1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blew a JDM D15B swapping another one in

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by Hoff, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Hoff

Hoff New Member

Hello,

I have a 93 del sol with a JDM D15B and a T3 turbocharger. I just shot a rod thru the block due to a loss of oil pressure so I'm picking up another JDM longblock saturday.

This is my first time swapping a motor myself and I signed up here for help.

So far I have removed the turbo, manifold, ewg, wire harness, vacuum lines, grounds, etc

I'm pretty sure all I have left is the fuel line, axels, and shifter...

Does anyone know if I'll need special tools at this point?

I plan on swapping my trans, clutch, starter and injectors over to the new motor.

eventually I will do the timing belt, head bolts, pumps etc.

2. ZCpowerdSI

ZCpowerdSI New Member

The only special tool you need is a clutch alignment tool (but you can use other things)

Its just hard to get the pin out of the shifter linkage in most cases (punch and hammer)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  3. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

You won't really need anything special for the rest of it besides (as stated above) a clutch alignment tool, and I'd also recommend a 1/4" drive extension for removing what we call the "bitch pin". It holds the linkage onto the transmission, and it's a real PITA. 1/4" drive fits in there perfectly, then just grab a hammer and hammer on the end of it, should come out with some abuse.

4. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

To qoute klyph "honda engines are glued in, hook it up to the hoist and rip it out" In all seriousness nothing special is needed, air tools make things a lot easier, and if you get a new clutch they usually come with an alignment tool.

5. ZCpowerdSI

ZCpowerdSI New Member

The reason i didnt say a 1/4" drive extension is because you can f**k them up. I've done it twice. lol

6. Hoff

Hoff New Member

Ok so i was going to go to jdmenginezone and now they sold the motor that I had on hold... I'm going to go to jdmenginedepot and look around. they have 10 d15b's in stock and they said I can inspect the motor anyhow i want for as long as I want before i buy it. they only want 400 too since jdmenginezone was cheaper.

I'm nervious because they have so many bad reviews online, but they do seem to sell TONS of motors. I gotta figure a few might be bad and people are pissed. It seems hit or miss...

JDMenginezone offered me a jdm d16a instead of a jdm d15b for the same price. I'm hesitant because I dont want to run into any compatibility issues with my current setup.

Any advice? I'm supposed to go tomorrow morning.

7. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

Never heard of them, everyone here will tell you to go to hmotors, they are a really good company to do business with.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted