blew my motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90 accord

Chicks dig the box
VIP
me and rick (phoenixb16aguy) had just picked up my old lady, in route to "thunderbird mountain" about 9-10 or so miles away. we(my eg, his ef, both b16 powered) were making some vtec noise, as he said.. all of a sudden(ay about 6500 rpm, about to shift), BOOM. sounds like a binch of tiny little rocks bouncing around in my engine bay. I hit the gas, nothing happens. i look in the rear view mirror, i see nothing but white.. so i pull over, and notice i've left quite a trail of oil.. so we figure out that i broke a rod, and poked a hole in the block.

we found a guy selling a jdm b16a longblock, minus the head.. so i bought it for $100.. turns out that it has basically brand spanking new p73 AO pistons in it. swapped the usdm b16a3 head. tomorrow, (tuesday) we well be pulling the blown one, and dropping in the new one! should be a fun day!

pics to come shortly..

here are the pics..

we had a lil nascar pit action going on.. (my buddy tony.. "sohcbuilder" ricks older brother)
gallery_29_87_1092710862.jpg

hole

gallery_29_87_1092710757.jpg

hole close

gallery_29_87_1092710878.jpg

head off

gallery_29_87_1092710897.jpg

can you spot the bad cylender in these next two pics?
top left is #1, top right is #2, bottom left is #3, bottom right is #4

gallery_29_87_1092710915.jpg

gallery_29_87_1092710968.jpg

the new block with some shiney "almost" new type-r pistons
(same order as above)
gallery_29_87_1092710991.jpg

gallery_29_87_1092711022.jpg

and my nice and messy garage :)
(white poles are from the nascar "style" tent!)

gallery_29_87_1092711053.jpg

holy shite. Did you buy that block from a blind guy? What a deal. Good luck with everything and hope everything goes smoothly.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Aug 16 2004, 10:02 PM
Lucky bastard, I want a fuckin engine puller!!! :worthy:

Looks good
[post=377730]Quoted post[/post]​

It could also be used to put engine's IN. :p

Nice pick-up on the block. :thumbsup:

looks like you live in one of those neighborhoods where people will drive by and stop and stare at you guys like " wtf are they doing?".

Yup, it's gonna happen to all of us at leat once.

I'm waitin for my 18 year old A to finally kick it, but that cast iron block won't die.

Originally posted by bklyneg@Aug 16 2004, 10:17 PM
looks like you live in one of those neighborhoods where people will drive by and stop and stare at you guys like " wtf are they doing?".
[post=377743]Quoted post[/post]​

not really, just the people that live across the street.. fucking wierdo's..

i'm not really sure, but i think i spun a bearing.. but i had just gotten an oil change about 500 miles ago..

it was wierd though, because about 2 miles earlier, me and rick were flat out dragging.. why did it go then, versus when i was taking it easy?

P.S... my old lady(kristie) is the shit!!

I know how you feel brotha. :bumpschestwithfistholdsoutpeacesign:

I will be swapping out the LS with the hole in it on Wed and putting the new LS in on Thur.

Props on the find. :thumbsup:

Was it not making any kind of rattling noise before it let go? That would indicate a spun rod bearing leading to the thrown rod.

Could have been an oil pump failure, also. You remeber the oil light coming on at all? All it takes is about 5 seconds from then the light comes on to when the rod is poking out the side of the block.

damn yo! you could have made a bigger hole than that, c'mon :) sucks to hear, but what a fucking steal on the block, good work!

Ouch. Looks like you're good to go with a nice replacement though! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Aug 17 2004, 04:12 AM
Was it not making any kind of rattling noise before it let go? That would indicate a spun rod bearing leading to the thrown rod.

Could have been an oil pump failure, also. You remeber the oil light coming on at all? All it takes is about 5 seconds from then the light comes on to when the rod is poking out the side of the block.
[post=377903]Quoted post[/post]​

didnt hear a damn thing that led me to think anything like that was goling to happen. the oil light didnt come on at all. thats why it was so wierd.. all of a sudden, boom..

yeah, i was hoping for a bigger hole too, but it had those support looking things on either side.

i just wish i had more time to build it up before i have to drop it in <_<

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy@Aug 17 2004, 10:04 PM
well .. what happened was.. jamie was being black and bumpin his 12 and of course i was jammin the radio commercial cause my cd player sux ass.. anyways we are at a light and both take off slow ... jamie punches it in first see's that im not gettting on it then jamie lets off and i punch it in second and as i go past jamie he gets on it a lil and i hear baaaaaaaaaammmmmmmm(vtec)MMMMMMMMMM PRDDDDDDDDDDDCLUNKCLANKtrdddddddddddddpopboomthen more trdddddddddddd and look back and see the biggest ball of smoke EVER.. and alot of smoke coming out of the exhaust..this all could have been avoided if jamie bought a better block rather than a 12" sub-boofer and a amp...

lol just messing, it was bound to happen anyways this block he has now is alot stronger and "sqweak" gave you a hell of a deal on it .. rebuilt b1a with usdm type-r piston for a hundred bux... sounds almost to good to be true !!
[post=378320]Quoted post[/post]​

thats about right.. <_<

your just jealous that my cd player works.. even if my faceplate is being held on by a rubber band :D :lol: :ph34r:

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy@Aug 17 2004, 10:04 PM
rebuilt b1a with usdm type-r piston for a hundred bux... sounds almost to good to be true !!
[post=378320]Quoted post[/post]​

Anyone else care to wager on how long this "rebuilt" motor lasts? I'm betting the rings in it are shot before the car ever sees asphalt again.

I spun a rod bearing on my ls a while back. NO oil light or anything, just an amazing amount of knocking. I actually drove on it for like five minutes, because I was out in the middle of nowhere (between lompoc and buellton on hwy 1 for all you cali people that like to drive :) ). No marks on the crank at all either, just the rod got all scuffed up. I got really lucky.

Glad to see you got a replacement so quick.

yeah, i lucked out alright..

why are you being such a dickhead lately jody? i mean, christ.. you dont have to be so damn critical about everything. are you trying to be like ji?

you might want to consider a thin head gasket to bring your CR back up... thats the only drawback to using the ITR pistons in a b16 block, the CC of the domes are smaller.

yeah, i put in a 2 layer, ratehr then the oem 3 layer.. according to c-speed, i have about 9.97:1 cr now.. it was 9.7:1 with the oem 3 layer in there. but i think this should be good for future boosting, assuming that everything holds up good!

Back