Black smoke

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sohcslammer

So I bought a 99 SI yesterday, it's super clean, 4 wheel drilled and slotted brakes, bronze rotas, Ground Controls, and a CAI, otherwise it's stock. So yesterday when I was driving it around I got on it and when VTEC kicked in a pretty big black cloud shot out the back. I haven't been able to romp on it any more to check it out but I was wondering a few things....

#1) Since the car was a one owner car and I KNOW the GIRL drove it really nice, could it just be that she hasn't hit VTEC lately and that it's just blowing out carbon?

#2) If it was a head gasket wouldn't it blow out black smoke all the time?

#3) Could the cat be involved at all? It throws a CEL for the cat sometimes.

#4) What are possible reasons for black smoke?

I didn't actually see the smoke myself, my buddy was driving behind me so I don't know how much it was, or how black it was. This weekend I am replacing the whole exhaust system from the header (exhaust manifold) back. Possible fix? After re-reading this post I realized how much I hate posts like this because no-one will know for sure, but maybe someone has some guesses????

Thanx guys. B)

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Oct 5 2004, 11:23 AM
So I bought a 99 SI yesterday, it's super clean, 4 wheel drilled and slotted brakes, bronze rotas, Ground Controls, and a CAI, otherwise it's stock. So yesterday when I was driving it around I got on it and when VTEC kicked in a pretty big black cloud shot out the back. I haven't been able to romp on it any more to check it out but I was wondering a few things....

#1) Since the car was a one owner car and I KNOW the GIRL drove it really nice, could it just be that she hasn't hit VTEC lately and that it's just blowing out carbon?

#2) If it was a head gasket wouldn't it blow out black smoke all the time?

#3) Could the cat be involved at all? It throws a CEL for the cat sometimes.

#4) What are possible reasons for black smoke?

I didn't actually see the smoke myself, my buddy was driving behind me so I don't know how much it was, or how black it was. This weekend I am replacing the whole exhaust system from the header (exhaust manifold) back. Possible fix? After re-reading this post I realized how much I hate posts like this because no-one will know for sure, but maybe someone has some guesses????

Thanx guys. B)
[post=398532]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, Honda's are designed to run rich when in Vtec . . . so that could be the reason for some of the black smoke.

After my swap was finished, i took the car for a lil spin to see what it could do. My mom of all people was following me on her way home, and she said that when i REALLY got on it, black smoke was coming out the tail pipe. Anyways, the car runs fine and was able to hit mid 15's with me driving at the track.

point is, this may be normal, it just depends on HOW much black smoke is comming out the back. Even My old D16Z6 would shoot out a lil black smoke.

I figure the easiest fix for this (at least in my case) would be to lean out my a/f ratio a bit and see what happends with a vafc.

i think you'd have to do a leak down compression check just incase. other than that my y8 blew black/grayish smoke sometimes too.

I have a 2000 SI, it shoots out a little puff of smoke when I got on it and its stock! I guess its normal for VTECs to do that.

Originally posted by bluebeast@Oct 5 2004, 09:37 PM
I have a 2000 SI, it shoots out a little puff of smoke when I got on it and its stock! I guess its normal for VTECs to do that.
[post=398834]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly - i highly doubt its anything to worry about, since the exhaust tip of EVERY b-series honda is mad dark.

Its just the way the ECU is designed to work.

Thanx for the responses guys.... I know a little smoke is normal, but this is like a smoke screen. I changed out my plugs and wires and when I did I noticed that one of the plugs was covered in oil. Hence my problem. I have since come to understand that there are small rounds gaskets inbetween the valve cover and the head that keep oil out of your spark plugs. I think this is my problem... I'll let ya know.
:thumbsup:

my engine only blows black smoke in really high rpm when im shifting

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Oct 8 2004, 11:26 AM
Thanx for the responses guys.... I know a little smoke is normal, but this is like a smoke screen. I changed out my plugs and wires and when I did I noticed that one of the plugs was covered in oil. Hence my problem. I have since come to understand that there are small rounds gaskets inbetween the valve cover and the head that keep oil out of your spark plugs. I think this is my problem... I'll let ya know.
:thumbsup:
[post=400055]Quoted post[/post]​

Those things suck - better replace them while your in there with the VC off . . . oh ya, and dont be like me and forget to pickup a Bseries VCGasket BEFORE you take ur motor apart :lol:

Back