was super slow and tight.
The main limiting factor in twisties is traction, the fact that my rims alone are wider then any tire you can fit on the fit, gives me a slight advantage.

What's the widest rim a fit can hold with out having a crazy offset that sticks out past the fenders?

this thread makes me facepalm. as already stated, a car is a horrible investment.. if you're in it to make money its the wrong hobby for you
can't tell you how many times ive looked at my civic and thought about all the cash i have into it, but its not about making my money back for me, its something i love to do
not only that, but the feeling of building a car that im proud of is worth more than the money ill lose in the car

Sounds like your buddy A. couldn't drive or B the street was super slow and tight.
The main limiting factor in twisties is traction, the fact that my rims alone are wider then any tire you can fit on the fit, gives me a slight advantage.

What's the widest rim a fit can hold with out having a crazy offset that sticks out past the fenders?

with the fit, anything more than 7inch wide is overkill but the fact that the fit has such a short wheel base, it makes the car handle like a go kart. you also have to understand, ive probably spent twice what he has on mods. heres my buddys car. he has 17x9in wheels and he is a really good driver. im just a better driver:p

671653459_CT6gL-L.jpg

Agreed. So the fact that I beat my buddy in the twisties driving my totally stock Nissan Hardbody pickup wearing all-season tires while he was driving a new Miata must mean that all Miatas suck. Nope. Just means that he sucks at driving.

Hey, thats turn 13 at Thunderhill! I know that place well. :)

Hey, thats turn 13 at Thunderhill! I know that place well. :)

hey! i didnt see you were from the bay area. not alot of people from cali on hondaswap. you ever go to any track events? last time i tracked my car was for like two laps at infineon when opak had a test day a few months ago. other than that, i am aching to get back out there. i cant wait to finish my rex so i have a dedicated track car and i wont mind breaking stuff on it.

Yes, I go a lot. I've been an instructor with NASA for 3 years and will be doing TTC with NASA this year in the del sol.

Yes, I go a lot. I've been an instructor with NASA for 3 years and will be doing TTC with NASA this year in the del sol.

thats awesome. maybe ill see you out there at the next event. :thumbsup:

Back