Blew up d16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PHMTECK

hey everyone,

I have spit a rod out the side of my 94 d16z6 civic. It bent a couple intake valves also.

I have a d16y7 available (98 civic). Can I use the y7 bottom end and bolt the z6 head to it without a problem?Will everything else work also?(tranny,ecu,) Would this be a form of a mini me? Or am I better off going another route. Im not looking for anything spectacular just a decent running engine cheap. I haven't had very much luck finding a low price d16z6 bottom end. Thats why I would like to use what i have available.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
PHMTECK

I thought all D-series from 92-00, maybe more, were interchangeable, so it should work. But isn't the d16y series blocks more notorious for oil related issues? -Gary

yes the y series block have very bad oiling systems. well desries for that matter ll do compared to b series. yes the head will go just fine.

Thanks for the input guys,

I plan on fixing the head. other then the two intake valves the rest look good.

hey Blanco, Do you have a line on a z6 block? I've been looking all over Indiana for one with no luck.

What are the oiling differences in the y6 compared to the other blocks?

Thanks
PHMTECK

Hey Blanco,

Thanks for being helpful. If you happen to see a heavenly deal on a d16z6 can you please clue me in on it?

PHMTECK

It would be swap blocks or maybe do the porting to the oil pump to help the flow like you were saying on another post. What would you say on that one Blanco. That might help save the time of looking for a block or well atleast save the motor for a bit longer period of time. I might be wrong but I just figured I'd bring that idea up. -Gary

call me an idiot, but what are the oil problems the y6 has? and are they fixable. I'm pretty sure that the y6 that i have has close to 200,000 on it. so if it has an oil problem it dosen't seem to be an issue right now.

there you guys go . Time to get on the ball and answer some more questions.

Thanks Again,
Phmteck

Well Blanco that was a great site you led me to. Lots O' Info!! It almost seems like overkill on that 200,000 mile bottom end y7.

I think I might have found A z6 block near home. He wants $175 for complete engine. He said he would deal if I didn't need the head, which I don't.( I just need a couple valves.)

I see people use the y8 headgasket. should I use that or the one the z6 calls for?
Just curious!

Thanks,
PHMTECK

Back