big problems with gsr swap,please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg8gsr

i have a 92 civic sedan with a gsr swap. the car also had a p28 chipped ecu when i bought it.i was told it was just a cheap one,9200 rev limit and more fuel.i added a vafc2 after.the car was running fine for about 2 months then i went to start it and it died.i tried to start again and the same thing.one more time and it stayed running till i almost got home and it died while turning a corner.finally ran enough to get home.a few days later igot it up the road about a block and everything shut down(like i turned it off with the key).i put a new key switch and ignition switch,loosened the bleeder on the fuel filter and i know i have fuel,and checked all spark plug wires so i know i have spark.the car wont start at all now and i think it might be the ecu but not sure.if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.it will greatly be appreciated,the car was my daily driver.

i have checked the one coming out of the fuse box under the hood,its a little dirty but tight.batt ground is tight,ant the one from the valve cover also.if there are more that i need to check let me know.thanks.

is it throwing any codes.

Another ground that can cause alot of problems is the ground on the thermostat housing.

as far as i can tell the check engine light comes on when you turn the key,then turns off after a few seconds. so i dont think so,but i cant get it to run now.i dont know.im not going to give up though.

More than likely if the thermostat housing ins't grounded you will not get any spark at all however it may just be very dirty. I'm not a swap expert or anything but to me it sounds like it may be ECU related. Also the p28 would have no control for your dual butterfly in the throttle body so you may want to switch anyways.

any suggestions on which one?i know the p72 goes with that motor but i dont know if it will work with my car.

is there any other ecu i can use that will work (a little cheaper to come by)just until i can save enough $ for the p72?i really need the car to just run for now.thanks for everybody's help. :shrug2:

Does your car have any power? Does it try & crank over? I would check that thermostat ground. Takes 2 seconds & will save you a headache.

cranks with no problem,but now it wont start up at all(it used to and then die right after,not any more).this ordeal still sux but cant do sh#@ about it.thanks all!!!!!!

just because you changed plugs and wires doesnt mean you have spark. do you know how to check with the plug out if you are getting spark? without hurting yourself? try it if you do.

via each wire one at a time.if it was just plugs or wires it wouldnt just shut off all power also.so i dont know.im pretty sure that the problem is electrical,maybe not ecu but something electronicly controlled.

I vote for ignition module thingy in the dizzy.

Back