Big wheels

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fast4uB20

I have a 93 civic sedan with 18 inch Racing Hart Z5000 with 205/35 tires. I have a problem because only one person can sit in the back without the tires rubbing. Also large bumps and hole in the road casue bottoming out. I know 18s are really too big but the car has the stock engine right now so speed is not going to be increased enough just by putting smaller rims on. My question is what exactly do i need to do in order to stop this? I am pretty sure that just putting stiffer shocks than the factories on it no would stop it. What shocks does anybody recommend, and what shocks could i use from other hondas/acuras that would just bolt up?

you need stiffer springs and better suspension man.

Those rims are huge. My blingity 17s rub around corners, and when I put people in the car, so I can only imagine how bad it is with 18s. Consider downsizing and selling those rims to someone with an Accord or something.

I'm not some kind of little blinging "rice boy" that only cares about how the car looks. That's not me at all, i kind of figured i would get these responses so they are well deserved i guess. It's just that i bought the car with these rims already on it. The car is white with the rims being white also, this car is not some kind of fag car with chrome 18s and a big ass 2 foot spoiler on the trunk. The guy that had the car before me didn't car about speed, but he fixed up the car with pretty good taste. I'll get a picture on here soon so everyone can see. I would like to do an engine swap to a b18b1 but dont really have the money right now, and that's why i'm just trying to leave these rims on for the time being and solve this problem.

get some coilovers. theyre stiff and you can raise your car up a little with them. good brands i know of are ground control, tein, neuspeed, h&r.

no guarantee that it wont still rub but it should make a big differenece if you are using stock springs right now.

First, I don't know of many hardcore ricers in my area that run 18s - they can't afford them. They're all running cheap-ass stock wheels without covers, or two aftermarket wheels in the rear and two stockers in the front.

As for the rubbing, I've got 18s on my wife's CRX with 2.5" of drop in front and 2.75" in the back. All I did to eliminate rubbing was to trim the offending sheet metal from the fender lip with an air grinder fitted with a thin cutting wheel. I then masked the area and sprayed the bare metal with black rattle can primer. The primered areas can't be seen with the car on the ground.

One problem with your 18s is most likely width and offset. We had 17" Racing Hart C2 Evos on the car with 205/40 Nitto 450s. The Racing Harts are 7.5" wide with 40 or 42 mm offset. Our 18s are 7" wide with 40 mm offset - I would have preferred 42 or even 45 mm of offset, but couldn't find them. That extra half an inch on the RHs made them rub more than the 18s!

Good luck,

Brian

First, I don't know of many hardcore ricers in my area that run 18s - they can't afford them. They're all running cheap-ass stock wheels without covers, or two aftermarket wheels in the rear and two stockers in the front.
---------
is there something wrong with steelies or gsr wheels?
i know twisties and shamrocks/fat fives are pretty dope
personaly i have black 13" steelies and i like them, the only thing id swap them out for are 15" black slipstreams but speed before cool looks, my shamrocks and sparco seats will come later
also toyo ra1 tirs i will eb putting on my 13" steelies

NOTE: Reasons for warnings:

1. making stupid, useless, offtopic, out-of-forum posts- outside of the members lounge

This topic has gone off topic. If you wish to continue the original topic, please start a new thread. This topic has been closed.

:locked:

Thank you, the moderating team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back