Block Guard

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tait72

I have a GSR block with a block guard.
While looking through the all motor, and Ls vtec, builds I read that the block guard can restrict the flow of coolant and was a bad idea for an all motor build, which is what I'm in the middle of.
If it restricts the flow of coolant isn't this an across the board effect, ie: turbo or all motor?
There wasn't a long discussion about it, so I'm just looking for a bit more info before proceeding with the bore/hone.
Thx

It restricts coolant flow in general. You're right there. Some are better than others though. Most have coolant passages to allow it to flow around the block guard. Check out reviews, and read up on articles about them. Some people think they're fine. Some think they are detrimental to the motor.

in general block gaurds on b series are unnecessary. You should do some research and figure out which one you have, and other peoples results with it.

Ok called the guy I bought it from, and its a custom piece, installed by Gord Busch Racing in Toronto.
I counted the coolant passeges and there are 52, looks very similar to a "Supertech".
I think it will flow enough and add some strength so I'm gonna use it.
Thx for the replies and advice.

Back