block guard and girdle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
what is a block guard and what is a block girdle? what do they do and whats their function?

umm.... i know block guard is usually a cheap insurance policy for turbos, and its basically an insert if you will for between the sleeves and the block. i think

and i have no idea what a block girdle is.

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Apr 25 2004, 09:25 PM
what is a block guard and what is a block girdle? what do they do and whats their function?

Block guard = something you install into the water jacket between the sleeve and the block casting. It provides a direct brace for the sleeve so that it can't move. The advantage to using it is that you get more sleeve strength, but you usually have problems with sleeve distortion because you're ramming something in between the sleeve and the block, and you can run into cooling issues because you have something eating up lots of space in the water jacket. You can alleviate some of the problems inherent in using a block guard by having the block matched back up to your pistons and align bored after guard installation, but by that time- you're almost at the cost of a complete custom sleeve job.

Block girdle = a brace that goes on the bottom of the block. It usually connects the crankshaft mains together so that they are less prone to move about. More crankshaft stability = more reliability at high revs. The GSR, ITR, and CTR come with block girdles stock. You can get aftermarket pieces for other B blocks.

Block guard from Golden Eagle:

strpr_blockguard.jpg

strpr_blockguard2.jpg

Aftermarket girdle from Z10:

bgfront-small.jpg

thanks for the info guys! :thumbsup:

now would any of these be practical for a mildly built LS motor or would i be wasting my time with buying one...in particular the block girdle?

yeah, coudln't have said it better myself - Calesta

also, saw some show where some shop actually drilled into the block, put in studs around the top of the sleeves, so that the sleeves wouldn't move as much in upper rpms. Seemed pretty cool, for a DIY

Larry over at Endyn likes to post blocks. Go hit up his page and you'll see it: www.theoldone.com

He sells a stud kit that matches your block material for about $35. To me, it's better than using a block guard- if you install the studs correctly, there's no need to bore your block again.

Back