Bizarre IACV Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

murray195

Hello all, first off here's some info on my 1989 CRX DX:
B16a Swap
PW0 ECU
Auto to manual conversion
Original DX harness was un-loomed and mpfi wiring was added in and re-wrapped
No A/C, no power steering

At first the car wouldn't start, but the ECU showed code 14, so I unplugged it and got the following voltage readings with the ignition in the run position:
Blue/Yellow: -0.16v
Black/Yellow: 0v
There was an unused plug in the dx harness with a black/yellow wire, so I un-pinned it and re-pinned into the iacv plug in place of the original black/yellow wire. When I tried to start it, it sounded like the car wanted to go but was out of gas (has 1/2 a tank).
The blue/yellow wire is a variable ground and becomes more "grounded" when accessories turn on such as the rad cooling fan, a/c, etc. Electrical changes can happen faster than mechanical, so by the time your charging system experiences more load, the ECU has already compensated by opening up the IACV.
Next, I un-pinned the blue/yellow wire and pinned in a wire and directly grounded it to the chassis. Yay, it started! But it's still throwing code 14 and the Idle surges up and down like crazy. People told me that once the car was running, I could unplug the IACV and manually set the idle with the throttle body screw and run without an IACV... it didn't seem right to me, but I tried it anyway. The car immediately shut down.
So, I need to know if the voltage I was receiving from the blue/yellow wire is correct and if I can just use any 12v black/yellow wire. If I check for voltage between A11 and a 12v source on Plug A such as an injector wire, I get 12v.

Last edited:
Back