Block Building

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
Okay, it's time to get some questions anwsered before I start putting money on the line. Right now my plan is to build a Bored N Sleeved B18C block, using the B16 head I have now for a turboable powerplant. My question, or first of many rather, is this. Do I need to do anything with the B16 block before I try and run it with a rebuilt Block? I mean does used head/rebuilt block match or does it need maint first. The valves were recently adjusted and the head has 70K miles on it. Thankx in advance.

70k is not much for the head, if you want to be safe, take it to a machine shop and have the surface checked, if its warped at all, mill it. get valve job done and just clean it out, maybe hot tank it. other than that you could really just swap it over, if you don't want to do all that now.

Thats what I thought but this guy was insistant, and he's a good mechanic, just more geared toward Chevy's. Is there a good site to do some readin on Hot tanking, what milling invloves, and the like? And you meant rebuilding the valve train when you said "valve job" right? And for the sake of argue ment if I was building for NA and not boost would the same hold true? WOuld the stock head flow enough air?

Back