Bike work pics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

I got one of those power meters for christmas this year. Installed it on the GPZ, but since the GPZ wasn't doing anything, I moved it to the ZX12r.

I did a usability test on it, just velcroed to the handlebars. It turns out, it's not too usable. It gives me a clock (I have one of those) lots of temperature readouts (Got those too) and a battery meter. (Don't have one of those, but all I need to know is "working" and "Fuck this is going to cost a lot")

So I decided to wire it in correctly and mount it to the side. I checked the meter mostly when I was starting the bike and giving it a pre-flight inspection. The other pic is the magnets I installed under the plastic gas tank cover to hold my magnetic tank bag. Took rare earth magnets from a few old harddrives and glued them in place, then glued rubber pads over them so they didn't mess up the tank underneath.

In one of these pictures, you get an idea of what it's like to work on this bike.

Attachments

• 0505080002.jpg
    0505080002.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 0505080006.jpg
    0505080006.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 0505080007.jpg
    0505080007.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 0505080008.jpg
    0505080008.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 0505080009.jpg
    0505080009.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 261
That's not usually the view that they get :)

All of that stuff on the stool, except my multimeter, get stuffed strategically into that little hole. It's like building a ship in the bottle.

All of the wiring for the gauge is in the frame. Nothing pokes out except the bit of loom that you see there. Even the sensor is internal.

Yeah, saw the steampunk bikes. Next , supposedly some company is coming up with a Sirius / GPS combo for bikes. I have a radar detector install to do too.

Wouldn't that be kind of hazardous, reading a GPS unit while riding? I mean unless it's a helmet mounted HUD or something.

Wouldn't that be kind of hazardous, reading a GPS unit while riding? I mean unless it's a helmet mounted HUD or something.

Or if somehow it would send the directions via bluetooth or something to a small speaker in your helmet...

Or if somehow it would send the directions via bluetooth or something to a small speaker in your helmet...

They have bluetooth equipped helmets for mp3/cell phone's now. A bit pricey though. I was going to buy one when I had my gsxr1000 but I just bought the one that matched the bike. :)

Two things:

Items on the left aren't that all too tough to use while riding. Just, as usual, be careful that you're not near traffic and that you're attentive to the road.

your common tourer uses a map holder attached to the gas tank, and more often than not they use a raw lat/lon type of GPS and a compass to navigate. The key is pulling over.

I currently use my phone for GPS directions and navigation, and it's not too bad. I simply "pull over" to use it, that's all :)

And Walter: What's going on !?

Back