Big Turbo decision...need best advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXSI91

if u know what you are talking about,and can give an honest opinion (not based on the fact that u like 2 cams or 1...or b series or d series engines)...then please let me know what i should do...

its winter time..time to build my car up for next summer...i currently have a d15b7 (94 dx motor) in my 91 crx si....i just bought a Z6 head..and im about to put it on...now at first,i just wanted to vtec the rex,until i could save up for my b series...but more and more i think about it...all im looking to achieve is about 200 whp or close to it...but i dont know if i can do it on a dx bottom..now if i had a z6 block,then hell,id go for it..but dx isnt sounding too great to me...i need to hear honest opinions,and facts on the dx rods,and internals...let me know if its even NEAR possible to do so...if not,then i guess ill be going with a b series engine...give me some feedback please. :worthy:

not with stock internals, its not gonna be able to handle what its gonna take to give you close to 200 whp

If it's tuned well you should be able to get some good power out of it safely, enough power to smoke all those guys with b-series engine swaps anyways.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Dec 1 2004, 07:10 AM
If it's tuned well you should be able to get some good power out of it safely, enough power to smoke all those guys with b-series engine swaps anyways.
[post=424468]Quoted post[/post]​

lol once again, nowhere near your 200hp goal.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Dec 1 2004, 10:10 AM
[post=424468]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes this is true.. he can smoke some one who is swapped but then he comes along some one with a b series and turbo.. goner(props for what u have on your d16 though!

lol once again, nowhere near your 200hp goal.
[post=424486]Quoted post[/post]​

it depends on his budget like beer bong he is budgeted so.. he worked with it ! im budgeted as well.. turboing that d series will cost less than swapping if he does it all him self , and finds his parts ! beerbong will even tell you that

tuning tuning tuning right beerbong!

id agree with b-b and b20. you can hit 200 on a dx i was planing on it so i did all the research and it is possible. with a good (not to big not to small) turbo, good fuel man.(chipped is the best) if you or on a budget and get an fmu real cheap sell it and keep that money to chip.my set up was going to be a t3 from a saab dsm 440ccs safc(quick tune) fmic and a chipped p28 i was lookin at about a 60% increase once fully tuned @6-8psi and a stock dx motor is capable of handlin at least 10psi.
102hp x 60%(.6)=61.2
102+61.2=163.2
so up the boost
and you could hit 200. now if you do the same thing with a d16z6 125x.6=75
125+75=200
correct me if im wrong but d series are the shit. i will say tho i traded my d kit for a b seires but i will be coming back to boost a d

125+75=200
correct me if im wrong but d series are the shit. i will say tho i traded my d kit for a b seires but i will be coming back to boost a d
[post=424517]Quoted post[/post]​

i went b20 because d series even with turbo wouldnt slug enough torque to haul my car around fast enough lol! but for a coupe or hatchie specially a rex ur fine!

some where some ones missing his goalf 200 whp, it aint hap-nin, not with out building the block.

Originally posted by UDT@Dec 1 2004, 01:29 PM
some where some ones missing his goalf 200 whp, it aint hap-nin, not with out building the block.
[post=424523]Quoted post[/post]​

it is possible as long as his motor isnt to high of a mileage motor ! other wise would recommend rebuild or swap to d16y8 or some thing but surely can be done .. it all about tunning d series are seriously underated for what they are capable of . ive seen a single stock bottom end dump on a turbod b16 just because one knew his shit the other didnt !

the motor has 80,000 mileage..thats the only reason im considering it

but yea..keep in mind about that goal..i dont think it can be done either...leanin towards b series...but keep droppin opinions..thanks.

80,000 is kinda high if ur looking into 200 whp turbo unless the motor has been babies the whole way.. alot of people recommend rebuilds right around 80k if ur turboing

He can make 200whp on his motor if he wanted to, I'm not sure how long it would last, but it can be done without rebuilding it. Oh and I would rather turbo a d-series than a b20 anyday, the design of the b20 sleeves are crap, be careful because they will more than likely crack. They can't hold a decent amount of horsepower for very long, some have got lucky, but too many people have cracked the sleeves.

hey for the price of a d series motor slap the kit on the one you have now, go run people for some money and buy a new motor just incase

In my opinion, you should look at the torque numbers more, and the HP number less.

Sure, the wow factor of 394839843 hp won't be there, but you will have TONS more torque across the entire powerband.

By definition, if you make the same power at 3000 rpms, as opposed to 6000 rpms, that is a lower hp engine. HP is figured out through an equation, derived from torque.

hp=(torque*rpm)/5200

So, you guessed it, your hp and torque will always be exactly the same at 5200 rpms. Same torque down low yields a lower hp number.

Torque moves your car, and you will be happy with boost. By the time you get set up for boost, most of the parts can be kept for boosting a B series. Swap later.

id agree with b-b and b20. you can hit 200 on a dx i was planing on it so i did all the research and it is possible. with a good (not to big not to small) turbo, good fuel man.(chipped is the best) if you or on a budget and get an fmu real cheap sell it and keep that money to chip.my set up was going to be a t3 from a saab dsm 440ccs safc(quick tune) fmic and a chipped p28 i was lookin at about a 60% increase once fully tuned @6-8psi and a stock dx motor is capable of handlin at least 10psi.
102hp x 60%(.6)=61.2
102+61.2=163.2
so up the boost
125+75=200

only problem with this equation is that you are leaving out the Z6 head swap, which should put him between 120 and 130 hp...

my vote is go for boost...

well,i just got beat by a 94 probe GT today,so now i really need a good answer....

i mean honestly..i want to turbo the engine..but they dont make any aftermarket internals for a dx block..and the last thing i want to do,is blow a head gasket when i only ran 7 pounds....

im leaning towards swapping a b16..but i dont really know what i can get out of this motor..it doesnt seem like much,but yea,uppin for opinions.

if you are worried about the headgasket then replace it when you boost...

you don't need low compression pistons to avoid blowing a headgasket

get a d16 bottom end andd throw in a set of ls rods and for under 150 youv'e got a strong bottom end

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Dec 7 2004, 04:05 PM
get a d16 bottom end andd throw in a set of ls rods and for under 150 youv'e got a strong bottom end
[post=427821]Quoted post[/post]​

That's not worh it at all unless you can get the rods for free and have somebody do the machine work for dirt cheap. Beacause of the design of the LS rods, the weak point are the rod bolts, so it's a good idea to get ARP rod bolts. You are better off going with some brand new forged eagle/scat rods for $275-$300. If you are doing that you might at well get some forged pistons too.

Back