Blanco, get in here!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Exodus

Alright, here's my current situation:

90 CRX Si, D16A6, stock

I'm procuring a D15B7 block with a Z6 head, pnp'd, 3 angle valve job, no cam\valves\intake mani (timing belt snapped). It has also an oil pump modified per ENDYN's suggestions and a water pump modified in the same way for an A6 on it (both are A6).

With that, I'm getting a P06 ECU, I can get a P06 dizzy with it as well if it will function properly with the head. The ECU will be most likely tuned on Hondata S2-300. I'll get the correct dizzy if necessary.

I also may be procuring a fairly fresh Y8 head, with an A6 dizzy, Gude Cam, and AEM cam gear. It will also have a Y8 intake manifold, I can't remember which throttle body, I want to say B18B1.

The Z6 head was also milled .005

The Y8 head is stock except for the cam and gear.

I have also a ported Z6 intake mani as an option over the Y8.

The current setups I have in mind all yield at least 10.2+:1 CR's, and go as high as 11.5:1

- D16A6 block.. hands down
- B7 pistons yield more compression than the A6 models (valve relief work for VTEC valves? Any other work to mate to A6 rods?). A6's yield less compression, but would certainly work perfectly.
- A6 reworked pumps
- The Y8 head yields more compression, torque, atomization of fuel and low end power, as does it's manifold. It has also a cam and cam gear in it.
- The Z6 head has port work, but it lost a timing belt and I'm not sure if just replacing the valves, cam and gear will make it like new. It was also milled 5 thousandths to seal properly (I'd make sure to mill the dowels, no worries). It can also accept the Y8 manifold, but may work very well with the Z6 ported intake I have.

-Can I use the Y8 Gude cam\AEM cam gear with the Z6 head? What about the valves from the Y8?
-What should I have checked on the head? Or will replaced parts fix it and likely will avoid any extra machine with? If the Y8 parts fit and the ported Z6 head with the valve seat job works better than a stock Y8 head with that cam and gear, I'll go with that. Otherwise, I'm considering using ONLY the Y8 head, as it was listed above, with the Y8 manifold of course
- PM3 or PM6 pistons in this block?
- Will the P06 dizzy work with the Z6 head, or will ignition potential be limited on a VTEC head coming from a weaker engine?

I'll likely be running a DC header on this, probably 4-2-1, already have a 2.5" exhaust and AEM cold air intake.

Dyno will be a WOT Inertia dyno from DynoJet, tuned by Colletti Motorsports (spear heading the Honda revolution in racing for 20 some odd years, knows B-D series like his own kids).

Hondata will most likely be used.

This setup is geared for the following:
- Economy, makes power because it's tweaked and tuned well, which lends itself weel to my next goal
- MPGs, baby
- Followed by, reliability. I want to know where I can rev it, what it can and can't do, etc.. I want it to last like any Honda should
- I want in the ballpark of 130 at the tires before I get extensively into upgrading the vehicle.
- Si L3 trans will be used
- I can probably throw a 255 Walboro in as much as I'd rather not, but if it's needed, yeah..
- Si CRX injectors and resistor baby
- Clean, reliable, long lasting, works efficiently and well, makes a shit load of smooth torque from the low end to when it's revs are beginning to max out

Out of all of the stuff I listed, etc... what will work together, what would you guys do or not do?

I'm ESPECIALLY hunting for my boy Blanco, his brain are been 1337 h4x

Oh yeah, with a constantly above-legal-limit ethanol content, I only use Shell's Vpower, it typically tesed from 12-14% content (10% being EPA regulated) all around my city and it's all I put in my car.

PM3s in D16 block with VTEC head will not work. Transzex tried that and his pistons ended up in his oil pan. You're better off looking for PM7/P29s

Last edited:
Yup, piston/valve contact. The reliefs are in the wrong area for the VTEC head. The PM7/P29s are able to get away with it because of the lower compression height. You're right about tall domes, which is why I'd recommend PDN pistons from the GX. You'd have to use milled LS rods(milled BE only, the PDN uses the 21mm pin like the B-series). It still has a dome, but not as large as the P29/PM7, and will bump compression up around 12:1. The GX's had Y8 heads so the relief is perfect for VTEC heads.

Back