Big Turbo decision...need best advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by beerbongskickass+Dec 7 2004, 05:48 PM-->
hcivic.com
@Dec 7 2004, 04:05 PM
get a d16 bottom end andd throw in a set of ls rods and for under 150 youv'e got a strong bottom end
[post=427821]Quoted post[/post]​

That's not worh it at all unless you can get the rods for free and have somebody do the machine work for dirt cheap. Beacause of the design of the LS rods, the weak point are the rod bolts, so it's a good idea to get ARP rod bolts. You are better off going with some brand new forged eagle/scat rods for $275-$300. If you are doing that you might at well get some forged pistons too.
[post=427915]Quoted post[/post]​

that's why I voted for getting set up to boost and tune. Save your money. Boost it reliably. Then, when you want more and have the money, trade over to the B series.

Boosting and B swaps are both expensive. I'm not made of money. At least turbo parts can be bought one by one.

ok,so all in all...the engine has over 80,000 miles on it..it runs strong...pulls hard...i have vtec head i am going to put on soon...so if i Do very GOOD fuel management,and tuning...and run a turbo setup,this mini me setup could actually have a little bit of power?

see the thing is..i dont have the money,i can save up the money,its not like i have major bills...but its just the waiting period...cus im going to have to get mounts,linkage,axels,then the engine..then pay for shipping,then labor,etc....thats gonna cost me over 3,000...when i know i can turbo my mini me setup for almost half as less,and atleast be able to put out some power to the wheels...

still need opinions...i need someone to win me over on either side...

Aim for torque. My N/A prelude is considered "quick" in my area primarily because I posess more torque than most 4 cylinders can come up with. Torque is a function of cylinder pressure and stroke length, boosting your current engine will give you more than any B-Series could.

Also, with a turbo setup you get to choose your own price range, bling to broke. This will let you cheapen up certian areas of the project in the interest of time. A B-Series swap will set you back at least $2400. As a function of dollars/enjoyment, I think that the swap would be a foolish investment. I could have had an H22 dropped in for about $1000 more, but decided that the money could be better spent toward building up a good H23. With good rods, a nice flowing head, and lightweight pistons you could go far with that little D-Series.

Originally posted by [Freemantle]@Dec 8 2004, 01:52 PM
Aim for torque. My N/A prelude is considered "quick" in my area primarily because I posess more torque than most 4 cylinders can come up with. Torque is a function of cylinder pressure and stroke length, boosting your current engine will give you more than any B-Series could.

Also, with a turbo setup you get to choose your own price range, bling to broke. This will let you cheapen up certian areas of the project in the interest of time. A B-Series swap will set you back at least $2400. As a function of dollars/enjoyment, I think that the swap would be a foolish investment. I could have had an H22 dropped in for about $1000 more, but decided that the money could be better spent toward building up a good H23. With good rods, a nice flowing head, and lightweight pistons you could go far with that little D-Series.
[post=428534]Quoted post[/post]​

yea,i understand where your coming from...only one problem

i have a z6 head,and a b7 bottom end....they dont make anything for a b7 bottom end...which means my engine management,and fuel have to be top notch (which they will)....

only problem is...choosing what turbo to run,because i want atleast 130 to 140 lb ft of torque,and like 180 horsepower or so...thats my LOW goal...my high goal is 200 horsepower,and 160 lb ft of torque (h22 specs)..but i know that wont happen on that dx block...its just goals...but can anyone help me out,on what turbo to run with,and since i have a p28...what hondata system to run,s100 with boost or what...still uppin for opinions.

Originally posted by CRXSI91+Dec 8 2004, 03:58 PM-->
[Freemantle
,Dec 8 2004, 01:52 PM]Aim for torque. My N/A prelude is considered "quick" in my area primarily because I posess more torque than most 4 cylinders can come up with. Torque is a function of cylinder pressure and stroke length, boosting your current engine will give you more than any B-Series could.

