Big wheel y0!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Just wondering, are there 14" or 15" steelies that will fit our car? Also, what are the tallest low rolling resistance tires that will fit those steelies without rubbing. car is a CRX with about 1" of gap on the stock wheels.

Integra or civic steelies will fit the CRX.
There some VW 15" steelies that will fit too.. don't know what car they're from.

Just remember bigger wheels = smaller tires. A 15" wheel on a CRX is not going to leave you much room for rubber.

w3rd

The 7G Civic came with 15 inch steelies at 4x100. Just run the stock tires- I think they were 195/60/15 on those Civics- and you'll have a taller tire that won't be TOO big.

Quoted post[/post]]
w3rd

The 7G Civic came with 15 inch steelies at 4x100. Just run the stock tires- I think they were 195/60/15 on those Civics- and you'll have a taller tire that won't be TOO big.

werd. I had a set of 7th gen steelies on the del sol for a while.... so did bill on his hatch.

Now that think of it a guy back in the guard had a CRX with stock integra wheels and it looked mad rally edition, your call on coolness I guess.

I guess I will go out and look for 7G steelies. Thanks!

I'm not worried about the looks, I just need good "highway" wheels because my 5th gear is short(DOHC ZC transmission...along with a Si FD); gas prices are killing me.

Quoted post[/post]]
werd. I had a set of 7th gen steelies on the del sol for a while.... so did bill on his hatch.

I was hunting for a set for quite a while to put on Katie's car. People kept selling them for $100-200 when the 7G first came out! Maybe I can find another set now.

Quoted post[/post]]
I guess I will go out and look for 7G steelies. Thanks!

I'm not worried about the looks, I just need good "highway" wheels because my 5th gear is short(DOHC ZC transmission...along with a Si FD); gas prices are killing me.

If you're worried about gas mileage, take into account the weight of the wheels too. The 7G Civic steelies weigh 22 pounds each- yeah, just the wheel. 14s are 18 pounds, and 13s are 15 pounds. The gearing change will probably matter more than the wheel weight though, especially for cruising.

If you are just looking for a larger rolling diameter why not keep the wheels you have and go with a taller tire? You can find pretty much any size tire you need to fit that wheel, just do some measurements of your wheel well then run some numbers as far as tire sizes on each wheel.

Things to keep in mind;

195/60R15 = 195mm width, 60% of the width is the height of the sidewall. 1" equals 25.4mm and you will have that measurement twice in your diameter. To find the overall diameter of the tire;

[2(195x.60)]/25.4 + 15 = overall rolling diameter (for this tire)

Also keep in mind that tire sizes are not exact, so leave a little bit of wiggle room with your measurements.

Obviously just substitute the numbers with what your working with. If you post the largest diameter than your wheel well will take I'll even tell you tire options for different wheel sizes. Assuming you need my help of course :cool:

As far as wheel weights are concerned, a heavier wheel should hurt you a little bit around town, but I would expect it to actually be helpful going down the highway as it will have more rotational inertia in the wheel itself to counteract the drag and whatnot from the road/wheel hub/etc. Its a lot easier to stop a car tire from rolling than a 33" mud tire.

Edit: If you are looking for a certain highway RPM then its not too hard to figure out which tire will give that to you.

I just need another front set for highway(I travel alot to other cities like Charlotte and Wilmington). I'm planning on using lower profile tires for my daily/race wheels(195/45 Toyo Proxes T1-R on 14" Miata wheels) specifically to (numerically)increase my FD, but I don't want to run high rpms on the highway(I tend to cruise alot around 80mph; having a short 5th doesn't help). 5th gear is .878 and FD is 4.25
I'd have to do some measuring to figure out how large of a tire I can run. I might even keep my car at stock height just so I can run large tires on the highway.

try this!

plug in your tranny specs, general speed you travel at, and tire diameter. this should give you a basic idea of what rpms you will be running and the amount of gas you'll spend. just an idea. good luck.
Ryan

I've been using the Quaife calculator, thanks though.

Back