block guards...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
I've read on block guards and most people say don't get them. Just resleeve the block. I'm building an LS/Vtec turbo, and I plan on pushing about 15 pounds of boost. Is it neccessary to sleeve it or can I just put a block guard. I mean, $1200+ compared to $200 for a block guard... :blink:

Thanks for all your help!!! :worthy: :worthy:

some say that it creates heat on the top of the sleeve....but i have one..in my lsv...i spray an 80 shot ...once in a while....no problems

Originally posted by scottp11@Aug 8 2005, 12:18 PM
I've read on block guards and most people say don't get them. Just resleeve the block. I'm building an LS/Vtec turbo, and I plan on pushing about 15 pounds of boost. Is it neccessary to sleeve it or can I just put a block guard. I mean, $1200+ compared to $200 for a block guard... :blink:

Thanks for all your help!!! :worthy: :worthy:
[post=537377]Quoted post[/post]​

If you really want to run that kinds psi on an LSV, I would highly recomend sleeving the block if you want it to be reliable.

Is that what it is? Heat on top of the sleeve? I just want to know what makes 'em so bad...

block gaurds restrict coolant flow seeing as you're basicly just plugging up a coolant passage. a lot of people run them with no problems, and a lot of people run without them with no problems. i've never seen any proof that they actually do anything other than potentially cause problems. what turbo were you plannin' on runnin' 10 lbs on? it's gonna be hp level and quality of your tune that's gonna start breakin' stuff, not the amount of boost. what kit were you looking at? post some more specific info about what setup you're lookin' at and a lot of people could probably point you in a good direction.

Sorry about not including the turbo info...

I haven't decided on which turbo i'm gonna go with, cuzz I'm gonna piece it together. I'm not in no hurry to finish this build so I'm taking my time and trying to build it up right. I had planned on a T3/T04E though. I want to make between 275-300 hp. But be able to make alot more when I want to turn the boost up. (forged pistons, con rods...)

Back