Also, with a turbo setup you get to choose your own price range, bling to broke. This will let you cheapen up certian areas of the project in the interest of time.  A B-Series swap will set you back at least $2400. As a function of dollars/enjoyment, I think that the swap would be a foolish investment. I could have had an H22 dropped in for about $1000 more, but decided that the money could be better spent toward building up a good H23. With good rods, a nice flowing head, and lightweight pistons you could go far with that little D-Series.
[post=428534]Quoted post[/post]​

yea,i understand where your coming from...only one problem

i have a z6 head,and a b7 bottom end....they dont make anything for a b7 bottom end...which means my engine management,and fuel have to be top notch (which they will)....

only problem is...choosing what turbo to run,because i want atleast 130 to 140 lb ft of torque,and like 180 horsepower or so...thats my LOW goal...my high goal is 200 horsepower,and 160 lb ft of torque (h22 specs)..but i know that wont happen on that dx block...its just goals...but can anyone help me out,on what turbo to run with,and since i have a p28...what hondata system to run,s100 with boost or what...still uppin for opinions.
[post=428659]Quoted post[/post]​

You should be able to increase your torque by a good 50%. You have over a hundred stock I believe, so that would easily put you in the 160ish range.

Do yourself a favor. Read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. I've started reading it recently, and it puts a smile on my face. The book touches on complicated subjects and makes boost much easier to understand. My copy was about $35 on Ebay brand new. You could probably get at least half of that money back after reading the book if you decided not to keep it.

I truly believe that this book will give me a better understanding of the parts involved, and thereby make my setup cheaper from knowing what I want and need. I'll also be happier with the finished product. :p

ok,another factor just came into play...

a guy has a 94 dx coupe with a b16a2 in it..hes willing to part out the engine,and everything with it (basically a front clip) for 1800 if i pull the engine out myself..all it needs is a new starter (but im still gonna take a good look at it)...and it already has basic mods (intake,headers,etc.)...thats a pretty good deal,seeing as a2's go online for 1800 by themselves,(no linkage,mounts,etc.)...so does anyone here (being unbiased) think i should go for the A2 over a turbo d series setup?? i mean 1800 for a front clip is about as good as it gets...

YES!

Go for the B16. Why in the hell would you want to boost your d-series if you are so worried about blowing up the block, or head gaskets, or not even reaching 200whp, or the fact that there are no parts for your block....ect.? It's just an unwanted hassle. In my opinion, it would be a waste of money to turbo your current setup....sure, you can make some decent power on it, but what happens a year or so down the road when you get bored and want to turn up the boost? Nothing will happen, thats what. Because you can't. If you have this much trouble getting 200whp now, than you'll be pretty fucked later on if you want more.
Dont get me wrong, D engines can be pretty potent, and people like Beerbong have pretty fast turbo D engines, but I promise you if you were to take his turbo kit and install it on a B16, the B-setup would be tons faster, with way more potential for power later on if need be.
I'd say just to swap in the B16 if you can get it (and it checks out), drive it for a bit (go smoke that probe that owned you), and start buying turbo parts one by one. A B16A2 will usually put out around 150whp stock with I/E. Slap a T3/T4 or a disco potato turbo on that, run low boost 6-8psi, get the fuel right, and hit well over 200whp any day of the week with no worries of shit blowing up. Later on, throw in some forged internals, cams and such, and turn up the boost. Before you know it you'll be hitting over 300-400whp. Lets see your current setup do that.

the B16 does sound like a good deal, if you;re into the torqueless wonder that is...

pull a compression test to make sure its not fucked...
and if he says it won;t start cause it needs a starter i wouldn;t give him shit till i heard it running...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 10 2004, 02:32 PM
in a crx? no.
[post=430099]Quoted post[/post]​

true, there always is the OBD conflict + hydro to cable tranny conversion to deal with. Too bad it wasn't a first gen B16A.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 10 2004, 02:32 PM
in a crx? no.
[post=430099]Quoted post[/post]​

i think hes talking about 200 whp horsepower off a dx motor,in a crx...anyone can put a b16a2 in a crx with no problem...my car is already wired for obd1...all i would have to do,is bolt up a cable tranny...

Back