1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Block Guard

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Tait72, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Tait72

Tait72 Member

I have a GSR block with a block guard.
    While looking through the all motor, and Ls vtec, builds I read that the block guard can restrict the flow of coolant and was a bad idea for an all motor build, which is what I'm in the middle of.
    If it restricts the flow of coolant isn't this an across the board effect, ie: turbo or all motor?
    There wasn't a long discussion about it, so I'm just looking for a bit more info before proceeding with the bore/hone.
    Thx

2. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

It restricts coolant flow in general. You're right there. Some are better than others though. Most have coolant passages to allow it to flow around the block guard. Check out reviews, and read up on articles about them. Some people think they're fine. Some think they are detrimental to the motor.

3. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

plenty of engines with closed decks that make great numbers. mitsubishi engines.... :)

4. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

in general block gaurds on b series are unnecessary. You should do some research and figure out which one you have, and other peoples results with it.

5. Tait72

Tait72 Member

Ok called the guy I bought it from, and its a custom piece, installed by Gord Busch Racing in Toronto.
    I counted the coolant passeges and there are 52, looks very similar to a "Supertech".
    I think it will flow enough and add some strength so I'm gonna use it.
    Thx for the replies and advice.

6. Tait72

Tait72 Member

^^^^Typo 32 coolant holes

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted