Bike rack for trucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jeef

NO MA'AM
VIP
The gf and I just got some mountain bikes and I am looking for a better way to carry them around in the truck. Right now I have two blockheads mounted to a 2x6 that sits in the slots in the bedliner for a 2x whatever. This is a solid setup the bikes don't go anywhere but having to keep taking the front wheel on and off just to go a few miles can be a pain in the ass. I would just lay them down in the bed but I did this in my father's pickup when I was younger and the rear derialer (sp) got bent. Are there any racks that mount to the side of the bed that would grab the frame so I wouldn't have to keep taking the tire off? If you have truck and bikes what do you use to move them around?

Thanks for the link I might look into the RecRac. I don't have a hitch right now but I need to buy one. I kind of don't like the idea of the bikes hanging off of the back of my truck.

I have a decent bike, nothing special. I got a GT Avalanche 3.0. It has the same frame as the higher model Avalanches but the components aren't as good. For now its good. The guy at the bike shop was saying its a good starter bike since it has a good frame and decent components.
Asmall how do you recommend cleaning the cassettes, chains, and the rest of the bike?

for the frame, I just use a damp rag and if needed, some car detailer spray (what ever that stuff is called) For the chain, its a little more involoved. First you need to clean the old grease from the chain. To do this, use a simple green type stuff (I use Pedro's Bio cleaner, all purpose degrease, sold at many bike stores) I spray the chain down while wipeing the excess with a old towel, until the chain sounds like its metal on metal and is coming out pretty clean. Wipe the cassete while your at it. Now, use some teflon chain lube made just for bike chains, and put a drop on ever single round housing on each link. Slowly (so excess doesn't go anywhere) spin the chain a few times to get the lube to work into the chain. With a lint free cloth wipe the chain to remove any excess. I also put a little lube on the axis of the rear derailer, however, I assume that they are probably sealed, making it pointless. I cycle through all the gears, give it one more wipe down, and call it good.

However, the grease the comes prepacked in new chains is much better then anything you can buy from the store, so unless you get the chain pretty dirty, for the first few hundred miles, keep it in there.

i put a hitch on my civic for the bike rack reason. and it gives people something to rip on me about. quick disconnect front wheels? you can get a mount that is basically the axel of the wheel and you can clamp the forks to the mount and the bike will stand up in the bed. good way to go, but taking off the front wheel sucks sometimes. take the wheel off a couple times before you hit the road just so you're familiar with it. i.e. disc brakes are hard to get the rotor back in the pads sometimes

I have been taking the front wheels off its not hard to do just kind of a pain to have to do it a couple times and put them back on a couple times just to go down the road.

Back