Block Girdle Designs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

are there any advantages of the 5-main over 3-main block girdle? i was looking around on ERL's website and noticed they offer a 5-main block girdle, unlike the other ones ive seen(Endyn, z10, etc.). also Spoon offers a 5-main block girdle.

ERL:
web0034.jpg

Spoon:
oilpan4.jpg

ENDYN:
block_girdle335a.jpg

Z10:
z10_blockguard.jpg

The more you tie together, the more rigid the bottom end will be. Of course a 5 main girdle will be more stable than a 3 main, assuming the same build quality. People have been building 10k rpm engines on 3 main girdles for quite some time now though.

How do theres compare to the one on my stock gsr?

The GSR has a 3 main girdle stock. There's really no point in replacing your OEM 3 main girdle with an aftermarket 3 main girdle. If you want to go to the 5, go for it- but I'm sticking with my OEM GSR girdle.

Well believe me- I wouldn't mind having the 5 main girdle in my engine, but I've already built it with the 3 in there, so I'm not going to bother... not unless I have to rebuild the bottom end again.

does a b16a have a block girdle? im planning on buying a whole CRX SiR front clip. im planning on putting some aggresive cams so its going to be revved over 9000rpm alot; so the 5-main girdle be a better investment?

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Oct 27 2004, 08:07 PM
does a b16a have a block girdle? im planning on buying a whole CRX SiR front clip. im planning on putting some aggresive cams so its going to be revved over 9000rpm alot; so the 5-main girdle be a better investment?
[post=408342]Quoted post[/post]​

You can rev the B16 to 9000 without a girdle and not have any problems- but putting one in there is never a bad idea.

the b16 doesn't have one stock, and making th emove to one may require a different oil pickup/sump do to clearence issues

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 29 2004, 09:43 AM
the b16 doesn't have one stock, and making th emove to one may require a different oil pickup/sump do to clearence issues
[post=409043]Quoted post[/post]​

You generally have to move to the GSR oil pickup, windage tray, and pan with a girdle installation on a B block that didn't have a girdle before.

Back