bike hits dear, dear blows everywhere

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
"taken from max sux website"

NTSB style report;
Sat 13th
4;15 PM
Aprox 1/8th mile south of the Michigan bluff / mosquito ridge intersection

What I remember:
It was a great ride and Ron, Bill and I were headed home. I saw a flash of something to my right, ground-sky-pain-------------I am on the side of the road on my hands and knees trying to remember how to breathe! Ron is next to me yelling “don’t move†I respond with some thing macho like “F**K that†I get my toes under me and stand up! I do an inventory feet ok, legs ok, knees---left one burns, road rash for sure, left hand swelling have to get the glove off now! Well not to bad, I can walk and stuff so I head for the bike (about 60 feet away). Bill asks me what happened. I said “I hit something! Ron said it was a deer! Bill and I never saw it! About this time a nice guy in a small truck stopped and helped us get the Bandit back on its wheels. I hit the starter, after a few moments the bike lit up. I looked over the bike and it seemed rideable the guys made sure that I got home all right. I went in the house and took 6 Advil and collapsed.

After looking at all the evidence here’s what happened
A doe with 2 fawns was feeding in a wide spot on the right side of the road. As I went by at about 50 MPH the doe panicked and did the “run to daylight†thing. The doe hit the front of the bike slamming the front wheel hard left. The left handlebar hit my left hand so hard that it bruised the whole hand and cracked a bone! The right handlebar was pulled from my grip forcing a momentarily application of full throttle. All this handlebar action threw me off the right side of the bike. I hit the ground hard enough to crack 2 ribs then did a lot of flopping around.
Back to the front of the bike. The deer has been jammed between the front fender and the faring and locked up the front wheel! After about 30 feet the bike fell on the right side the deer came out of the front of the bike and ran away! The bike stopped about 6 inches from falling off a small cliff! There was Bambi shit everywhere! All down the side of the bike, me and there was a 30 foot plume of poo on the road with a 6 foot skid mark at the start! When we were walking up the road to get the bike we saw marks on the left side of the road after a short search we could see the deer about 50 feet down the hill---dead.

The bike is in much better shape than it has any right to be! The fairing and front fender are toast. The forks may be bent ( the lack of an opposable thumb has keep me from doing a teardown to see) the NRC cover on the right side is seriously ground away but still oil tight and doing its job. I can not recommend NRC covers enough, they are great! The Hole Shot pipe is scratched pretty good.

Gear wise:
I had on a Motoboss winter jacket. The whole right arm is shredded but no rash on my arm. The left arm had a small hole in it and I have a matching rash near the elbow (the padding moved out of the way and let this happen). My HJC helmet looks like hell. The shield came off and went the way of Jimmy Hoffa, but no damage to the head! Motoboss boots still working after 2 major get offs, feet are fine. I have a bruise from my right hip all the way to the knee. It’s a good one! It made the “wall o pain†down at the local bike shop

Here are a few pics
http://my-rides.com/index.php?pic=15_1
http://my-rides.com/index.php?pic=15_3
http://my-rides.com/index.php?pic=15_4
This is my favorite, Bambi slayer saying “who’s next?â€
http://my-rides.com/index.php?pic=15_2

What can I say, hitting a deer is a little like getting hit by lighting, it just happens.
Wear the gear folks

Steve

dear? lol my friend hit a big deer in his saturn, took out the whole side, blew out his window and my brother had shit on his lap in the back seat.

the last deer i hit shit on my door :(

My buddy hit a deer on my banshee. That was pretty cool too. But no shit just broke the deer's legs!

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 3 2004, 10:09 AM
why do deer shit liek that?
[post=425740]Quoted post[/post]​

"guy from the max suk board" You busted the gut sack of that deer. Thats what all that yellowish/brown stuff is on your bike. I'll bet it smells pretty nasty too?

Why do Deers always head for light and then stop, such as when it runs in the middle of the road, turns its head in your direction and freezes stiff as a board!

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Dec 4 2004, 10:16 AM
Why do Deers always head for light and then stop, such as when it runs in the middle of the road, turns its head in your direction and freezes stiff as a board!
[post=426248]Quoted post[/post]​

Picture it being a nice dark night, you're sitting there eating grass when next thing you know something is coming so you start to run across the road only to see SUPER BIRGHT ASS LIGHTS shining in your dark ajusted eyes.

YOU CAN"T SEE SHIT!

most people wont run blind.

Posted on the motorcycle boards pretty often is if you know the road well and know the road is not going to turn and you happen to see deer TURN YOUR LIGHTS OFF.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Dec 4 2004, 02:25 PM
Posted on the motorcycle boards pretty often is if you know the road well and know the road is not going to turn and you happen to see deer TURN YOUR LIGHTS OFF.

Never thought about that before, but makes sense. Have to try that sometime, since living out here in bumfuck King George, VA, I see deer practically everynight.

Originally posted by CRXSI91@Dec 15 2004, 02:27 PM
LOL @ turn your lights off....lol yea,and run the risk of getting fucked up even worse.
[post=432637]Quoted post[/post]​

Not all people but SOME people can drive on a stright road and look away for 3 secs
I wouldnt turn the lights off in the middle of a turn but if you have 1/4 mile of stright road in front of you why not?

Back